ATV2 what is the best network share protocol
Just wondering, im currently sharing my buffalo linkstation nas wired via smb, is ftp or one of the others 'better' ?
As an aside, I currently use smb with a Buffalo Linkstation as well for my ATV 2 however are you able to wake up the NAS automatically? If my NAS is sitting idle my ATV2 can't connect to it. I have to wake it up by going to a laptop or something and then it runs just fine.

I am sure its just a setting but do you happen to know which one?

Thanks.
I find AFP quite a bit faster than SMB. I haven't tried NFS/FTP/HTTP.
redskinsfan Wrote:As an aside, I currently use smb with a Buffalo Linkstation as well for my ATV 2 however are you able to wake up the NAS automatically? If my NAS is sitting idle my ATV2 can't connect to it. I have to wake it up by going to a laptop or something and then it runs just fine.

I am sure its just a setting but do you happen to know which one?

Thanks.

sorry no idea? but i never changed any setting in that respect it always just worked?
cyrusir Wrote:Just wondering, im currently sharing my buffalo linkstation nas wired via smb, is ftp or one of the others 'better' ?

This thread is a good place to start: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106659

AFP is the best choice if a) you're media is coming from a Mac and b) it doesn't crash for you (works fine for me, no complaints yet).

After that, I'd probably pick WebDAV and then FTP. Smb is supposedly less efficient and many folks see performance issues with it.

Best thing you can do to improve your experience is use wired networking for your atv2.
I've never played with WebDAV at all, can anyone point me to a good guide to giving it a try? SMB definitely seems to have some performance issues.
I have a USB drive connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station. Using SMB I can't watch 720p x264 without buffering every 20 seconds. With AFP, there's no problems. So in my experience, afp > smb Smile
IIRC, from a technical standpoint NFS is the best due to it's low protocol overhead. Some users find it harder because of the lack of GUI configuration tools for it, but that might not be an issue for a Buffalo Linkstation.
NFS is nasty when addressing the same share from two different sources. The read/write speeds become unstable (dropping to a few KB every few seconds) which makes it slower then SMB on my network. Although on paper NFS should be faster (it actually is on my network, marginally..., but because of the instability the average speed is quite a lot slower). I've tried to improve on this in several ways, using the available information sources. But I couldn't prevent the speed drops in any way.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Ok, I need some help here, please. I'm trying to get WebDAV working, and have had good success so far (And much better streaming to my ATV2)

Here are my issues:
Playback seems to work fine with avi content. But whenever I try to play back any other containers (Mp4 and MKV have been issues so far) it fails every time. For instance:

Quote:WARNING: FillBuffer: curl failed with code 22
16:36:44 T:123375616 ERROR: CFileCurl::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.
16:36:46 T:101076992 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: dav://xbmc:[email protected]:8082/Movies%20A_F/%23/9%202009%20BDRip%20H264%20AAC-SecretMyth%20(Kingdom-Release)/9%202009%20BDRip%20H264%20AAC-SecretMyth%20(Kingdom-Release).mp4
16:36:46 T:101076992 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
16:36:46 T:123908096 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
16:36:46 T:123908096 WARNING: FillBuffer: curl failed with code 22
16:36:46 T:123908096 ERROR: CFileCurl::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.
16:36:46 T:123908096 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [dav://xbmc:[email protected]:8082/Movies%20A_F/%23/9%202009%20BDRip%20H264%20AAC-SecretMyth%20(Kingdom-Release)/9%202009%20BDRip%20H264%20AAC-SecretMyth%20(Kingdom-Release).mp4]
16:36:46 T:123908096 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
16:36:46 T:123908096 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
16:36:46 T:101076992 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [dav://xbmc:[email protected]:8082/Movies%20A_F/%23/9%202009%20BDRip%20H264%20AAC-SecretMyth%20(Kingdom-Release)/9%202009%20BDRip%20H264%20AAC-SecretMyth%20(Kingdom-Release).mp4]
16:36:46 T:101076992 WARNING: CreateFile, successfuly opened </var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/skin.xperience1080/1080i/DialogOk.xml> instead of </var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/skin.xperience1080/1080i/DialogOK.xml>
16:36:46 T:101076992 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
16:36:46 T:101076992 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
16:36:46 T:101076992 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
16:36:46 T:101076992 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
16:36:50 T:123375616 WARNING: FillBuffer: curl failed with code 22
16:36:50 T:123375616 ERROR: CFileCurl::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.

Anyone seeing this behavior? Is there something I'm missing?

Ok, so it turns out you need to add mime types into IIS Web Dav in order to get them to display. Onward and upward!

For someone else's benefit:
.flv video/x-flv
.mkv video/x-matroska
.divx video/divx
.mp4 video/mp4
.ts video/ms2t

For anyone who is struggling with stuttering playback, with lots of buffering, or videos just plain dropping out, this IS the solution. SMB is the enemy and it must die. Seriously, though - moving to WebDav solved my problems completely.
Hi,
Please help, I am about to give up on XBMC. I have used it for years and loved it but i am getting really frustrated with it at the moment.

I have an Apple TV 2 running 4.1.1
I am running NitoTv V.08
My XBMC is 10.4.0
Network connection - i have tried both Lan and Wi-fi

I upgraded to OSX Lion and everything stopped working. I understand why so i went about implementing SAMBA3 from the following link - http://www.johnlarge.co.uk/2011/07/19/os...t-working/ - I could not get this to work.

Searched through the fourms here for the last two days and like i said i am about to give up.

I went bout setting up MediaMsater server for WebDav, but also had problems with this. i could setup the source location no problem and could see the user logging in from the MediaMaster log, but XBMC would just sit there and do nothing. Error :
ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(davs://jamie:[email protected]:8000/) failed

Then i went about trying to set up AFP - which would be my preferred option.
I installed afpfs-ng from NitoTv install. i was able to connect to my imac with the afpcmd but i cannot mount the share on the ATV2. am i doing something wrong, can you mount a share on an ios device. as i said i have been looking through the forum for the past two days and i have found references that you cannot mount afp shares, yet i also see lots of people say they are using afp successfully.

I'm afraid im totally lost can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
jammmer Wrote:Hi,
Please help, I am about to give up on XBMC. I have used it for years and loved it but i am getting really frustrated with it at the moment.

I have an Apple TV 2 running 4.1.1
I am running NitoTv V.08
My XBMC is 10.4.0
Network connection - i have tried both Lan and Wi-fi

There is no XBMC 10.4

Quote:I upgraded to OSX Lion and everything stopped working. I understand why so i went about implementing SAMBA3 from the following link - http://www.johnlarge.co.uk/2011/07/19/os...t-working/ - I could not get this to work.

Searched through the fourms here for the last two days and like i said i am about to give up.

I went bout setting up MediaMsater server for WebDav, but also had problems with this. i could setup the source location no problem and could see the user logging in from the MediaMaster log, but XBMC would just sit there and do nothing. Error :
ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(davs://jamie:[email protected]:8000/) failed

Then i went about trying to set up AFP - which would be my preferred option.
I installed afpfs-ng from NitoTv install. i was able to connect to my imac with the afpcmd but i cannot mount the share on the ATV2. am i doing something wrong, can you mount a share on an ios device. as i said i have been looking through the forum for the past two days and i have found references that you cannot mount afp shares, yet i also see lots of people say they are using afp successfully.

I'm afraid im totally lost can anyone shed some light on this for me please.

Using AFP in XBMC has nothing to do with AFPFS-NG from NitoTV. AFP shares do not mount in iOS. XBMC handles everything.

First, update to the latest nightly build of XBMC: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...htly_build

Next, try AFP from within XBMC using the ZeroConf browser when you add a new video source.

If you are still having problems then read the iOS FAQ: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ecific_FAQ

If that doesn't help, or some error happens when you try it (like with webDAV), then give us a debug log: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...og_for_iOS
Thanks Ned, installing the Nightly build worked a treat, also didn't know that the AFP was accessed through ZeroConf. Thanks Again
Just one more question if i can.
Do i have to give Anonymous/Everyone access to these shares.
I dont see where i can add a username & Password for the AFP shares

Cheers
Jamie
I used mediamaster with success but noticed the number of connections it made kept rising the longer it was active. I read somewhere that this was a bug that still needed sorting.

I then started using NFS Manager on the mac (running lion) and have had no problems at all...watch hd content without any buffering issues. It is straightforward to set up.

http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 what is the best network share protocol0