Buffering 720p using Samba
I'm getting a lot of buffering via samba shares on 720p videos e.g. 50 minute video =2GB. This from unraid.

e.g. twin peaks 720 itunes DL 50 minute program had 3 buffers, one right at the start
simpsons 720p episode had 1 buffer at the start, 1 4 mins in.

This is via a homeplug T-link which I'd think would be decent at giving a speed...

I don't quite understand because copy+pasting, I get enough MB/S to transfer the file in time. I'm sure streaming doesn't work like that though... so any hints/tips on this.

I've heard enabling NFS sharing helps but I can't seem to enable it on my windows 7 or macbook machine. I've followed online guides for Mac but it seems very so-so. So if someone could help me with NFS or any other fixes, I'd be very grateful.

edit: i enabled NFS on my dad's macbook.
however my MBP says: "you don't have permission to view these contents"... help please
SMB on Unraid has always been fast enough for me to stream 3D Blu Ray ISOs (aka WAY beyond what you are doing).

The issue is not SMB, it is that powerline network. XBMC doesn't allow for a lot of buffer. Either the network is fast enough, or things simply don't work.

I see. damn.

How can I measure my networks speed? I'm using a BT Homehub 2.0... im guessing thats not good?

what would you reccomend as a good network setup? right now mine is a BT Homehub 2.0 + powerline adaptors for the HTPC with poor wifi.
No way you can run real ethernet cables? If not 802.11N 5GHZ might be only option.

My modem is upstairs and so is my server. My HTPC is downstairs.

What would you suggest?
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
If you want to measure your network speeds then you can try downloading iperf.
It will basically give you the max throughput of your network between server and client.
However it does not mean you will get that throughput when streaming. There are loads of tutorials on using iperf just google.

In general nfs will give you the best throughput compared to smb, although saying that smb between windows server and client is pretty good, or at least should be enough to do 720p. If you are streaming between a windows server to a linux/osx using nfs then you need to make sure your nfs server is using a block size of 32768, this will give you the max transfer rate. I use hanewin nfs sever on a windows 7 machine streaming to my er1401 running openelec/xbmclive/win7 and it all works fine even with 1080p. Hanewin nfs offers a 30 day trial, again lots of tutorial on getting that setup.

I would say your problem might be to do with your powerline, I use one of those too and the best I can get out of that is probably about 50Mb, but that is enough for 1080p or at least with most 1080p. So I would suggest try iperf to see what you can get with your powerlines, or an easy way is just bring up task manager on your server and look at the network chart, that will give you an idea of how much it is pushing.

With powerlines I have a netgear 200Mb, its not the best and can be dodgy but it all depends on the wiring in your house. One thing I have learnt is changing which sockets to use can make a huge difference, and also making sure certain sockets are not being used by other appliances if that is an option. So for those I would suggest turning off and unplugging unnecessary electronics from the wall sockets, find which two sockets work best with your powerlines, and then slowly turning appliances on and see which ones effect performance. Oh also try to avoid having the powerlines on extension cables. So to give you an idea if I have my phone charging on a socket that is in my bedroom which is on the 3rd floor of my house, when I stream from my garage to my lounge which is on the 2nd floor, I only get a throughput of ~20Mb, but if I unplug it then I get ~50Mb.

If you are using wireless then it all depends on your signal, so try iperf or task manager to see what it can push, and if it can push quite a bit then its probably because of smb, in which case nfs will hopefully solve your problems.

I would say in most cases a good wireless should be able to do 720p, but I much prefer powerline. Unfortunately I dont have the option of running ethernet cables but if you do then that is the obvious answer.
thanks for your responses.

I think I have something really wrong with my network.

I just checked on windows 7 using my powerline adaptors, transfer rate was 1mb/s which i presume is pretty dreadful. That was the same via SMB or NFS ... NFS was slower actually.

Powerline was the cloest thing I could think of to wiring so I'm really open to suggestions now since these TP-link powerplugs seem pretty useless ATM given the speeds they're producing.

I'm moving into an apartment in a few days where the modem is downstairs and my server will probably be upstairs. If there are any products / solutions for that, i'd be very happy.
ok in which case check to see what your server is connecting as with your modem/router. I assume your server is connected through ethernet to the modem, so that should be 100Mb.
how do i check that using unraid? i'm still pretty new to this. Sad
there is a wiki for unraid, so I hope you are comfortable with linux, not used it myself so cant give you anymore than this link.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...nection.3F

If you have a laptop then connect to the modem with ethernet and do a transfer of a file, if it is still being capped at 10Mb (~1 megabyte per sec) then it does sound like you have a network problem.
aoaaron Wrote:My modem is upstairs and so is my server. My HTPC is downstairs.

What would you suggest?

Run ethernet cables is the best solution imho. One that will work every time. It can be easy to camouflage the cables too.
thanks for the advice. im thinking ethernet is the way to go now. might buy a couple of 100M ethernet cables lol..

I've read about the possible solutions:
1) better modem - airport express extreme?
2) second router acting as a repeater and then an ethernet cable running from that.

thoughts much appreciated because SB has d/led a lot of HD content now so I really have to step up my network or trash my entire collection.

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
Link detected: yes

Looks like its going at 100MB/s. My modem is a BT homehub 2.0. Is it capable of gigabit or do I have to invest in a new one?
A couple of weeks ago when I imported my data to the server, I did it through ethernet and that ran at like 11MB/s if I remember correctly.

I think that means my network is at 100mbit.

I presume I need 1 gigabit and I'm really really in need if someone can advise me how to this. Would it also improve the wifi transfers? 250MB files takes a minute so I'm gueesing its 2MB/s.
100Mb is more than enough for 1080p, 1 gigabit is not going to improve your wifi, you are better of using ethernet and try to hide those cables.
I thought 1gbit would improve my powerplug connections (?).

Running cables in my apartment is problematic because I can't tack stuff to the walls/permanent damage. If someone can provide some kind of solution, I'd be very very grateful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering 720p using Samba0