2nd Gen ASROCK Vision 3d
Kratlusker Wrote:People that wont buy this HTPC because of the price, they dont really have to convince us who bought it, that it can be build cheaper. We know Smile

But I would like to see a homebuild HTPC, not just with better spec to a smaller price, but same build quality (Using case as heat sink with copper pipes, low powered hardware, good looking case with no visible ugly optical drives and so on.) And if you manage to find such a well build homemade HTPC, then I would like to hear how many weekends and endless hours it took to cut out every port to fit hardware like built in ir-reciever on the alu case and how long it took to find the right heatsink for his CPU and GPU and bending the heat pipes so he could get almost passive cooled HTPC only helped by a little fan when you're gaming. I just paid Asrock to do this for me. And I'm all happy about that Smile

You are describing the miniITX form factor very common place these days. There are even several web sites dedicated to selling/recommending those setups for those that need assistance.

Buying/ordering parts should take 30-60 minutes + assembly another 20-30 minutes. Installing an OS, 30 minutes.

I'd rather save $500 and spend the 2 hours. But, I'm not knocking the quality, I'm sure it is very good. For those without experience and/or understanding of hardware - it is perfect. For us that have built systems and know how easy it is - we save $.

enjoy your system, I'm sure it is great - just for those reading, know there are many alternatives for lower $.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Kratlusker Wrote:People that wont buy this HTPC because of the price, they dont really have to convince us who bought it, that it can be build cheaper. We know Smile

But I would like to see a homebuild HTPC, not just with better spec to a smaller price, but same build quality (Using case as heat sink with copper pipes, low powered hardware, good looking case with no visible ugly optical drives and so on.) And if you manage to find such a well build homemade HTPC, then I would like to hear how many weekends and endless hours it took to cut out every port to fit hardware like built in ir-reciever on the alu case and how long it took to find the right heatsink for his CPU and GPU and bending the heat pipes so he could get almost passive cooled HTPC only helped by a little fan when you're gaming. I just paid Asrock to do this for me. And I'm all happy about that Smile
we are not arguing that which htpc looks better. we are not saying that there is anything wrong with the pre-built asrock either. we're not against those who bought it either. look is very subjective matter. things that look good to you may not look good to others.

we are simply said that we can build it with the same spec and to our liking for less money. again, you may not like how our case looks, but we selected the case and hardware to our liking.

you made it seem very hard to build htpc. it is very simple. it took me two days or less to receive my hardware from amazon, another 30 minutes to put the hardware together and another hour to install software. there is no cutting, bending, drilling or any other funny business involved.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hi bluray,
what mainboard do you recommend for building a htpc like the asrock that has a build-in IR Receiver which is able to wake up the system from S5 state?

Thank you.
soulchar Wrote:Hi bluray,
what mainboard do you recommend for building a htpc like the asrock that has a build-in IR Receiver which is able to wake up the system from S5 state?

Thank you.
you need one of these wesena mini-itx7-2 with ir/remote option. and one of these- H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard or ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo or any mobo of your choice!
Quote:Fact is, with the Asrock Vision you get a very compact machine, in a nice and small aluminium case, with integrated IR and a slot in bluray. You want it? You pay it. Just don't say that your 3 or 4 times bigger htpc is better and cheaper, because it isn't true.
Word mate...

Anyways regarding high price tag or not or the fact one can build one cheaper is not an issue for me. I want that htcp and im willing to pay for it and the quality of an oem built one. Since my htpc is important for me i don't mind the pricetag, it's all about priorities.

When some benchmarking has arived and i know it will run xbmc without driver issues or things like that then i will purchase one securing my xbmc machine for a couple of years atleast Smile

Cheers.
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
alex84 Wrote:When some benchmarking has arived and i know it will run xbmc without driver issues or things like that then i will purchase one securing my xbmc machine for a couple of years atleast Smile
Cheers.
don't be suprise if you run into issue. i returned/sold almost 10 media players for the last several years. their spec/benchmark shown that their player can supports dts-hd/truehd, but none of the one i returned/sold can do as what stated in their spec/benchmark sheet.
Hmmm... Anybody found any further info on this nifty little thing?

The last thing i heard was release by early October?!
I was making all the calcs... and I don't know how you can build the same configuration for half price.
Check list: (with newegg)

Intel Core i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz ---134 $$
H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard --- 124$$

Thermal Take Element Q (plastic) or Wesena Mini ITX7-2 Case (aluminion) 65 $$ or 120 $$

Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 Model KVR1066D3/2GR ---24$$
Disco duro 80

GT540MXM Graphic Card ---250 $$
Heat Sinkers ---70 $$
Mini Slot In BlueRay Reader --- 124$$
Cables and other materials 50 $$

Total amount 931 $ in plastic or 996 $ in aluminium
And you have to mount it by yourself... And probably you were not able to buy the MXM factor graphic card...

ASROCK sell its configuration por 999 $ (more or less... )

So.. can you explain me how you can build by yourself the same configuration but cheaperHuh
You pay half the price for the Wesena case (+ power supply + IR + BluRay) only!!!Oo
299 GBP ~ 330 EUR ~ 455 USD

http://www.wesena.co.uk/product.php/5/2/itx2
£79.99 Wesena Mini ITX2 Case
£29.99 Wesena Philips RC260 Remote Control inc Internal IR Receiver
£29.99 Wesena 12v 6a Power Supply Adaptor
£34.99 Wesena 120w PSU
£83.00 Sony Optiarc BC-5640H Slot Loading Blu-Ray Combo Drive - SlimSATA
@jagarridoan - Exactly - good point

The latest i've heard is a official release by late october or early November...
here is diy 3d htpc-

1. case-Thermaltake Power Supply Mini Case
2. cpu- Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz
3. mobo- H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
4. gpu- MSI N430GT-MD1GD3-OC/LP GeForce GT 430
5. ssd- Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive
6. operating system- WINDOWS 7 HOME EDITION PREMIUM SP1 64BIT
7. ram- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
8. bd-rom- LG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X it'll playback 3d and turn on/off htpc!

roughly $557 for part, and 30 minute labor is priceless!
jagarridoan Wrote:I was making all the calcs... and I don't know how you can build the same configuration for half price.

You have to be a mythoman.
bluray Wrote:here is diy 3d htpc-

3. mobo- AsRock H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX
5. ssd- Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive

it'll playback 3d and turn on/off htpc!

roughly $398 total

You forget:
7.- 4 GB OF RAM MEMORY.- 24 $
8.- BLURAY COMBO: 120 $
9.- THERMAL PASTE, CABLES, ETC..: 50 $
10.- HEAT SINKERS: 50-70 $
you have to add: 240 $
Total will be 640 $

Its cheaper ... ok... perhaps the combination is really noise and produce lot of heat compare with the MXM GPU. .... it could be a bad thing for and htpc...
jagarridoan Wrote:You forget:
7.- 4 GB OF RAM MEMORY.- 24 $
8.- BLURAY COMBO: 120 $
9.- THERMAL PASTE, CABLES, ETC..: 50 $
10.- HEAT SINKERS: 50-70 $
you have to add: 240 $
Total will be 640 $
i was in a hurry to go to lunch earlier. i added ram and bd-rom, and you don't need the other stuff because it is included in the package.

jagarridoan Wrote:Its cheaper ... ok... perhaps the combination is really noise and produce lot of heat compare with the MXM GPU. .... it could be a bad thing for and htpc...
i don't have any problem with noise and heat with 4 htpc's that i built, and i leave it on 24/7.
bluray Wrote:here is diy 3d htpc-

3. mobo- AsRock H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX
7. ram- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
8. bd-rom- LG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X it'll playback 3d and turn on/off htpc!

roughly $493 total

lemme jump here a sec Tongue

why the thermaltake case? unless he specifically like it,
the APEC MI-008 is the same thing, and costs $50 on amazon.com...

as for the CPU, go for the INTEL G530,
cpubenchmarks.com reveals they are almost identical in CPU Power...
PASSMARK G620: 2487
PASSMARK G530: 2371

save more money, get the G530....

the motherboard looks good,
but the PowerON/OFF feature, altho working, and wrong mobo link bluray,
CIR Rceiver seems to not have a good range when using it with an Harmony remote,,,
voip-ninja tested it, and thats what he concluded and i trust him,,
however, how's the range doing with the Asrock Smart Remote, i dunno,,,
might not be better either,,,
get this mobo here --> http://goo.gl/u7ts0
and if u want to powerON/OFF from a total shutdown state,
smiply buy this --> http://goo.gl/nIDX6 but throw the little remote in the garbage...

GSKILL ram, even tho i have it in my HTPC,
i suggest avoiding it,,,
ask user Beer40onze if he likes GSKILL Tongue
i'd get some Kingstong HyperX or Corsair XMS3

i'd get this BD-ROM right here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6827151222

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2nd Gen ASROCK Vision 3d1