New 9800 GT, Terrible Preformance?!
I've been using the on board 4xxx ATI card in my media machine for the last year. Aside from XBMC being a little slow in menus with lots of graphics, 50gb 1080p movies played perfectly fine.

Now I installed a 9800 GT with 1GB of mem, removed the ATI drivers and installed the nVidia ones. That's it.

XBMC runs smooth as glass now through menus, however movies are a complete slide show now. It's terrible, this includes down the lowest resolution avi shows. I tried messing with the graphics options in xbmx (dxva on/off, nothing)

I double checked to make sure the card was okay and using MPC the movies play great.

What's wrong?
Are you using later drivers? I have that exact same card in my HTPC and everything runs great.

Also a quad-core 9550 3.4ghz and 4gb of ddr2.

In my Settings - Video - Playback, Rendering is on Auto, All options are checked, sync method is set to audio.
Yeah, I just installed it today so it's the newest drivers.

Quad Core also, 2Gb of Ram.

I don't get it, I tried everything.
Videos played perfectly before with the on board video.
Won't play at all in XBMC after new video card installation.

Still play flawlessly in other apps.

Has to be on XBMC's side?
Post a debug log and I'll have a look at it. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC. Wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to complete, then attempt to play a video for a minute or two, then close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Post a debug log and I'll have a look at it. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC. Wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to complete, then attempt to play a video for a minute or two, then close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR

Here you go: http://pastebin.com/QM8zTdu5
Code:
ERROR: DirectSoundCreate() Failed (0x88780078)
DEBUG: CWin32DirectSound::Initialize: Packet Size = 12384. Avg Bytes Per Second = 192000.
ERROR: CThread::staticThread : Access violation at 0x004a749f: Reading location 0x00000000
That can't be good, were you using hdmi audio? It's possible that you have to change the audio output device in XBMC.
I agree with bobo1on1 that it's likely to be an audio problem. Are you using audio through HDMI, and if so have you installed the HDMI audio drivers?

JR
Thumbs Up 
No, it's not connected through HDMI (Can't stand HDMI quality vs VGA/DVI). However, that lead me to something else. I had recently borrowed the audio cable from the PC for something else. I replaced that and made sure the default speakers were re-enabled in windows. Then, I also set the sound device to DirectSound: primary sound driver inside XBMC. Works greats now!

Thanks guys.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New 9800 GT, Terrible Preformance?!0