[AppleTV2] Some noob Questions
I have an ATV2 running ver. 4.4.3. I installed XBMC over the weekend. I also installed updatebegone. Everything seems to be working so far and I watched some iso's off of my freenas server. All is good so far but I have some easy questions, I think.

Should I be updating every time there is a nightly build?

Is there any reason to not install nitoTV? It seems that it would make updates easier and I can easily install other features. To put it simply, should I install nitoTV?

I have photostream as my ATV2 screensaver. Does this eat up memory? My assumption is that ATV downloads the photostream pictures and keeps them in memory. Should I not use photostream?

Thanks!
The nightly build are done every night! Only update if you are experiencing some problem so that you can troubleshoot with a version that others are likely to have.

You don't need NitoTV but it is convenient.

With NitoTV only install the stuff you need. Updatebegone is good. Exposed is bad. Everything installed in nito (including xbmc) eats up memory - even if not used.

I can't comment on photostream as i don't use it. If you have any problems you can always turn it off for isolation testing.
I personally update the nightly every day, just because I'm a masochist. I'd suggest not installing a ton of stuff from Nito, only the things you need. I only have screen capture and XBMC, and updatebegone installed. There is no need to go crazy with those add-ons.

On another note, I can see the allure of photo streaming but wouldn't you rather have untethered freedom? The most important thing is to use Tiny Umbrella to save you SHSH blobs so that you can have them if required, and since Apple is kind enough to still be signing 8F455 you should do it immediately.
dieselboy27 Wrote:On another note, I can see the allure of photo streaming but wouldn't you rather have untethered freedom? The most important thing is to use Tiny Umbrella to save you SHSH blobs so that you can have them if required, and since Apple is kind enough to still be signing 8F455 you should do it immediately.

I accidentally updated to 4.4.3 (don't ask how!), but was on 8F455 and didn't save my SHSH blob.

Can you tell me how I go about getting the signing for the 8F455 on my ATV2, even though I'm not currently running that version on the device itself? Or is this possible?
dieselboy27 Wrote:The most important thing is to use Tiny Umbrella to save you SHSH blobs so that you can have them if required, and since Apple is kind enough to still be signing 8F455 you should do it immediately.

I don't know if I'm stupid or hard headed, but I have never EVER saved my blobs. Starting with my 2 ipod touches and now my atv2. I guess I have never seen a need to even try to save something like that. What could I possibly need my "blobs" for. I have nearly bricked my ipod and that was as close to fuking anything Apple up I got. I'm not saying don't do it, but I don't know why I would have to.
mrjasenr Wrote:I don't know if I'm stupid or hard headed, but I have never EVER saved my blobs. Starting with my 2 ipod touches and now my atv2. I guess I have never seen a need to even try to save something like that. What could I possibly need my "blobs" for. I have nearly bricked my ipod and that was as close to fuking anything Apple up I got. I'm not saying don't do it, but I don't know why I would have to.

When Apple stops signing 4.x and you want to re-jailbreak your appletv and run unteathered, then you will understand why shsh blobs are so important.
Syntic Wrote:I accidentally updated to 4.4.3 (don't ask how!), but was on 8F455 and didn't save my SHSH blob.

Can you tell me how I go about getting the signing for the 8F455 on my ATV2, even though I'm not currently running that version on the device itself? Or is this possible?

He already told you "use Tiny Umbrella to save your SHSH blobs". So google "Tiny Umbrella" and do it.
I started XBMC, checked memory. Then I turned off photostream and no change in memory.

But I will install nitoTV and Tiny Umbrella.

Thanks to all.
Will the system automatically update xbmc every night to the newest build?
bl4scott Wrote:Will the system automatically update xbmc every night to the newest build?

Nope. People have created scripts that you could use or you could just manually enter the 3 commands via SSH yourself whenever you wish to update.
The last version I had was from the 24th that had a blue tint over layed on everything. The build seemed to work fine and this morning, the tint was gone and I was having buffering issues and audio sync issues. Could there be something that I am not doing correctly when installing a new build?
There's no way we can know without a log file.

Read this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ecific_FAQ

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Some noob Questions0