Managing children movies/different profiles-parental control
I read in different threads that parental control is not available and that there is some profile management possibility (I didn't find it until now).

Let's explain my current situation: I have 1 server with 1 share folder I'm connecting to - all my movies are in 1 unique folder (a bit messy, I know).

I want to make XBMC usable by the children - so I need to be able to show to them only some movies - a part of the folder. I'm ready to create a second folder and move the movies - it will work with the folder view but not with media library view (all will be put together). More than that, with just one click - the children will be able to launch any movie, I need some parental control (simple is fine - but just blocking easy access).

I'm open to any solution but it should be user friendly for children and as well for adults using the mediacenter.

Any hint or idea how to realize this?

Thanks in advance, Yeti
The best way to do this is to use 2 profile, soo your kids have a profile that will only contain your childrens movies/tv shows/music. You can even put a pasword on your own profile soo they cant by misstake change to your profile

I am using this, and you can take a skin and make all fanart and stuff to be kid stuff and remove everything else that they dont need to use. Soo it look like a kid htpc Smile
You can also do it without a profile. Separate your kids stuff into a separate folder and re-add you sources / rebuild library. Then enable master mode and you can then set a lock code on the adults source.

This means that when xbmc is fired up and you go into the library only the kids films etc will be present.

Now dependent on what skin you have there is an option whilst in the library view to unlock sources then all the adult stuff will appear aswell.

But if you want to keep them both completely separate yes you will need to use profiles, as far as I am aware.
You could make playlists to suit whatever genre of films that you want the children to see (animation, family, children, etc) and a playlist for the adults and each to the home menu. When the children's playlist is selected, their movies will be presented to them. This works especially well if they have their own slave computer that connects to the server. You can hide the original "Movies" link in home menu and add the children's playlist instead.

Mark
bilbonvidia Wrote:You can also do it without a profile. Separate your kids stuff into a separate folder and re-add you sources / rebuild library. Then enable master mode and you can then set a lock code on the adults source.

This means that when xbmc is fired up and you go into the library only the kids films etc will be present.

Now dependent on what skin you have there is an option whilst in the library view to unlock sources then all the adult stuff will appear aswell.

This is a good solution if you don't want to use profiles and the master mode dialogue for entering the lock code can be added to a remote key so you can use this method in any skin

Master mode should be available in the shutdown menu in any skin anyway but adding it on a remote key is much faster
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Thanks for your answers. I like the Master code idea, because I can default to the minimum (kids) and then enable more - always starting with the minimum without any interaction. I enabled the master code in system/settings. I created a folder for kid movies and 1 for adult movies. I added 2 different sources to the video library. I then locked the adult source folder putting a lock on it.

This is working perfectly acessing through folders, but using media library, all movies are shown and accessible... I restarted the PC to be sure. Folder is marked as locked, but media library let me access all movies and launch any movie - as well the ones that are supposed to be locked.

What am I doing wrong ?
Not sure, I would start again if it was me, delete sources.xml and the myvideos.db from (copy them out) of your userdata folder then re-add the sources and re-scan the content.

I may be wrong though cos I am new to this also.
>>X<<' Wrote:the master mode dialogue for entering the lock code can be added to a remote key so you can use this method in any skin

How do you do this? Can it be a keyboard key also for the laptops in the house with no remote?
(2011-10-21, 08:57)Bkam Wrote: The best way to do this is to use 2 profile, soo your kids have a profile that will only contain your childrens movies/tv shows/music. You can even put a pasword on your own profile soo they cant by misstake change to your profile

I am using this, and you can take a skin and make all fanart and stuff to be kid stuff and remove everything else that they dont need to use. Soo it look like a kid htpc Smile

To do this can you have all movies in one folder or different folders?
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Den: RetroPie 4.1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO XVT553SV
Bedroom: OSMC 2017.02-1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO E370VA
HP Chromebook 14: Ubuntu 16.04 x64 | Celeron 2955U | Jarvis
NAS: Windows 10 | 20TB on DrivePool | Emby DB | Subsonic | Plex
Different profiles can have different sources. If limiting the video library based on rating is too restrictive (or not restrictive enough), you can make a folder for the kids movies and link (a.k.a. "shortcut" if you're a Windows user) the files from the original source folder. This way you don't massively waste hard drive space and you have file-by-file or folder-level control over what shows up in the kids profile.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
Unfortunately it doesn't work for TV and Movies that are shared out via the network. Using the new release, don't get prompted ever... but otherwise it would be perfect!
In Aeon Nox you can set a home menu item to a certain folder of video files.

I just put the kids stuff in a folder then put it on home menu. Couldn't be easier.
Hi Guys,
I've setup my media centre using a single profile and tried a master lock for anything that not child friendly.
When I try opening the movies menu (library mode) xbmc just hangs, nothing appears in the log out of the ordinary (debug or normal).

Any ideas? anyone had similar issues before?

I'm running a very recent frodo build (0a029c7) with mysql and an all media on an NFS share.
I tried it a couple of months ago in the same way and it didnt work then so its not just an issue I'm having with a newer build.
Just a quick update, I've found that my problem is caused if I have 'Group movies in sets' enabled, if I disable it XBMC functions as you would expect.
I have this same desire. I already have two shares, one for kids and then one for everything else. I've playing with the parental controls script written by killdash9 , to no avail. You can read about it here
http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2012/08/13/p...mc-addons/

At step 13, you'll see that it should work to block by rating, like nothing over PG13, etc. It's also great that it should block Add-ons because anyone can install a add-on and some of those play adult movies, not to menion R movies.

I've tested this on a Zotac zbox nano ID61, Intel chipset. I installed the Openelec (OpenELEC-Intel.x86_64-2.0.0) and I point to my existing unraid server. My movie shares are via SMB. Everything plays perfect, even at 1080p.

All of this sounds so good, but the PC doesn't work. I block applications and movies by rating, and they play anyway without prompting me for my password (which you setup in steps 9 and 10.

As anyone else got this PC script to work, or even tried it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Managing children movies/different profiles-parental control0