mysql on nightly builds
not sure if its a bug or a problem on my setup but ever since early october builds the mysql database is not working , i know these are test builds but since its not working over a month i assume it didnt get noticed, the logs shows these error lines :

15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video57 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video57')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video56 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video56')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video55 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video55')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video54 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video54')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video53 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video53')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video52 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video52')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video51 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video51')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video50 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video50')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video49 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video49')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video48 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video48')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video47 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video47')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video46 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video46')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video45 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video45')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video44 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video44')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video43 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video43')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video42 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video42')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video41 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video41')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video40 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video40')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video39 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video39')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video38 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video38')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video37 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video37')
15:39:06 T:7316 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video36 [1044](Access denied for user 'xbmc'@'%' to database 'xbmc_video36')
Sounds like a similar problem to one I've had recently, which jhsrennie kindly answered in my post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114764

Hope it works for you.
From what i've seen, the eden builds expect you to name your database with the version number tacked on the end.

Then you have to make sure that your xbmc user has full rights to all databases that start with your chosen name (or the default of xbmc_video if you don't specify a name in AdvancedSettings.xml).

For me, I just renamed my current schema to xbmc_video[dharma_version_number] and gave xbmc mysql user full rights to the all db schemas that start with xbmc_%, then Eden auto-upgraded by creating a new schema with all the data copied over, named xbmc_video[eden_version_number]
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration
Thanks , it worked and a new database was created (xbmc_video57)
XBMC 11.0 Eden Beta 3

Used tip from this thread to get a new setup to work with MySQL.
Only create the xbmc_% user and select all privileges (except grant).
Then it worked for me ...

In my case the problem was I was explicit about the mysql username xbmc (instead of wildcard xbmc_%) ... and the real show stopper seemed to be precreating any schema in MySQL - i.e. precreating the video or music DB's - for XBMC. Only create the xbmc_% user and select all privileges (except grant).

BTW Below I have dumped a procedure step-by-step for deploying and configuring use of the central MySQL database with XBMC.

Deploy:
> Install XBMC Eden on yourpc

> Install MySQl Community Server on yourserver

> Install MySQL Workbench (admin tool) on yourserver

Configuration:
> yourserver > MySQL Workbench > Server Administration > Local MySQL > Manage Instance > (Login) > Security > Users and Privileges > Server Access Management > Add Account > Login Name: > xbmc > Password: > xxxxxx > Apply

> yourserver > MySQL Workbench > Server Administration > Local MySQL > Manage Instance > (Login) > Security > Users and Privileges > Schema Privileges > Users > xbmc > Add Entry... > Schemas matching pattern or name: > xbmc_% > ok > select and highlight the row (new entry) you just added > Select "ALL" > Save Changes

> yourpc (Windows Vista/7/8) > C: > Users > %username% > AppData > Roaming > XBMC > userdata > create file > advanced settings.xml

Add to advanced settings.xml:

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xxxxxx</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xxxxxx</pass>
<name>xbmc_music</name>
</musicdatabase>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>smb://myserver/shares$/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/playlists/</from>
<to>smb://myserver/shares$/xbmc/userdata/playlists/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

... you should at least keep the path substitution for thumbnails as you're going to need access to those as well from around other XBMC frontends. I decided to declare central use of playlists as well - the rest of available path substitutions in the XBMC doc I am not sure is useful for me right now at this stage of my xbmc use.

> yourserver > drive > create folder Shares\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails and Shares\xbmc\userdata\playlists

> yourserver > drive > Shares > properties > security > add modify permission template for [i]yourwindowsaccount the XBMC frontend is going to impersonate i.e. your own windows account[/i]

> yourserver > drive > Shares > properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Share this folder: X > Settings > Share > Shares$ > Permissions > Everyone > Remove > add System with Full Control permissions > add Administrators with Full Control permissions > add yourwindowsaccount with Change permissions > OK > OK > OK

> xbmc > start ...

Now XBMC should create the tables in the DB - and your central backend should be ready ...

... good to go?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries

Note the bit about Dharma vs Eden.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mysql on nightly builds0