XBMC after Lion for noobs (request)
The people who actually check forums like this before upgrading to 10.7 are in the minority. Just look at all the people who come here surprised about a new version "breaking" mysql support between two XBMC installs. Plus there are good reasons for wanting to upgrade to 10.7 that are not just because it's a shiny new toy. Every new mac from now on out will have 10.7 by default, as well. No matter what we would still have this situation on our hands.

For my own self I don't really care because my windows XP miniITX box is my main file server. I actually wanted to upgrade to 10.7 just so I could possibly help find a solution for the people who only have a 10.7 machine to serve up content. I still believe the best solution is to just get a router with a USB port or a NAS. Much more energy efficient and won't tie up any computer resources (not that it is significant). I'm very confidant that other easy solutions will come shortly for this situation. We're not the only ones facing this problem.
...perhaps too many threads for the same issues...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=844...stcount=36

Bye!
While I understand that the thread indeed is off-topic, I appreciate it exists as many of us XBMC users are impacted.

I may (or may actually) not be effected myself. My set-up:

Windows-7 acting as file server
Mac Mini with OSX Lion with XBMC
iMac with OSX Lion with XBMC
ATV with Crystalbuntu
ATV2 with latest official XBMC for ATV2

For whatever reason, both can still access my Win7 file server, but anymore stable. After watching a movie or so, I will need to reboot the file server (!!!); rebooting the Mac Mini or iMac does not help. After re-booting, everything works again for a while until it breaks again and I need to re-boot again.

Is this strange behavior potentially caused by the same SMB issue discussed here or unrelated? If unrelated, any idea what is driving this?

Thanks in advance!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:While I understand that the thread indeed is off-topic, I appreciate it exists as many of us XBMC users are impacted.

I may (or may actually) not be effected myself. My set-up:

Windows-7 acting as file server
Mac Mini with OSX Lion with XBMC
iMac with OSX Lion with XBMC
ATV with Crystalbuntu
ATV2 with latest official XBMC for ATV2

For whatever reason, both can still access my Win7 file server, but anymore stable. After watching a movie or so, I will need to reboot the file server (!!!); rebooting the Mac Mini or iMac does not help. After re-booting, everything works again for a while until it breaks again and I need to re-boot again.

Is this strange behavior potentially caused by the same SMB issue discussed here or unrelated? If unrelated, any idea what is driving this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Very strange behavior. The SMB issue should only affect Macs if they are acting as servers because XBMC itself has it's own SMB client that is unchanged by OS upgrades.
davilla Wrote:I'm offended because I told people to not upgrade to Lion or risk breakage. Now that breakage has occurred and the forums are starting to fill with users crying for help to re-gain SMB access.

But like moths to a flame, a new osx pops out, and people jump at upgrading without any thought what so ever as to the ramifications. Well, server side SMB is broke. It's an OS problem, not an XBMC problem and people will need to build/install/setup Samba 3.0 on their 10.7 boxes to fix it.

The ATV2 has not changed, the server side SMB has changed for 10.7. That was known before Lion came out and nothing has changed.

Did not mean to offend anyone, sorry. Like I said in my first post. I really do appreciate the work you guys do (Davilla and Memphiz... and many others)... U guys solve most of my problems with your posts... I did not read any of your warnings... ( I should have ). Me coming to this forum is usually more of a reaction to a problem when I have one than just checking in. Usually I can figure out how to fix my problems and I dont even post... this time I just cant get it. I'll probably just wait for something easier to come to light... (if it ever does)

But like I said... all of you computer savy guys work is much appreciated.
step*ur*game*up Wrote:QUESTION: The Mac App Store has a program called OS X Lion Server. Would that do anything to help someone who is having problems connecting to XBMC? I would gladly pay that 50 to be done with this headache.

So far no, not that I can see. I bought it just to play around with some stuff. It should allow one to easily enable WebDAV support that XBMC can use, but I think something is borked on my machine because it doesn't do anything and "personal web sharing" is stuck on.
Ned Scott Wrote:So far no, not that I can see. I bought it just to play around with some stuff. It should allow one to easily enable WebDAV support that XBMC can use, but I think something is borked on my machine because it doesn't do anything and "personal web sharing" is stuck on.

THANK YOU. I'm going to continue to try to get this to work.... I just need a break from it. I have UPnP working... so all is not lost. I just want my library to look good again like I had it before.
Here is what I'm doing to get things working. Thanks to kees667 for figuring a large portion of this out.

On the Mac, install a program called NFS Manager. Once installed, go to the "NFS Server" tab and click "Share Definitions." Click the + button to add the Volume that your media files are located, and then click "Select" to navigate to the share folder" (Note: It would make the next steps easier if all of your media files are in one folder, Ex. Media). Uncheck "read only" and make sure "Allow clients to also mount objects in the shared folder." The remaining options are your discretion, but I have mine setup to "[Not] map users" "System standard only" and "Allow access from any network or computer."

Next, SSH in to XBMC and input the following.
Code:
sudo apt-get install nfs-common

Create a directory in /media.
Code:
sudo mkdir /media[b]/Media (or whatever you choose)[/b]

Now mount the share to the directory you just created. Make sure your ip address, paths and Volume name are correct.
Code:
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.xx:[b]/Volumes/Media[/b] /media[b]/Media[/b]

Test to see if folder mounted properly.
Code:
ls /media[b]/Media[/b]    or   sudo ls /media[b]/Media[/b]
You should now see all the folders in your :Volumes/Media directory (TV, Movies, Music, etc.). Should look something like this:

Code:
user@XBMCLive:~$ ls /media[b]/Media[/b]
[color=red]Archive  DVR  Movies  Music  TV  Web Video[/color]
user@XBMCLive:~$

If you have a similar result, then the share has been successfully mounted. You can have this happen automatically at boot by doing the following.

Code:
sudo pico /etc/rc.local

Add this before the 0 at the end:
Code:
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.xx:[b]/Volumes/Media[/b] /media[b]/Media[/b]
sleep 10

Here's an example:
Code:
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
[i]mount -t nfs 192.168.1.xx:[b]/Volumes/Media[/b] /media[b]/Media[/b]
sleep 10[/i]
exit 0
Press CTRL+X then Y then ENTER to save changes.

Now in XBMC, go in and add a new share and type /media/Media/[Whatever name specific media is listed, (ex. TV)]

Hopefully this will help anyone who has been unable to get Lion and XBMC to play nice with each other. Hopefully, XBMC will one day support afp or the new smb protocol that Apple has implemented, but until then this will have to do. Cheers!
brandonjcreek, I don't understand the steps for mounting the NFS share. This will not work with ATV2/iOS, and isn't needed anyways since XBMC comes with its own NFS client.
brandonjcreek Wrote:Here is what I'm doing to get things working. Thanks to kees667 for figuring a large portion of this out.

On the Mac, install a program called NFS Manager. Once installed, go to the "NFS Server" tab and click "Share Definitions." Click the + button to add the Volume that your media files are located, and then click "Select" to navigate to the share folder" (Note: It would make the next steps easier if all of your media files are in one folder, Ex. Media). Uncheck "read only" and make sure "Allow clients to also mount objects in the shared folder." The remaining options are your discretion, but I have mine setup to "[Not] map users" "System standard only" and "Allow access from any network or computer."

Next, SSH in to XBMC and input the following.
Code:
sudo apt-get install nfs-common

Create a directory in /media.
Code:
sudo mkdir /media[b]/Media (or whatever you choose)[/b]

Now mount the share to the directory you just created. Make sure your ip address, paths and Volume name are correct.
Code:
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.xx:[b]/Volumes/Media[/b] /media[b]/Media[/b]

Test to see if folder mounted properly.
Code:
ls /media[b]/Media[/b]    or   sudo ls /media[b]/Media[/b]
You should now see all the folders in your :Volumes/Media directory (TV, Movies, Music, etc.). Should look something like this:

Code:
user@XBMCLive:~$ ls /media[b]/Media[/b]
[color=red]Archive  DVR  Movies  Music  TV  Web Video[/color]
user@XBMCLive:~$

If you have a similar result, then the share has been successfully mounted. You can have this happen automatically at boot by doing the following.

Code:
sudo pico /etc/rc.local

Add this before the 0 at the end:
Code:
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.xx:[b]/Volumes/Media[/b] /media[b]/Media[/b]
sleep 10

Here's an example:
Code:
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
[i]mount -t nfs 192.168.1.xx:[b]/Volumes/Media[/b] /media[b]/Media[/b]
sleep 10[/i]
exit 0
Press CTRL+X then Y then ENTER to save changes.

Now in XBMC, go in and add a new share and type /media/Media/[Whatever name specific media is listed, (ex. TV)]

Hopefully this will help anyone who has been unable to get Lion and XBMC to play nice with each other. Hopefully, XBMC will one day support afp or the new smb protocol that Apple has implemented, but until then this will have to do. Cheers!

yes! cant wait to try this when I get home... Thank you!
Ned Scott Wrote:brandonjcreek, I don't understand the steps for mounting the NFS share. This will not work with ATV2/iOS, and isn't needed anyways since XBMC comes with its own NFS client.

Code:
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.xx:/Volumes/Media /media/Media
[192.126.1.xx] is the Mac's IP address. [:/Volumes/Media] is where I keep all of my media files on my Mac, but this will vary with each user. [/media/Media] is the directory that was made within XBMC's Root file system. When you add /media/Media to the end of the command, it points that folder to the folder that is being shared on the host machine. Does that clear things up any?

I don't own an ATV, so I'm not sure how to fix it on that front. This is mainly for those using an HTPC running XBMC Live (Aspire REVO in my case). Hope someone can come up with an ATV/iOS solution for you guys.
brandonjcreek Wrote:
Code:
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.xx:/Volumes/Media /media/Media
[192.126.1.xx] is the Mac's IP address. [:/Volumes/Media] is where I keep all of my media files on my Mac, but this will vary with each user. [/media/Media] is the directory that was made within XBMC's Root file system. When you add /media/Media to the end of the command, it points that folder to the folder that is being shared on the host machine. Does that clear things up any?

I don't own an ATV, so I'm not sure how to fix it on that front. This is mainly for those using an HTPC running XBMC Live (Aspire REVO in my case). Hope someone can come up with an ATV/iOS solution for you guys.

No, I meant that I don't understand why you are telling us how to get it to work on XBMC Live when this is the iOS Specific Support forum.

Live or not, this isn't needed if you are using nightly versions of XBMC. Nightlies now include an NFS client within XBMC.
other working and easy alternative in Lion : FTP with PureFTPd
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106038
No command lines, only GUI. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC after Lion for noobs (request)0