multi-tasking audio would be nice on the iPad version
I've got XBMC installed on my Linux Home Theatre PC (Mythbuntu), my AppleTV2, and my iPad2. It's a brilliant programme.

On the iPad, many audio/online-radio programmes such as "TuneinRadio" allow you to multi-task so that you can listen to online radio while browsing the internet in Safari. This is about the limit of the iPad's multi-tasking ability. This limited form of multi-tasking was added a few versions ago to iOS.

Unfortunately I've noticed that XBMC on iPad does not support this "multi-tasking" ability. I'm able to listen to my mp3s and podcasts stored on my Linux box in XBMC on the iPad but as soon as I press the home button on the iPad to get back to the main iOS screen the audio mutes.

I think multi-tasking AUDIO would be a good feature to add to the iPad port of XBMC. The version of iOS that can be jailbroken (4.3.3) on the iPad2 is capable of doing audio multi-tasking. Just my 2 cents. Smile
Not possible without true multitasking. XBMC is a very large app and takes a lot of resources. It's a miracle that we even got it working under iOS at all Smile
(2011-08-28, 15:24)davilla Wrote: Not possible without true multitasking. XBMC is a very large app and takes a lot of resources. It's a miracle that we even got it working under iOS at all Smile

Hi there
I guess the same is so for android, though the AndriodTV box I am using has 2gb ram, which is the same as the old Windows8 PC I had been using for XBMC (Asrock 330 HT)

The Android TV box runs xbmc snappier than the PC, has a faster processor and 4 core graphics... so (from my rather limited understanding of what it takes to run xbmc on a device) it seems it may not be only the limited resources which prevents audio from playing when alt-tabbing to read gmail or go to facebook etc.

Id be interested to know if you think the situation has changed in 2 years since this post was created Wink

Cheers
Mark.
Oh, it has changed, but not in the way you want. Right now iOS does have audio multitasking, but Android is still waiting for it :)
(2013-09-29, 04:29)Ned Scott Wrote: Oh, it has changed, but not in the way you want. Right now iOS does have audio multitasking, but Android is still waiting for it Smile

Hi Ned,
Ok cool... I do see some progress, the build I have now will not kill xbmc if you alt tab out, and xbmc will pause the media you were playing, hold your spot and when you return to xbmc, you just play again... so that is progress, fine for video of course, but (stating the obvious) it would be great to get it so xbmc music playback continues when multitasking ...

Cheers mate
Mark.
Than just do it? If you bring xbmc into the background the music is paused - true. Just go to your running app selector and swipe to the left where the music controls are. You should see the XBMC icon (indiciating XBMC is the current active background player) and you can unpause the music there while xbmc is kept in the background...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
multi-tasking audio would be nice on the iPad version0