"XBMC has stopped working" - Help
Hi all

As this is my first post here a quick hello to you all, my nickname is greboth hence the username too. I am from the UK and I love videos so love xbmx too. I always feel cheeky asking for help in my first post but I am stumped so need to ask for some help.

Basically my problem is that I launch XBMC, I get the black screen with XBMC in silver. Then a windows pop up telling me XBMC Has stopped working.

My machine
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (version 6.1)
CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090t
RAM: 8Gb Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz
HDD: OCZ 60 Gb SSD, 2 x 2tb Seagate Barracuda's 1x 1tb Samsung Spinpoint
Motherboard: Gigabyte-890GPA-UD3H (original BIOS, trying to find what it is)
Sound: Asus Xonar DG, driver version 5.12.0001.0008
GPU: Nvidia GTX 470, driver version 8.17.12.5896
XBMC version 10.1

Obviously I can't post a debug log as I can't get into XBMC to enable it in settings but if you want anymore info just ask.

The one problem I think it could be is I know xbmc 10.1 worked but then I switched out some of my hdd's for new ones and drive letters got switched. I have tried a fresh instal of xbmc but I get the same problem. If this is the cause I presume XBMC leaves a log file behind and a fresh instal re-uses the informtion but I don't know as I can't find anything that seems to be it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I said also, I don't really know what else I can post not being able to get into xbmc but anything else just ask.

Greboth.
You can always try after an uninstall removing the two directories that XBMC uses manually. Then performing a new install. I believe they are

C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Roaming\XBMC

C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC

otherwise I got no idea.
Thanks for the suggestion, but both of them get removed in the normal un-install process. If it is something along these lines, I can't find the file or folder that gets left.
Typically, C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Roaming\XBMC won't get removed during the uninstall process. But it is a hidden folder, so you'll have to type it in manually to reach it.
Usually when it stops working I just do Ctrl alt dlt Then go to Processes and I see that something like XBMC.exe is opened I just click on end taxt and it usually boots up fine with no problem.
natethomas Wrote:Typically, C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Roaming\XBMC won't get removed during the uninstall process. But it is a hidden folder, so you'll have to type it in manually to reach it.
if AppData is hidden, you can select the option shown hidden folder in control panel to see it. he probably have the previous settings in this folder that needed to be deleted before installing a new xbmc!
Quote:Obviously I can't post a debug log as I can't get into XBMC to enable it in settings but if you want anymore info just ask.

You can enable debug settings by creating an advancedsettings.xml file. See the wiki here

You'll want to add the bit about log level
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel hide="false">2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
natethomas Wrote:Typically, C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Roaming\XBMC won't get removed during the uninstall process. But it is a hidden folder, so you'll have to type it in manually to reach it.

I know the folder is usually hidden but I had show hidden files on and it definately gets removed. Whether this is down to selecting the option in uninstal to remove profile folder (or something like that, can't remember exactly) that means it is removed.

rocketpants Wrote:You can enable debug settings by creating an advancedsettings.xml file. See the wiki here

You'll want to add the bit about log level
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel hide="false">2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Thank you for that Smile I didn't see that in the wiki. I will do it when I get home and post the results.
I assume the point of using the pastebin sites is to post the link to it not the whole log in my post?

I think I did this right with adding the advanced settings as my log is now longer than originally.

Link to the pastebin of the log though Smile
http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=dY9ReVYi

Thank you for the advice so far.
okay- let try these steps:

1. un-install xbmc control panel "add or remove program"
2. make sure xbmc folders are deleted from here- C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC and C:\Users\Crow\AppData\Roaming\XBMC
3. in start>programs>accessories>command prompt>type regedit
4. in registry editor do click edit>find and type xbmc in the search box to search it
5. any line come up with xbmc in it, you can delete it
6. re-install darma 10.1
7. launch xbmc
8. it should work now

if you're interesting in hd audio, you can launch xbmc from this folder- xbmc_hd_audio. with your dts-hd/truehd capable video card and avr, you'll see red dts-hd/truehd flash on your avr display. note- if you have any special playercorefactory configuration for external player, you might want to turn it off.

if you're using win7 mce, here are step by step to pass-through dts-hd and truehd codecs to your avr via hdmi:

1. download- w7 codec pack
2. download- shark007 32bit. if you're running w7 x64, you have to download this too- shark007 64-bit
3. follow this step by step visual instruction after 1&2 downloaded and the settings have to be correct for it to work properly- (dts-hd and truehd pass-through)

you'll see red dts-hd and truehd display on your avr during bd playback. i tried gnomeo/juliet (dts-hd) and how to train your dragon (truehd) using both xbmc and mce, and both players can playback dts-hd and truehd fine.
Good thinking but no Sad Still exactly the same with the same error log being generated as above.
Try a higher level of Debug. I can not see anything going wrong with what is given in the Debug.
Greboth Wrote:Good thinking but no Sad Still exactly the same with the same error log being generated as above.
when you switched out hdd, did you re-installed windows?
Reading the wiki, I think I have this right. My advancedsettings.xml now reads
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel hide="false">3</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Debug text
http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=t3ik6MaA

I don't see any difference though :confused2:

@bluray: no I didn't re-install windows. Not sure where this is going but I know of windows 7 liking to install over all hdd's plugged in and while I can't say for definate as I can't remember I am pretty certain only my ssd was connected during the install. Also all files and folders of the removed 1tb we copied to the newly input 2tb.
Perhaps you can try a portable install. Install XBMC to something other than c: and then start with the -p flag (see wiki extract below). Once you do that it will create a portable userdata folder and you can add the advancedsettings loglevel bit there.

No idea if this will help but it would break any leftover paths to the standard install location.

Quote:Can XBMC be run in portable mode?

If you wish, you may run XBMC in portable mode by adding the -p switch to the shortcut used to launch XBMC. This will then use the XBMC folder itself as the Home folder, which means scripts, plugins, skins and userdata will be located in the 'portable_data' folder within the XBMC folder. This is useful for running XBMC for Windows off a USB stick for portability.

You will, however, have to be careful when upgrading to make sure that the UserData folder you use is not overwritten.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"XBMC has stopped working" - Help0