Disc menu: Is it available?
I'm an XBMC Noob, and am still trying to get everything worked out the way it should work. I'm struggling with the operation and can't seem to get it to operate as I expect it. Is there any way when watching a DVD (from the HDD) to directly access the main Disc Menu? (Root Menu)

I understand you can access the "Media menu" (Press m) then move the cursor to the disc symbol and press select. It seems awfully cumbersome. It there some short-cut key that can be used?

I have tried the various keys on the MCE remote as well as the keys on the Multiimedia keyboard without any luck. What am I missing?

I've also noticed that some DVDs have way too much crap at the introduction and I'd like to "skip-ahead" to the main DVD menu instead of watching all the previews and crap. I've noticed if I hit the "Next" or "Skip" buttons the DVD stops and the display reverts back to the XBMC menus. Maybe I just need that "DVD Menu" key? (In Windows Media Player this menu is called "Root Menu".) Is there a Root Menu key for XBMC?

I've tried searching and reviewing several articles on the Wiki but I keep coming up empty. What have I missed?

Thanks.
Rip'em with MakeMKV.

That'll give you a freshly rolled mkv file with only the feature film...
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
thethirdnut Wrote:Rip'em with MakeMKV.

That'll give you a freshly rolled mkv file with only the feature film...

Thanks for your reply. I know that's an option, but it defeats the point. I actually want and use the menus and the extra features on many of the discs.
You can use DVDShrink to remaster the DVD to remove unwanted content.
Ah, good question. I've wondered about that before but never got around to looking into it. The action you want is "PlayerControl(ShowVideoMenu)". The "DVD menu" button on MCE remotes generally sends the keypress ctrl-shift-M, so you could make it work using a keyboard.xml containing:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <m mod="ctrl,shift">PlayerControl(ShowVideoMenu)</m>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

To create the keyboard.xml press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml"

and click OK and your keyboard.xml will open in Notepad. If this is the first time you've done it you'll get a "Create new file" message and you should answer Yes. Copy and paste the XML above then close Notepad and save the changes.

This should probably be part of the standard XBMC key mappings.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Ah, good question. I've wondered about that before but never got around to looking into it. The action you want is "PlayerControl(ShowVideoMenu)". The "DVD menu" button on MCE remotes generally sends the keypress ctrl-shift-M,
(snip)
This should probably be part of the standard XBMC key mappings.

JR
Thanks JR. I'll give that a try. Now is there any way to reassign the function to another key, so I could use the MCE remote instead of the full keyboard?
You don't say what MCE remote you are using, but the cheapo remotes generally send ctrl-shift-M when you press the DVD Menu button. If you have an eHome remote then the MCERemote add-on will configure the DVD menu button to send a ctrl-shift-M keypress. So ctrl-shift-M is a good choice of key mapping!

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:You don't say what MCE remote you are using, but the cheapo remotes generally send ctrl-shift-M when you press the DVD Menu button. If you have an eHome remote then the MCERemote add-on will configure the DVD menu button to send a ctrl-shift-M keypress. So ctrl-shift-M is a good choice of key mapping!

JR

I have this remote.

There is no button on the remote (by default) that activated the Root DVD menu. Although several buttons seem to activate the XBMC menus. I can try the keyboard.xml you suggested and see if that changes anything. Do you expect it would?

Thanks.
According to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Rem...s#VRC-1100 (which I wrote so it must be correct :-) the button immediately under the red button is the DVD menu button. Actually looking at my VRC-1100 it does have a picture of a DVD on it, so that makes sense.

In XBMC v10.1 this button should just pop up a little message saying "MCE Keypress, DVD menu". Assuming this is the case on your system, the keyboard.xml I described above will make the DVD menu button return to the DVD home menu.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:According to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Rem...s#VRC-1100 (which I wrote so it must be correct :-) the button immediately under the red button is the DVD menu button. Actually looking at my VRC-1100 it does have a picture of a DVD on it, so that makes sense.

In XBMC v10.1 this button should just pop up a little message saying "MCE Keypress, DVD menu". Assuming this is the case on your system, the keyboard.xml I described above will make the DVD menu button return to the DVD home menu.

JR
That would be exactly what I want. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
imott Wrote:You can use DVDShrink to remaster the DVD to remove unwanted content.

This ^^^^^^^
JR, I made the keyboard.xml as you described, but it still only displays "MCE Keypress, DVD menu" when the button is pressed.
VideoVeteran Wrote:JR, I made the keyboard.xml as you described, but it still only displays "MCE Keypress, DVD menu" when the button is pressed.

Either there's an error in the keyboard.xml or the keyboard.xml isn't in the correct place. A debug log will tell us which it is.

Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC. Wait a minute or two to let all the start tasks complete then press the DVD menu button a few times, then close XBMC again.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
JR,
I got it working! I must have mis-typed something the first time through. Thanks for all your help, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disc menu: Is it available?0