Powerful HTPC on a budget
toymachine2009 Wrote:Isnt that a good HTPC budget or not?
the a6-3650 htpc in post #1 is the best for budget minded.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
touser Wrote:I'm looking to replace an e-350 that is really chugging running aeon MQ3 in library mode with tons of fanart, do you think this will handle that skin well? Is the APU strong enough or should i consider some type of nvidia graphics card? Running on my main desktop machine that skin with a full library loads everything instantly, i can scroll through hundreds of videos in the library and watch all of the fanart load and move on before i can even see it. Will this setup replicate that type of performance? Thanks!

Did you tried enabling dds faneart in advancesettings.xml?
bluray Wrote:it is more like $38 more for the a8-3850 system. if you think that 0.3ghz more worth $38, you can go for the a8-3850.

dont need extra fans,,,,
it wont produce intense heat you know,,,
eskro Wrote:dont need extra fans,,,,
it wont produce intense heat you know,,,
if it is in the open as this (AMD A8-3850 APU Gaming Performance Comparison), it's fine. but in the micro atx case, it's better with a couple case silent fans.

without fans, it still almost $40 cheaper for a6-3650!
Total: $440
eskro Wrote:Total: $440
if i remove the fans, it's $440-$404= $36. it's still $36 more for a8-3850!
yes like that, yes it is!

but i would be willing to go ahead with the $36
yes like that, yes it is!

since it'll be able to power ON from cold with CIR Reciever...
Nolwendil Wrote:Are you sure it's the e-350 that is the problem? Do you use SSD or HDD? I would suggest putting the skin and library data into a RAMDisk. You've got nothing to loose so see if that solves your issues rather than buying new hardware.

Thanks for the replies, i tried xbmc in portable mode last night in a ram drive and things improved considerably. I wouldn't call it fast but it is usable now, the only annoyance is when i first enter the Movie or TV library modes it's unusable for about 10 seconds then becomes fairly snappy from there on, this happens on my desktop as well though to a lesser extent so i'll chalk it up to a windows xbmc build issue because my desktop is an i7 @ 4.4ghz, 16gb ram, gtx 480 and raid0 ssd's. My lowly revo 1600 running linux doesn't have such problems lol.

Before this i tried DDS and things became a slideshow it was so bad (also seemed to crash fairly often running the latest nightly). I'm going to pick up 8gb of ram because it is so cheap and will just stick with this for now. Replicating my desktop's performance, at least in windows, just isn't worth the expense and it seems there is a performance wall to be hit with the windows build anyways, unless someone knows of some specific xbmc settings to try to increase library load performance somehow in windows?
touser Wrote:Before this i tried DDS and things became a slideshow it was so bad (also seemed to crash fairly often running the latest nightly). I'm going to pick up 8gb of ram because it is so cheap and will just stick with this for now. Replicating my desktop's performance, at least in windows, just isn't worth the expense and it seems there is a performance wall to be hit with the windows build anyways, unless someone knows of some specific xbmc settings to try to increase library load performance somehow in windows?

It was a slideshow the first time you used it or even after? Because the 1st time you use dds fanart, your computer is converting those jpg into dds. So that might put some strain on your system.
touser Wrote:I'm going to pick up 8gb of ram because it is so cheap and will just stick with this for now. Replicating my desktop's performance, at least in windows, just isn't worth the expense and it seems there is a performance wall to be hit with the windows build anyways, unless someone knows of some specific xbmc settings to try to increase library load performance somehow in windows?
2gb of ram is more than enough for xbmc htpc. i use nothing but windows7, and it's working great on all my htpc's. i never care for anything other than windows7 and windows8 is coming soon!
eskro Wrote:yes like that, yes it is!

i though that you're into saving money, and you always say never pay more than what you needs! Laugh

eskro Wrote:since it'll be able to power ON from cold with CIR Reciever...
another add cost!
Balinus Wrote:It was a slideshow the first time you used it or even after? Because the 1st time you use dds fanart, your computer is converting those jpg into dds. So that might put some strain on your system.

After as well, I deleted the library and thumbnails to start over from scratch which didn't help either. I don't understand how everyone else running windows isn't seeing any performance issues with extremely large libraries with fanart in aeon based skins? I've tried on many different machines ranging from atom to the desktop in my reply above and windows performance consistently sucks for xbmc. run Linux and the problems dissapear, unfortunately that isn't a very good solution for an e350 right now.
bluray Wrote:i though that you're into saving money, and you always say never pay more than what you needs! Laugh

another add cost!

thing is, i know some are just power hungry,,,
heck, if its the case, i'd have to remove all builds from my guide
and just keep the INTEL G530 build for LINUX
and keep AMD A4-3400 for WINDOWS...
eskro Wrote:thing is, i know some are just power hungry,,,
heck, if its the case, i'd have to remove all builds from my guide
and just keep the INTEL G530 build for LINUX
and keep AMD A4-3400 for WINDOWS...
i wouldn't say it is power hungry- Power Consumption. if you compare it to a similar cpu core with similar gpu, it consume very similar power.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Powerful HTPC on a budget0