a hard decision...for me, i need an advice which hardware
the 40gb corsair ssd is a great ssd, and you only need enough space run operating system. for storage, you can use these options and it's very fast- LaCie Minimus 2 TB USB 3.0 or Thermaltake BlacX Duet 5G Dual SATA 5.0Gbps 3 TB USB 3.0. here is more info on radeon 6570 (Sapphire Radeon HD 6570). everyone is different, but for me i preferred to spend my money on performance than a fancy case. with that said, antec case is still very fancy.
bluray Wrote:the 40gb corsair ssd is a great ssd, and you only need enough space run operating system

That's not entirely true your artwork is still cached on the same drive as the OS, if you want to cache your artwork at a larger size than the default or you want to use dds then you might want to think hard about the size especially dds files they are much larger than jpg/tbn

Maybe not so bad with linux but win 7 has a huge footprint I have a 30GB and wish I had gone larger especially as its good practice to stay below 80% max capacity if you want to maintain performance
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:That's not entirely true your artwork is still cached on the same drive as the OS, if you want to cache your artwork at a larger size than the default or you want to use dds then you might want to think hard about the size especially dds files they are much larger than jpg/tbn

Maybe not so bad with linux but win 7 has a huge footprint I have a 30GB and wish I had gone larger especially as its good practice to stay below 80% max capacity if you want to maintain performance
no special artwork on my htpc in the theater room. i want to enjoy the movie than artwork stuff. i keep it very simple so my kids and wife can easily operate it without this (deady please help me with this?).
I wasn't concerned with what you have just making it clear for anyone who might be considering purchasing a SSD especially with the lower powered systems where skins aren't going to run smooth without dds enabled

Win 7 + large library + dds enabled and space could disappear pretty quickly
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:I wasn't concerned with what you have just making it clear for anyone who might be considering purchasing a SSD especially with the lower powered systems where skins aren't going to run smooth without dds enabled

Win 7 + large library + dds enabled and space could disappear pretty quickly
i have 32gb in my htpc now, and it still have 9gb left. i installed both xbmc and w7 mce. i installed all kind of skins and add-on in mce. as long as you store other stuff in an external drive, you should be fine.

or you can do these to add more storage and it's very fast- Cables To Go 13423 Serial ATA and Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB. it's much cheaper than internal ssd.
I still don't see the point of buying an extra GFX Card. To cut on the price scrap the GFX card all together and use the core i3 internal one. It does provide full HW video acceleration. Also drivers for ATI cards are not much more mature then for the intel integrated. So, if you REALLY want an extra GFX go Nvidia.
bluray Wrote:i have 32gb in my htpc now, and it still have 9gb left. i installed both xbmc and w7 mce. i installed all kind of skins and add-on in mce. as long as you store other stuff in an external drive, you should be fine.

or you can do these to add more storage and it's very fast- Cables To Go 13423 Serial ATA and Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB. it's much cheaper than internal ssd.

If you want to stay below 80% capacity then you only have 25.6GB usable space which means you only have 2.6GB left unless you want crap performance from your SSD

Win 7 has a habit of growing over time which is probably why MS recommend 16GB for 32bit and 20GB for 64bit

In any case you seem to miss the point XBMC always caches your artwork on the same drive as the OS even if you have local artwork in with your media stored on another drive as your library grows so will your cache and if your using dds then it can get pretty big, if someone running a large server with loads of media got a 32GB SSD and was running windows and using dds then they would have problems straight away

I'm not posting to disagree with you I'm posting so people can make an informed choice Smile
>>X<<' Wrote:Win 7 has a habit of growing over time which is probably why MS recommend 16GB for 32bit and 20GB for 64bit
it's not going to grow if you don't update anyting

>>X<<' Wrote:In any case you seem to miss the point XBMC always caches your artwork on the same drive as the OS even if you have local artwork in with your media stored on another drive as your library grows so will your cache and if your using dds then it can get pretty big, if someone running a large server with loads of media got a 32GB SSD and was running windows and using dds then they would have problems straight away
i understood that the artwork cashes are operates on the same drive as os. i agreed that if you running xbmc or any player with a lot of artworks, you'll have problem with the 32gb. for most users, it'll be fine with 32gb and 40gb corsair that i suggested above.
i am getting sick….
but i think i finally come to an end in finding the right hardware…but i still have some problems where i need your help.

Case: Wesena ITX7
Board: Asus P8H67-I (b3)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500T
8GB Kingston Hyperspeed
GPU: Nvidia GT430 or something else more powerful, still searching… (passiv)
2,5" Harddrive (in near future a 128gb SSD)
slot-in bluray writer (still looking)
dvb-c tv card linux supported (still looking)

for this wesena case there is only a 120 watt external power supply recommended (on their website)
is it possible to have an external 350watt (or stronger) power supply? if yes, can you recommend one?
i dont know anything about power supply these days. a strong graphics card need a lot of power, right?
what can i do?

it has to be that wesena case….
you wont need more than 120w and the nvidia gfx card you chose is just fine, a ssd save your money.

slot bluray http://goo.gl/1oH4O

linux compatible tv cards http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-C_PCI_Cards
X3lectric : that sounds good!
but why is everybody sayin that this configuration wouldnt work with 120watt and i need to buy a bigger case with 350w ?
is there a problem with 120watt, if i choose to play a 3d 1080p while i record a tv show (for example) ?

it would be really great if i could put everything (from my list) in this box. do you think i will get heat problems? are there fans available which are really quiet?

and last…the gfx card. is there a nvidia card available that i can put in this case (120w) but slightly/more powerful than the gt430? directx 11 (maybe one where i can play some dolphin emu @720p)

…my english is really bad, sorry about that!
ok 120w is more than adequate, at a push they do a 150w (but ok 150 for extra just in case shit), no matter what file type your gonna throw at it. fans are not a problem depending on space fansize you want/have

I recommend fractal design fans they very good and quiet.

Thers also a internal remote receiver that you can install in this but to be honest a extenal is just as good if you dont mind the extra wires.
scarfi Wrote:X3lectric : that sounds good!
but why is everybody sayin that this configuration wouldnt work with 120watt and i need to buy a bigger case with 350w ?
is there a problem with 120watt, if i choose to play a 3d 1080p while i record a tv show (for example) ?

it would be really great if i could put everything (from my list) in this box. do you think i will get heat problems? are there fans available which are really quiet?

and last…the gfx card. is there a nvidia card available that i can put in this case (120w) but slightly/more powerful than the gt430? directx 11 (maybe one where i can play some dolphin emu @720p)

…my english is really bad, sorry about that!
I am recommending use this to calculate overall power consumption, and you can enter everything in the calculator. It'll provide proper power consumption for your system. It's better to have slightly more power than not enough power. eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5
i used this site to calculate my power consumption and it says 145w @90% systemload (all components) …i still dont know if thats ok with 120w
go for 150W. Or contact them to see if they have 250w 145 @ 90% is not bad if you dont stress system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
a hard decision...for me, i need an advice which hardware0