Atv 2 - which skins work?
I have atv iOS 5 running latest nightly xbmc and wondered what skins people are using, as all other than confluence seem to run real slow or crash it. I am looking for 2 key features:

1 - cover flow view which is not in confluence
2 - kiosk mode - needed cause the kids and missus always start changing things by mistake!!

Any suggestions?
tytherman Wrote:I have atv iOS 5 running latest nightly xbmc and wondered what skins people are using, as all other than confluence seem to run real slow or crash it. I am looking for 2 key features:

1 - cover flow view which is not in confluence
2 - kiosk mode - needed cause the kids and missus always start changing things by mistake!!

Any suggestions?

I've found that Confluence is the best skin for the ATV2. What things are they changing? Certain options in the menus can be de-/activated in settings, for instance "delete file" is deactivated as standard.
You can enable Dirty Regions to greatly speed up the UI, though it still has some visual glitches (things will blink or seem to "spaz out" for a moment), but those should be fixed pretty soon as we get closer to Eden's (XBMC v11) final release.

Most skins that are listed in the default XBMC repo should already be cleared to work with the nightlies the ATV2 is using, but some might need their own "nightly" version which can be found by visiting that skin's sub-forum in the Skin Forum (I think Quartz is one of these).
I love Alaska Revisited, but I had a little trouble getting it to work last time I updated iOS and installed XBMC. I don't use a coverflow view, so I'm not sure if it is included.
I'm using Xeebo, it's nice and quick, if not a bit buggy.
cosmicr Wrote:I'm using Xeebo, it's nice and quick, if not a bit buggy.

it's ok I worked it out.
Thanks for the tips.... will try enabling "dirty regions", and see how I get on.

Big Grin
Ned Scott Wrote:You can enable Dirty Regions to greatly speed up the UI, though it still has some visual glitches (things will blink or seem to "spaz out" for a moment), but those should be fixed pretty soon as we get closer to Eden's (XBMC v11) final release.

Most skins that are listed in the default XBMC repo should already be cleared to work with the nightlies the ATV2 is using, but some might need their own "nightly" version which can be found by visiting that skin's sub-forum in the Skin Forum (I think Quartz is one of these).

Isn't Dirty Regions setting 3 enabled by default for recent nightly builds?
Settings 3 will mark the whole screen as Dirty.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Machine-Sanctum Wrote:Settings 3 will mark the whole screen as Dirty.

Which means it does effectively nothing.
brave little meme loves you.
Doraemonn Wrote:Which means it does effectively nothing.

It does help a bit when screen is static. Else the whole screen will be kept at max framerate. So with setting 3 the CPU load will be reduced. Not as much as with other settings ofcourse.

Personally i use setting 1 and the skinner needs to test his skin to make sure there are no glitches (besides the know problems like RSS and sliders controls).
Aeon Nox is thoroughly tested with dirty region to prevent glitches. Don't know for sure with other skins.
ok added the advancedsettings.... how do I know if it is working? doesnt seem to have made any difference.

Huh
its just a boost, You wont notice any visual difference (atleast I didn't) . I found after enabling it my Movie titles loaded faster that normal.
sorry bit confused now as to whether it is included as standard in the nightly or not and what setting 1,2 or 3 it should be as the wiki only refers to 0,1 & 2Huh

HuhHuh
tytherman Wrote:sorry bit confused now as to whether it is included as standard in the nightly or not and what setting 1,2 or 3 it should be as the wiki only refers to 0,1 & 2Huh

HuhHuh
3 has just been added recently so wiki is not updated
I tried Alaska revisited for sometime (awesome skin) bit consumes a lot of memory and resulted in few dumps. Now switched back to Confluence with some minor tweaks to make it look better and works gr8.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atv 2 - which skins work?0