XBMC after Lion for noobs (request)
I updated my iMAC to lion so now my SMB sharing does not work for XBMC on my ATV 2. I have been reading these posts and from what I have gathered... the (Samba 3) method and the (NFS) method are what people seem to say is working. I'm hoping that someone will post a step-by-step tutorial that someone like me can use. Don't get me wrong... I come on here daily and learn everything I know because of the work you guys do and I am very thankful... you guys do a great job. But as far as these two methods for file sharing go, I have yet to find a tutorial that I could follow. Im guessing that it is too soon and someone is working on an easier way to do this right now (I hope so). But if someone could make a tutorial for us noobs (that assumes we don't know much)...

ie: open terminal >> (type this here) >> (type this next)... and so on...

it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I know you guys are working hard on this... and I might be asking a lot... so I understand if this takes a while to happen.. but I hope someone will do it.

Thank you in advance
http://www.johnlarge.co.uk/2011/07/19/os...t-working/
--
prophetizer Wrote:http://www.johnlarge.co.uk/2011/07/19/os...t-working/

I got stumped on that one.

I'm holding out for a 3rd party NFS or WebDAV GUI utility. I've been trying all night.
Have you bothered looking in the NFS threads? I feel everything is pretty well covered.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
And don't forget the wiki (my sig will show you)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
darkscout Wrote:Have you bothered looking in the NFS threads? I feel everything is pretty well covered.

I haven't yet, but I probably will. For the time being my will has been broken, but a good night's sleep and I'll be back at it again!
Here is my experience with NFS:

I had the official Build of XBMC installed and it did not work. Then i installed the nightly (Jul 18) and i can find the NFS share. But it is slower than SMB on Snow Leopard. The buffering is 4-5 times longer than on SL. Am i doing something wrong or is it just NFS?
Memphiz Wrote:And don't forget the wiki (my sig will show you)

Do you know if anything for instructions changes for 10.7 (Lion)? I know that apple included support (or more support) for NFS under the hood in 10.7.
Memphiz Wrote:And don't forget the wiki (my sig will show you)

-So my UID is 501. For iOS keep in mind that the user XBMC is running as is the user "mobile" which should have UID 501 also.
A basic configuration for exporting one PATH with NFS is looking like this:
/nfs/export -mapall=nobody -alldirs <ip> -

^^^^ I don't get this part. Do I need the UID for my iMAC and my Apple TV 2 to match??
if your UIDs are the same, don't bother with the mapall.
Code:
QUESTION: The Mac App Store has a program called OS X Lion Server. Would that do anything to help someone who is having problems connecting to XBMC? I would gladly pay that 50 to be done with this headache.
Server supposedly has a nice pretty gui around everything.

But if you can't configure /etc/exports with a text editor I question if you should be on the internet in the first place.
Code:
I'm very tempted to move this thread to off-topic. It has nothing to do with XBMC and everything to do with Apple's regression to Samba 2.0 in Lion.
davilla Wrote:I'm very tempted to move this thread to off-topic. It has nothing to do with XBMC and everything to do with Apple's regression to Samba 2.0 in Lion.

I don't understand why you would be so offended by this topic that you would actually suggest that it is unrelated. No one is blaming XBMC. The available network protocols for a group of people have changed, and for something like the ATV2 with a tiny amount of internal memory, that can make or break the whole set up. Why is this any different than all the other threads we have about setting up network shares for the ATV2?

We both know that droves of people will be coming here and asking about these very same issues. SMB isn't even the best protocol in the first place, and everyone who's not Microsoft has to use an implementation made from scratch. It was never a perfect solution, and we already had non-Mac OS 10.7 threads that show that.

Let us all join hands and walk the path of NFS together. or *cough*AFP support*cough* *ducks* :D
I'm offended because I told people to not upgrade to Lion or risk breakage. Now that breakage has occurred and the forums are starting to fill with users crying for help to re-gain SMB access.

But like moths to a flame, a new osx pops out, and people jump at upgrading without any thought what so ever as to the ramifications. Well, server side SMB is broke. It's an OS problem, not an XBMC problem and people will need to build/install/setup Samba 3.0 on their 10.7 boxes to fix it.

The ATV2 has not changed, the server side SMB has changed for 10.7. That was known before Lion came out and nothing has changed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC after Lion for noobs (request)0