[appletv1] will Eden work on it?
Is there a link to hardware requirements for Eden?
Will Apple Tv 1 be supported with a Linux os on it?
Since ubuntu 8.04 runs best on it and 8.04 is at end if life, the question about OS on Eden comes up also comes up.
It's possible - I'm running a pvr branch based on pre-eden on my atv. You first have to compile all the dependancies that you need newer versions of that aren't available from apt. Once you've messed around and got your build environment set-up then xbmc will compile on Hardy without problems.

You can by-pass all this and install a pre-made distro like crystalbuntu which has pre-eden pvr included in it and is Hardy based.

Jim
It will be supported. Nothing chances with Eden as far as that goes.
Thanks for the info.
@Ned: obviously Eden has introduced several new dependencies not in Hardy, and the devs have dropped support.

@atari: this means no PPA, but it is easy enough to compile and install, will be setting up nightlies (every 24hrs) for Crystalbuntu soon.
What changed that caused the them to drop support?

@Sam: Thats good. I have Ubuntu installed myself (Not your awesome Crystalbuntu) on 4 AppleTv1 and 1 AppleTV1 as a dedicated server - no xbmc (total of 5). I dedicate one for testing -- upgrade to Ubuntu 11, Try to get sound going via hdmi, recompile apps with different flags, blah blah blah Ka-BLAM!!!!!... So I was wondering what the future held for Eden and AppleTv1 as it stands.

Is the plug-ins/addons something I should probably start hoarding? The ones that are compatible with Dharma?
Dependencies that are no longer offered as Hardy went into a maintenance phase. I will be maintaining cB for a while yet, but remember aTV 1 is not 'a target', as its OS varies. Why hoard, Eden is supported
I have a dharma (10.1) install based on an original pin87a's image on it - would I just do:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

to get Eden when it's released?

and what's the best way to update the CHD driver? sorry, it's been a loong time since I upgraded this system.
@Sam- I am confused
Quote:obviously Eden has introduced several new dependencies not in Hardy, and the devs have dropped support.
Quote:Why hoard, Eden is supported
thmnt: no. Eden is dropped from the repos for Hardy, you will need my image for this.

@atari: sorry, not specific. It is supported by ME, but not by other devs, so you MUST use Crystalbuntu for Eden.
Is there a list of dependencies that Eden requires someplace?
README.ubuntu on head
"README.ubuntu on head "
I need a little help with this statement
atari800 Wrote:"README.ubuntu on head "
I need a little help with this statement

You can find the readme on the github page:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/README.ubuntu

You will need more detailed instructions than these though, if you want to compile on Hardy. For instance, if you try to install all the dependancies at once that are available via apt - it will choke because of multiple update alternatives being available. You will need to intelligently split these up. Then there are libraries that you need to compile from source (and other libraries that these require to compile) that are not in that README under the Hardy specific section. It will take some trail and error. I was keeping notes as I went, but never finished them! Anyway, you have two choices:

1) Try to get everything installed on your atv and then compile it there

2) Make a hardy VM get all the dependancies going and then after compile using the checkinstall program to create a deb that will allow for quick deployment on your atv target (dpkg -i ****.deb) and also quick removal (dpkg -r ****.deb). Since you seem unsure where the README files are, this maybe the best way for you: if you make a hash of it, you can easily get a clean build environment back by making a fresh VM.

Jim

PS ccache is a must if you are compiling and re-compiling the source a lot. Especially on a slow platform like the atv
All dependencies for runtime:
http://download.stmlabs.com/bin/builds/xbmc-atv/deps/
Building is not much different (you will discover these during make)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[appletv1] will Eden work on it?0