Smart Playlist Manager (+ free form tagging support)
Hi, I've searched the forum and I haven't been able to find this request, so I made one Smile

I know xbmc support smart playlist, but you have to edit the xml file, not very user friendly.
So what I'm proposing is two folds. First is to create playlist manager inside the xbmc itself. From there you can create 'filters' for TV shows, movies, or music. This way people can easily create 'categories' to their own liking. From GUI point of view, think about how itunes or mac smart folder is created, or even in WMP..

The filter itself is the most important, so there can be more freedom to choose which one we want to show on that playlist. There's where my 2nd feature request comes in....

The second is a free form tagging, like tagging in evernote, or other tagging software (maybe even support openmeta for mac?).. This way, we can tag any video with anything we want!
Say for example, I want to create playlist just for my dad, all I have to do is add tags to movies I wanted for my dad ,say, 'for dad'.. and since he likes french movies, I add to the smart playlist manager filter 'tag=for dad' and language=french'.. I'll call it 'Dad's french movie' categories.. so every movie with those attributes will automatically added to the smart playlist.

The possibility for usage is almost endless.. it caters more to more advanced users maybe, but if the GUI for smart playlist manager is intuitive, and it's easy to tag a media, it can be a killer feature for sure..

And also, support from skin so the categories can be displayed on the home screen will be amazing I think..

just my 2c. I apologize, english is not my 1st language, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to suggest.. Nod
Dzigg Wrote:Hi, I've searched the forum and I haven't been able to find this request, so I made one Smile

I know xbmc support smart playlist, but you have to edit the xml file, not very user friendly.
So what I'm proposing is two folds. First is to create playlist manager inside the xbmc itself. From there you can create 'filters' for TV shows, movies, or music. This way people can easily create 'categories' to their own liking. From GUI point of view, think about how itunes or mac smart folder is created, or even in WMP..

There's already a build in manager/editor for this.Just go to your library and chose smartplaylist and press "C". Here's you can chose to edit your smartplaylist.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Machine-Sanctum Wrote:There's already a build in manager/editor for this.Just go to your library and chose smartplaylist and press "C". Here's you can chose to edit your smartplaylist.

Now I'm embarassed.. Blush lol..

How about the 'free tagging', so I can manually add a tag easily? is there an extension to do this or is it already in xbmc also?

thx
Dzigg Wrote:Now I'm embarassed.. Blush lol..

How about the 'free tagging', so I can manually add a tag easily? is there an extension to do this or is it already in xbmc also?

thx

No problem Wink

No free tagging that i know of.
What i can think of is using the smartplaylist rules to filter out those movies.
There are a number of rules to combine/exclude possibilities. Might take some time to set it up.

You can already add smartplaylists to the home menu in some skins.
Usually you have to add that smartplaylist to your favourites and then add that favourite as a custom menu item. I split mine up in: Movies /Animation/Stand-Up Comdedy.

Another one is to create a regular playlist. Add those movies to that. Then create a smartplaylist and set the rule to use the regular plaulist. After you can add that to the home screen again.

Some also allow you to replace the standard movie library action with your own smartplaylist.

It's not a really user friendly exircise but it works Laugh
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Machine-Sanctum Wrote:No problem Wink

No free tagging that i know of.
What i can think of is using the smartplaylist rules to filter out those movies.
There are a number of rules to combine/exclude possibilities. Might take some time to set it up.

You can already add smartplaylists to the home menu in some skins.
Usually you have to add that smartplaylist to your favourites and then add that favourite as a custom menu item. I split mine up in: Movies /Animation/Stand-Up Comdedy.

Another one is to create a regular playlist. Add those movies to that. Then create a smartplaylist and set the rule to use the regular plaulist. After you can add that to the home screen again.

Some also allow you to replace the standard movie library action with your own smartplaylist.

It's not a really user friendly exircise but it works Laugh

Ahh, thank you, I get it.. yes it can be done that way Nod

But the request for 'tagging' a movie freely is still a nice feature to have I think, especially if it's embedded into movie information, and have a tag manager..

The smart playlist manager is already robust I think, so it only need a complimentary tagging system and manager.. what do you guys think? is there any demand for this at all besides from me?
In our house it was tagging movies from IMDB or Trakt lists that mattered most to let people see their different stuff - I wrote an addon that does just that, maybe it will solve your problem. These external lists tend to be used by things like couchpotato, so its only natural that we should be able to differentiate between various sources in our library.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smart Playlist Manager (+ free form tagging support)0