SSD Hard Drive in HTPC - Don't bother!
Save your money LOL...

I have this SSD SATA-III hard drive in my HTPC and with a pretty involved skin like Aeon, it's just as laggy as I remember with a normal hard drive. I don't really see the speed increase anywhere, EXCEPT for booting up the windows system LOL.

I keep my system on all the time anyways, and I know most of you just put your system to sleep so is it really worth that extra $100 for a short boot?

In my case, nope! I'll be switching the SSD to a normal HD and put the SSD in something more useful like a gaming laptop.
What were you upgrading from ?

Have you tried DDS compression ?
I think some people also like that the SSD is silent, removes a ~30c device from inside a small case for cooler temps and also has a small form factor.

Agree with you on the speed though...I can't tell much of a difference navigating XBMC and I only boot my computer once a week.
Subliminal Aura Wrote:What were you upgrading from ?

Have you tried DDS compression ?

Upgraded originally from a 2.5 laptop hard drive that I was using as my boot drive, probably a 4200RPM or something similar. No DDS compression. There's no difference between the two that I can see.
evanesce Wrote:Upgraded originally from a 2.5 laptop hard drive that I was using as my boot drive, probably a 4200RPM or something similar. No DDS compression. There's no difference between the two that I can see.

Well unless you've got a zillion thumbs or fanart then you're not going to notice much difference.

What are you finding slow btw ?
Subliminal Aura Wrote:Well unless you've got a zillion thumbs or fanart then you're not going to notice much difference.

What are you finding slow btw ?

just navigating the menus, not even browsing videos yet and its a bit laggy, its possible it's slightly faster but if i have any type of delay it's just as bad as having a bigger delay, it still annoys me to see the delay at all if i just spent 100 on preventing it.

I just wanted to warn potential buyers of SSD drives that you're not going to be amazed with a heavy skin like I thought before the purchase Smile

I'd love to try the ramdisk idea combined with the 2.5 hard laptop drive, is that possible in windows or just linux?
What is your cpu?

That might be the bottleneck for the menus
Could it be your remote ?

I have a wireless gyration which although is good, it's a lot more laggy than others. If you have an android phone try installing the xbmc remote and you'll soon be introduced to super quick navigation Wink
aptalca Wrote:What is your cpu?

That might be the bottleneck for the menus

cpu is a quad core 2.9ghz AMD APU that was recently released. Remote is a bluetooth Sony ps3 remote with eventghost and the commands are instant.

The lag is the same when navigating with a keyboard. It's just a big skin Aeon MQ3 and the SSD isn't making a big difference.

When I use a small skin the menus and lag are pretty instant.
evanesce Wrote:When I use a small skin the menus and lag are pretty instant.

Laugh

So what does this tell you ?
Subliminal Aura Wrote:Laugh

So what does this tell you ?

Not much, because the menus are just as instant with the laptop hard drive and a small skin Smile
It means the skin is the problem...

I went from a laptop drive to a SSD on a Atom/ION based system and saw an incredible increase in responsiveness. Using Aeon MQ2, there was a bit of a delay going from the main menu to movies and back, but when in the library, the difference was night and day in terms of scrolling, fanart popping up, etc. DDS compression probably helped as well.

My library was about 300 movies at the time, all HD fanart...

I have since moved to storing fanart on a central server and moved to an OpenELEC implementation on that machine, it's probably a tad faster now.

SSD isn't THE solution to everyone's problems, but I do feel it's definitely worth the cash to consider adding to a HTPC.

I'm moving thing around now and went from a SSD to a laptop drive on my main HTPC and it's driving me batty doing some thing that used to be instant. Mostly Windows tasks, not necessarily XBMC tasks, but still. Looking for another SSD deal so everything I have boots off a SSD for the OS.
Fast Skin Transitions is CPU driven.... not SSD,,,

SSD will help with the loading of 1080P fanarts and such,,,
maybe try a pre eden version with dirty regions...

gpu will do all the work with this version including skin and menu related stuff...

i guess then even aeon mq3 should run smoothlythen.

although i don't know why your quadcore can't handle this as well. i was of the opinion that a 2,9ghz quadcore should be far powerful enough to handle even the heaviest skins...Eek
A 2.9 quad core is beyond enough...
If you swapped a HDD for a SSD and this didn't fix the problem then the HDD was likely never the problem in the first place. How did you come to the conclusion that it was?
We don't know anything else about your system or your settings. Incorrect settings from the bios on up, incorrect or outdated drivers, heat, etc can all lead to degraded performance.
Again something wrong with MQ3 is a possibility. How does MQ2 work for you?
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD Hard Drive in HTPC - Don't bother!0