[LINUX]First HTPC build, question before buying
Hello eveyrone,

First of all, let me say thank you to eskro for his post on groups and first config. Great help!

This is the first time I'm building an HTPC (second time a PC).

Some info :
- My usage will be group 4 (HDMI,SD,DVD,720P,1080P).
- I want to be able to watch 720p flash content from crunchyroll / funimation / youtube
- I will use Archlinux with the latest kernel and nvidia driver (Don't want to use win7)
- All video file are store on a separate NAS (mount NFS)
- Audio over HDMI. Don't need 5.1, stereo is fine.

The config :
- Antec Earthwatts Green Series 380W ATX12V 80PLUS Bronze *No Pwr Cord*
- ASUS GeForce 210 589MHZ 1GB 1.2GHZ DDR3 Silent Low Profile DVI HDMI PCI-E Video Card
- G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V Memory Kit
- Intel Core i3 2100 Dual Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.1GHZ Sandy Bridge 3MB
- Silverstone Milo ML03B Black mATX HTPC Case 1X5.25 2X3.5INT USB3 Supports 4 80MM Case Fan
- Gigabyte H61M-S2P-B3 mATX LGA1155 H61 DDR3 1PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Video Sound Motherboard
- Intel 320 Series GEN3 40GB 2.5IN SSD SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive Retail W/ Bracket

This is based on eskro config. The difference are a smaller PSU (380 instead of 430), an ASUS G210 instead of the ZOTAC and the intel SSD.

Can I get some opinion on this build ?
I want to be sure I can watch flash content without any glitch... the i3 is enough?
It's also the first time I will use an SSD. Any precautions, suggestions?

Thanks you very much for your help.

Regards.
Shaika-Dzari Wrote:Can I get some opinion on this build ?
I want to be sure I can watch flash content without any glitch... the i3 is enough?

your sure you've read my HTPC guide completely?
in the Q&A section, i specifically specified:

Q. Out of those builds, which one can Stream 1080P Hulu movies?
A. All of them!!

Hulu uses FLash

Shaika-Dzari Wrote:It's also the first time I will use an SSD. Any precautions, suggestions?.

check in my signature for SSD Optimization
Hi eskro,

Quote:Q. Out of those builds, which one can Stream 1080P Hulu movies?
A. All of them!!

Sorry, my intention was not to doubt you tuto.
I was not sure because flash performance on linux is not as good than windows.
It's why I asked the question.

Thanks for the tips on SSD.
Shaika-Dzari Wrote:I was not sure because flash performance on linux is not as good than windows.

There are some issues using GPU hardware acceleration with flash on linux, but it's only a problem for systems with super low power CPUs like the Atom. The i3 should handle it.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
Thanks numb7rs!

Look like everything is alright.
It's a little over my initial budget (450$) but I don't care if it's to get something solid and performant.

Now, the only item I still need to find now is a small wireless keyboard with a trackball or a touchpad. But it should be easier than the HTPC. Rofl
check out the Lenovo Multimedia Remote Keyboard N5902
eskro Wrote:check out the Lenovo Multimedia Remote Keyboard N5902

Really cool eskro!

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX]First HTPC build, question before buying0