xbmc + Unraid + What Backup Solution?
Hi everyone!

Getting ready to build my first HTPC, I have done a whole lot of research in the past two weeks. I have decided on UnRaid to serve my video and music files and my shopping cart is full of parts.

I need a backup solution and am looking for suggestions. I'm looking to backup data from two computers (documents, photos, music) *as well as* all of those dvd rips that will be stored on my UnRaid server. While the two computers could simply be backed up to a single external hard drive, re-ripping all of those dvds in case disaster strikes is not an option to me. I would rather invest a little extra to backup everything.

Should I go for a second UnRaid system or go with FreeNAS or are there possibly simpler/better solutions than that? It will be used for nothing but backups (eg. I don't need the fancy FreeNAS features for example). What do other people use?

Would much appreciate any related input!
Thank you!
unRAID is great for backups!!
From the looks of it he wants to back up his unRAID. I would go with 2 unRAID servers personally. That's what I have done.
eskro Wrote:unRAID is great for backups!!
nope, backups are great for backups

unraid is a parity protection, single-disk recovery
Pretty unlikely that you will have two drives fail at the same time, parity protection provided by unraid which covers you against one drive failure should suffice IMO.

I could understand if you had real important data like pictures of kids etc but being paranoid enough to build two unraid servers just for a movie collection is a bit extreme IMO.
I wouldn't call it that unlikely though ... your psu failing in an unfortunate fashion could cause just that. Agree with the movie collection sentiment though Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I have two Unraid systems. The stuff I really care about are on both.

Thanks so much everyone!

I'm going to stick with just one UnRaid system for now and when my collection starts getting so large that a two disk failure becomes more likely (statistically), I'll add a backup UnRaid system. It will be on a decent UPS as well, so that should help keep it healthy.

Thanks again!
I'll throw in a vote for the FreeNAS, or full-blown FreeBSD server as a backup strategy since no one else did.

Friend of mine is moving to FreeNAS and quite happy with it, and I am testing the FreeBSD waters on some skunky old hardware - strictly backups at this point.

ZFS is looking like its worth the effort - at least for me.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
smiffy1989 Wrote:Pretty unlikely that you will have two drives fail at the same time, parity protection provided by unraid which covers you against one drive failure should suffice IMO.

I could understand if you had real important data like pictures of kids etc but being paranoid enough to build two unraid servers just for a movie collection is a bit extreme IMO.

I think its more encase of a large disaster. Flooding/fire/hurricane of course it would have to be off site though also.

Its only really extreme on the money side of things. If it took you days/weeks/months to rip your collection. If money isn't the factor then having a mirrored back up would allow you to just plug it and your back running with all your data. If all the second unraid box is doing is being a backup then it can be run on really low end hardware, only large cost is drives and the prices are steadily dropping all the time.
I bought a NAS (Synology DS211j) which is set to RAID 1. Automatic backup from computer of the house to the NAS is done each 5 days. I do an automatic backup of the NAS to an external USB harddrive once a week (the USB HD is always connected to the NAS).

So, I get a full backup solution that is 100% automatic. Of course, in case of fire it is not fire-proof.
Curious. What software do you use? Or do you do it all manually?
Keep in mind that RAID does not protect you from an accidental "rm -r" or other mistake or operating system error. It will happily duplicate the problem across your array.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc + Unraid + What Backup Solution?0