GPU Purchase
I am sure this question gets asked far to often. I did research and can't come to a definite answer.

I got XBMC running on this machine:
Ubuntu 11.10
Q6600 on Asus P5Q
8GB DDR2 Ram
8600GT

Yup the machine is a little dated now but perfect for an HTPC.

It seems the 8600GT just won't cut it. One reason being it has a fan, I was hoping for a quieter solution. The big reason being noticeable tearing during HD playback.

I don't care to game on this box past the classic console emulators. So I'm looking for a quiet yet fully featured HTPC GPU. The choices seem to be:
GT430 or GT520. Price is not really important here.

I'm partial to NVIDIA but with a good argument I'd be willing to consider an AMD card.
Do you have VDPAU enabled? I've run the highest bitrate WALL-E through my 8300 and it did just fine.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Video Playback
- Render method: Auto
- Allow hard acceleration VDPAU: true
- Adjust display refresh rate to match video: false
- Sync playback to display: false

I do believe these are the default settings.
8600GT was a G84 part and the video decoding was only VDPAU feature set A I think.

GT520 is lower in power consumption (passive cooling) I'd say only get the GT430 if you have lots of interlaced stuff (OTA recordings etc).
You have it enabled, is it working? Check the debug logs.
Code:
I have just setup a dedicated XBMC machine, running on Linux, and bought this GT210 (1GB/passive cooling) for it. Works like a charm!

No gaming in mind, just plain and heavy 1080p, and its temperature barely goes up to 60 Celsius
What feature of GT 430 makes it better for interlaced stuff over GT 520?

For reference I watch a lot of old cartoons, 80s 90s stuff, hd movies so 1080P content is important.

If the 8600GT is feature set A for VDPAU, what feature set should I be looking for, simply the highest?
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...chips.html

I will check the debug logs when I get home to see if it is truly activated.
halsafar Wrote:What feature of GT 430 makes it better for interlaced stuff over GT 520?

twice the Stream Processors
520 is Feature Set D

Quote:We asked NVIDIA about the changes in the new VDPAU feature set and what it meant for Windows users. They indicated that the new VPU was a faster version, also capable of decoding 4K x 2K videos. This means that the existing dual stream acceleration for 1080p videos has now been bumped up to quad stream acceleration.

And possibly other goodies.
Code:
Thinking this one:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62293&vpn=...cture=ASUS
Got the GT520. Fanless, loving how quiet the box is.

The tearing I notice in moving scenes has NOT gone away, regardless of playing old cartoons, 1080P MKV's or even a DVD disc. I might just start a new thread on this. Quite disappointing.

q6600, GT520, HDMI1.4, Sony Bravia 46' (only 2 year old TV). I've turned off motion flow and all those crazy settings.

I'm thinking it is linux, same box booted into windows using VLC I can watch the same videos without a problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GPU Purchase0