Windows HDMI settings; Difference between 5.1 and 7.1 with sidespeakers disabled?
I have just bought a new reciever and hooked it up via HDMI but I have a question regarding the speaker settings in windows.

The reciever is 7.1 but I only have a 5.1 speaker setup. In windows speaker setup, is there a difference between selecting 5.1 and selecting 7.1 and then disabling the side speakers in the next dialog?
sialivi Wrote:I have just bought a new reciever and hooked it up via HDMI but I have a question regarding the speaker settings in windows.

The reciever is 7.1 but I only have a 5.1 speaker setup. In windows speaker setup, is there a difference between selecting 5.1 and selecting 7.1 and then disabling the side speakers in the next dialog?

If you're passing through HDMI, you could tell that dialog you had one speaker and it wouldn't matter. Passthrough audio is exactly what it sounds like.
Not passthrough, I'm currently making sure all multichannel audio (flac, aac, etc) formats work and this setting does effect PCM.

XBMC's DVDPlayer seem to ignore the setting, but PAPlayer and external players like MPC-HC requires this to be set correctly to get multichannel PCM.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows HDMI settings; Difference between 5.1 and 7.1 with sidespeakers disabled?0