Final UNRAID Server build for Newbie
Hi, I'm going to order this build online tomorrow and would appreciate a quick look over to make sure everythings okay please.

Case: Fractal Define R3 (80)
PSU: Corsair 500w (43)
CPU: AMD CPU Athlon II 250 (45)
MB: ASRock 880GM-LE (50)
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000MHz Dual Channel (43)
Flash Drive: 8GB Corsair CMFVY3-8GB, Flash Voyager USB 3.0

HDD1: 2TB Hitachi cool spin 5k3000 (53)
HDD2: 2TB Hitachi cool spin 5k3000 (53)
(from scan.co.uk so if you c+p the hardware into their search, you'll get more details incase I haven't written enough)

My main problem atm is wifi. I've been alerted the wifi card I've chosen won't work with unraid and that no wifi cards will. If this is true, I'm in trouble so any type of solution please help.

I want to connect my unraid server to my MBP (htpc) via ethernet. I want my unraid server to have access to the internet 24/7 because it will download everything via sab/cp/sb. It will NOT be connected to my MBP all day (probably 2/hour a day) because I will use my MBP for work etc.
I really like those HDs and that case. Cool build.

I could be wrong but I believe that unRAID does not support wireless cards.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
avoid that mobo,,,

Lan chipset 8111E is a pain to get it to work under unRAID......

alternatives are ASRock 880GM-LE or ASUS M4A88T-M LE

CPU is great, RAM is perfect...
Thank you guys, I'll track down one of those mobos.
What about the wireless card business? I have my HTPC and Server hopefully up stairs next to eachother connected by USB. However, my HTPC will be off a lot. I wanted my server to be on 24/7 downloading what I need.
You won't be able to connect your server to the HTPC via USB. You will need an ethernet hub.
When I was streaming wirelessly from Unraid I went from ethernet port to a gigabit switch which then went to my router which is also gigabit with wireless n, I have pretty good sucsess streaming over wireless N, 5ghz worked better for me than 2.4ghz, but as I had more and more TV's with macs and PC's etc streaming from unraid I went hardwired in the end.

In your case it would be ethernet on your mobo to your router and stream to the htpc from there (make sure both are wireless N.... your router, and adapter in your htpc).
My HTPC is for now, my Macbook Pro (2011) model. My main problem is I want my unraid server to have a wireless connection to my router so it can download 24/7. What solution can I have for this? It will be connected to my MBP only 1/hour a day.

I will use an ethernet wire from my server to my MBP if I can get the server to work wirelessly because 1080p playback over ethernet >>> 1080p over wifi; whilst download speed will hardly change at all over wifi or ethernet.

So what do I buy to make this happen? Is there a special network card? Adapter?

(Otherwise, I guess I'll put the server downstairs with and connect it via ethernet to the modem). Sad

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hard...ptors-(usb)

if someone could reccomend me one from this page i will be very much obliged. Smile
You could get a wireless bridge that acts as network hub and receives the wireless connection from your router or get some homeplugs.
Thanks. What are those exactly? How much would they cost? Any examples?

Also could someone reccomend me a decent flash drive to put unRAID on. Thanks. Sorry for being such an idiot with this stuff.
Many users, myself included, use a Sandisk Cruzer 4GB Flash Drive. They are very affordable and pretty reliable as well.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I use a 4GB Kingston Data Traveller 101 G2.

~£5 from scan:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-kings...ng-urdrive
Patriot Xporter XT Boost 4GB Flash Drive http://ow.ly/1uI653

Now im not sure why your stressing about WiFi here,,,
Its so easy to set up...
wsume99 Wrote:Many users, myself included, use a Sandisk Cruzer 4GB Flash Drive. They are very affordable and pretty reliable as well.

That is what I use.

eskro Wrote:Patriot Xporter XT Boost 4GB Flash Drive http://ow.ly/1uI653

Now im not sure why your stressing about WiFi here,,,
Its so easy to set up...

will that stream 1080p?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Final UNRAID Server build for Newbie0