Graphics Card Noise
I'm planning an HTPC for my living room. I'm really sensitive about noise, so it must be silent.

That means a nice and quiet PSU which I have found.... it also means a quiet graphics card.

I've been looking at something along the nVidia 430 GT or Radeon 6570 lines... and I'm worried about noise and heat.

I believe the case I've selected allows for full height cards, and there are silent options for both of them - big passive heatsinks. However I don't like passive cooling, it causes components to be very hot indeed, and means when troubleshooting you have to consider cooling the component down with a fan to eliminate it from any problems. Additionally good airflow is needed so that the ambient inside the case is not too different from the room temperature, otherwise the passive heatsink will get too hot.

If I go with one with a decent fan instead, then I don't need to worry so much about the ambient temperature in the case as the heatsink will be closer to it.

The problem is that I don't know how noisy the cards are. I know that the very small fans are terrible and I wouldn't let one near my house. I also know that there's fan setups that are only designed to look good on paper - PowerColor PCS fans are terrible, their lowest speed is far too high.

Does anyone have a 430 or 6570 with fan(s) that's very quiet?
If you have a passive card and a large 120mm fan in the case, you can have low temps and low noise levels.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
Well, it'd be acceptable, but not low enough in an HTPC - or not as low as I'd like under ideal circumstances. A card with a fan that can spin very slowly will do the job better.

Best of all though would be mounting a 40mm fan on the card. Scythe do a nice quiet one which I've used in the past on NB/SB.

At the moment though I'm leaning towards an XFX passive 6570 which I can then attach an 80mm fan to, which I can spin as slow as it goes.

If anyone finds this thread, is running Windows and has a noisy graphics card in their HTPC, then MSI Afterburner is a handy piece of software and it may be able to create a better fan profile than the stock one.

I'm thinking passive+80mm fan though as I've not read a single review where a low end graphics card gets a good review on fan noise.
I think you might be working a bit too hard here. My setup is so quiet i have to really check to see that it is still running when the TV is off. I did nothing special to keep the sound down. The case came with silent fans.
Check my signature for my setup.
The MSI card works great and I do not ever hear the GPU fan spin up etc. MSI cards use screws on their heatsinks and fans. Thus you can easily change them out, clean them etc. No plastic rivets to break etc. MSI usually puts some thought in to their fan designs as well rather than slapping on a noisemaker and calling it a day.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Thanks, Outatouch0.. I probably am... although measure twice, cut once...

I'm getting a similar case to the one from your build... it looks like it may not need low profile expansion cards... am I right there?

Also, with the pentium and the 520.. how fast do you find XBMC to be?
Check these out...

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/enterta...enter.html
here are your choices-

HIS H657H1G Radeon HD 6570 1GB

SeaSonic X series SS-400FL Active PFC F3 400W

SilenX iXtrema Pro 120mm
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hmm, I was looking at an XFX passive rather than the HIS - broadly the same thing though.

I've picked a Huntkey 300W, as I feel it's the best choice for a PSU. The Seasonic X is what I use in my main rig at the moment, the 650W, however the 400W fanless isn't a good buy really. For all X types the fan doesn't spin up unless it's needed, so on an HTPC you don't need the fanless (although it's a little better inside).

The thread was really to find an alternative to a passive though, rather than a passive for the reasons I mentioned above I prefer active cooling - I just need it to be good!
i think you should start by linking us to your desired HTPC parts,,,

after that, we'll have abetter idea overall and we,ll recommend you stuff accordingly,,

peace
Quartermass Wrote:Hmm, I was looking at an XFX passive rather than the HIS - broadly the same thing though.

I've picked a Huntkey 300W, as I feel it's the best choice for a PSU. The Seasonic X is what I use in my main rig at the moment, the 650W, however the 400W fanless isn't a good buy really. For all X types the fan doesn't spin up unless it's needed, so on an HTPC you don't need the fanless (although it's a little better inside).

The thread was really to find an alternative to a passive though, rather than a passive for the reasons I mentioned above I prefer active cooling - I just need it to be good!
you seems to be all over the map. as eskro said, what are your hardwares (case, mobo, cpu, etc). since you mentioned that you want your htpc to be silent, we'll suggest the proper psu, video card, etc to go along with the information you'll provide us.

you must have a hunk of htpc for it to require 650w.
The 650W is the main PC, not the HTPC. The main PC is what I run XBMC on now (as well as everything else). The HTPC will just be to run XBMC, my main PC will remain, and my server will also remain.

So far I've selected a Silverstone Grandia case. A micro ATX H61 motherboard - I haven't decided which yet. i3-2400. PSU will be a 300W Huntkey Jumper.

As I said in the original post I'm not looking for a recommendation on a PSU, I don't think there's any need to consider alternatives there.

I also don't see why I'm having to justify myself here. All I asked for was a recommendation on a graphics card with a fan on it. Instead I'm getting bad and wrong recommendations from people who have not read what I've written, who just seem to want to dictate to me what I should be doing, and speaking down to me as if I'm some kind of idiot.

I've asked a great deal of questions here, and few if any have been answered. Most of the time I get half an answer to a question I've not asked. The people that have been the most helpful, for the most part, have been the other people who are new to XBMC.

The only helpful response so far in this thread has been from Outatouch0.

I do feel a little guilty about the tone I'm taking with you though Eskro, I've read your guides several times and found your posts to be very helpful.
Quartermass Wrote:The 650W is the main PC, not the HTPC. The main PC is what I run XBMC on now (as well as everything else). The HTPC will just be to run XBMC, my main PC will remain, and my server will also remain.

So far I've selected a Silverstone Grandia case. A micro ATX H61 motherboard - I haven't decided which yet. i3-2400. PSU will be a 300W Huntkey Jumper.
this is the info we're missing from your main post. since you are sensitive to noise and you want something silent as stated, we thought that you want something that is nearly no noise. to suggest something that is silent, it have to be fanless because there will always be some noises with fan.

these might work then-

i can barely hear any noise from it in a mini-itx case- SilenX iXtrema Pro 120mm

i installed one of these in my friend htpc, it performs very well and it seems to be very quiet- SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB
Quartermass Wrote:Thanks, Outatouch0.. I probably am... although measure twice, cut once...

I'm getting a similar case to the one from your build... it looks like it may not need low profile expansion cards... am I right there?

Also, with the pentium and the 520.. how fast do you find XBMC to be?

Definitely do not need a low profile GPU card as this is a full size case. Really easy to work with. You will not be sorry. I think the solid nature of the case plays a part in the noise dampening as well. The fans that came with mine are near as silent as any fan can be. If you don't get so lucky just replace the fans.
I am no fan of passive cooling a GPU either but for a non graphics intense system (heavy gaming) such as XBMC I think the 3 120mm case fans make this adequate. Not saying I personally would do it but I wouldn't tell someone else it was wrong.

When I build a system, performance is my priority (balanced with cost) and I am very pleased with my system. The G620 is all the performance necessary for just about anything and from what I understand is about as much processing power as XBMC is able to utilize. ie XBMC wont take advantage of hyperthreading, additional cores, etc.

I do run this with an SSD and really the biggest performance boost comes from these. Plus noise and heat reduction as well. The cost difference between the i3 and G620 can almost buy your SSD.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Thank you very much indeed for another reply! That really helps.

Since it's a full sized case it means I can go for the XFX card I linked, and mount an 80mm fan directly on to it. You can get very quiet fans these days (they just spin slow) and I'll put 7v into the fan. That'd end up being a triple width card, so all I need to ensure is that the case would take that... I think it would... and that I pick a motherboard that would take it while still leaving some slots open.

From what you've said I could go for an ATX not just a micro ATX board, right? If that's the case then I should be able to leave a PCI and PCIe slot open should I later want to add something.

I'm going to take your advice and get a lower processor than I had intended... I always tend to err on the overkill, but I'll do down that route. I've seen very little reviews of the G620 but it doesn't really matter, it'll idle at the same or better than the i3-2100. I'll see how much money is in the kitty when it comes to it, and if there's a surplus I'll go for the 2100t (which is an extravagence I know), otherwise it'll be the little Pentium that could.
Quartermass Wrote:I also don't see why I'm having to justify myself here. All I asked for was a recommendation on a graphics card with a fan on it. Instead I'm getting bad and wrong recommendations from people who have not read what I've written, who just seem to want to dictate to me what I should be doing, and speaking down to me as if I'm some kind of idiot.

Please be careful here friend. People are taking their free time to read your post and consider your situation. If you get critisim you can use it can only imporve your final setup - measure twice... let someone else measure too.
Follow-up posts are not likely to restate what a previous poster said, that is hardly helpful. More helpful is to point out some other angle that has not been brought up yet. If it helps great, if not...your eyes wont have bled from reading it.
Everyone knows it is your choice in the end. No one agrees with each other 100% on any of this stuff but you rarely see anyone arguing over it either.

Also, remember not everyone's first language is English so sometimes there are misunderstandings in that way too..
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Graphics Card Noise0