2010 Mac Mini vs. Zotac AD03 for pre-built XBMC option?
Hi guys. I've asked some questions in the Mac forum (always kind of slow over there) and wanted to pester people here with a couple of questions.

I am about ready to chuck my Boxee Box out of the window due to the continued audio dropout issues with not only HD audio tracks, but now, core DTS, etc Nod. It's a good box, and might get there "someday" but I am having doubts about it, and want at least one solid streaming box hooked up to my primary display (65" Plasma) and AVR (Yamaha RXV-1800) for solid movie watching. It also has to work well with my Harmony One remote (for wife approval factor).

All of my movies are either DVD or Blu-ray rips. On Blu-rays I generally have been only ripping the HD Audio tracks, which means I have both DTS-HD and Dolby True as well as the regular assortment of LPCM, regular DD 5.1, vanilla DTS, etc. The solution does not have to bitstream HD audio, but I have to at least get 5.1 real (non matrixed) audio out of the track to be somewhat satisfied with things.

I have sort of narrowed things down to a couple of options but wanted to get some input and see if I have missed things. I should also point out that while I have built literally dozens if not hundreds of systems (I am currently employed as an engineer doing alpha/beta test environment work) I have very little desire to do custom builds and tweaking, I just want to plug something in, load an OS and drivers and get XBMC to work.

Having said all of that, here's what I am considering;

1. XBMC on 2010 Mac Mini. I have a buddy with a 2010 C2D Mac Mini that he will sell me for $400. Other than a 4GB RAM upgrade, this is stock. I understand that lossless audio is not supported, but I'm not 100% clear on if I will get anything whatsoever out of a True-HD track or not when running on OS X. Another option is to dual boot this into Windows 7 if that would improve things. Why go with an old, used Mini? I love Macs (yes, you can hate me, it's okay)... and I would possibly have other applications for this down the road, or gift it to my parents, etc.

2. Zotac AD03 or similar. I have not run AMD hardware for years, but I understand that the Zotac's are considered about the best "out of box" machines at the moment for HTPC use. However, if I understand correctly, only the AD03 can do HD audio? Or is HD audio via LPCM an option with other models vs. bitstreaming? As I said earlier I don't care about bitstreaming as long as I get high quality multi-channel audio of some kind via HDMI to my Yamaha AVR.

Sorry for the long post, any guidance in this area welcome.

Shocked
I threw BB out of the window 6 months ago, and it is replaced by a mini-itx htpc below. It can playback bd in full 1080p with dts-hd/truehd using pre-eden and mce7.

1. APEX MI-100BK Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
2. ASRock E350M1/USB3
3. Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2/30GB
4. Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
5. Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm
6. HP MCE Remote Control
7. LG Black 10X BD-ROM
8. Buffalo Technology MiniStation Stealth 1 TB USB 3.0
9. SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I appreciate the input, see my comments about not wanting to build a custom box. Smile It should also be pointed out that I have a very expensive console from Standout designs that will only accommodate a very small machine, that's another reason that a Mac Mini, etc, will fit the bill vs me putting even a "mini tower" into the mix.
if you're not interesting in bitstreaming hd audio, your buddy mac mini should be fine. but with that very nice avr of your, i would love to be able to bitstream hd audio. to be able to bitstream hd audio fluently, you might have to pay quite a bit more for the pre-built htpc. asrock is among the best in mini htpc segment- Mini PC Series
bluray Wrote:if you're not interesting in bitstreaming hd audio, your buddy mac mini should be fine. but with that very nice avr of your, i would love to be able to bitstream hd audio. to be able to bitstream hd audio fluently, you might have to pay quite a bit more for the pre-built htpc. asrock is among the best in mini htpc segment- Mini PC Series

Do you know if the Mini, running OS X can at least extract->send DD 5.1 from a THD track? I can't seem to find the answer to this, but from what I can tell it was not working a year ago, it would only send 2 channel audio.

I had forgotten the Asrocks, I will give them a look, thanks.
voip-ninja Wrote:Do you know if the Mini, running OS X can at least extract->send DD 5.1 from a THD track? I can't seem to find the answer to this, but from what I can tell it was not working a year ago, it would only send 2 channel audio.

I had forgotten the Asrocks, I will give them a look, thanks.
sorry, i never own apple.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2010 Mac Mini vs. Zotac AD03 for pre-built XBMC option?0