Help with drivers and GPU and fan control
Hi all. Sorry for the ignorance but I have a few questions on optimizing my new HTPC.

I purchased a Radeon HD 6870 GPU amongst other things. I have always used nVidia cards, so I am new to ATI. Aside from maintaining current Catalyst drivers what do I need to do to remove old ATI drivers when installing a new version?

Also is there a good utility for OCing the card and controlling its fan?

Lastly - I wanted a good utility for control case fan speeds. Is there such a thing without somehow tapping into the wiring of each fan? I have never cared about fan control, but with a HTPC I do.

Thanks all.
For fans control, look at "Speedfan".
ghart999 Wrote:Hi all. Sorry for the ignorance but I have a few questions on optimizing my new HTPC.

I purchased a Radeon HD 6870 GPU amongst other things. I have always used nVidia cards, so I am new to ATI. Aside from maintaining current Catalyst drivers what do I need to do to remove old ATI drivers when installing a new version?

Also is there a good utility for OCing the card and controlling its fan?

Lastly - I wanted a good utility for control case fan speeds. Is there such a thing without somehow tapping into the wiring of each fan? I have never cared about fan control, but with a HTPC I do.

Thanks all.

Catalyst Control Center will allow you to over clock your card and adjust fan speed manually. I really like MSI Afterburner as an over clock utility as well because it shows you graphs of temp, fan speed, core clock, etc.
lrusak Wrote:Catalyst Control Center will allow you to over clock your card and adjust fan speed manually. I really like MSI Afterburner as an over clock utility as well because it shows you graphs of temp, fan speed, core clock, etc.

Does the MSI one do everything the Catalyst Control Center does? Meaning can I use it for everything to do with the GPU and its fan? Well you said manual fan control. So what would I need for automated fan control wherein the fan can kick on more at certain temps, etc.
to control control case fan speeds,
you can use 'if space allows' a Fan Controller
like the one Beer40onze has...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811992005

if no space,
you can use 5V FAN SPEED REDUCER CABLES
http://www.xsfans.com/index.php?main_pag...7174c52719

if you can connect your fans to your motherboard's fan headers,
thats a way to do it.
then using the BIOS u can tweak the fan speeds...
if u dont see this bios feature, u can use SpeedFAN from within windows,,

if not just buy quiet fans Tongue
eskro Wrote:if you can connect your fans to your motherboard's fan headers,
thats a way to do it.
then using the BIOS u can tweak the fan speeds...
if u dont see this bios feature, u can use SpeedFAN from within windows,,

if not just buy quiet fans Tongue

I have the ASRock 880GM-LE. I guess I need to figure out if fans can connect directly to this Mobo. Thanks all.
ghart999 Wrote:I have the ASRock 880GM-LE. I guess I need to figure out if fans can connect directly to this Mobo. Thanks all.

Great motherboard you have there. Can you install a fan control? what type of case you have? How about the fan on your CPU the motherboard can control that.... I have mine at 700RPM

I am not sure if you are going to be able to control the fan speed on that GPU card you have. I have tried 3 of them with different software non work. My GT 430 I did hook it up directly to my NZXT fan control and that worked. But at the moment I have a fanless GPU witch is very nice.
I have a Silverstone GD04, so I only have 1 5.25" external opening which will need to be used for the DVD drive. So I am out of luck with a fan controller.
ghart999 Wrote:I have a Silverstone GD04, so I only have 1 5.25" external opening which will need to be used for the DVD drive. So I am out of luck with a fan controller.

Ok then use something like this....

XIGMATEK CSF-CBK33-U01

There are many others.... you have slots in your back right?

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811998129
Beer40oz Wrote:Ok then use something like this....

XIGMATEK CSF-CBK33-U01

There are many others.... you have slots in your back right?

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811998129

Those rear slot fan controllers look perfect. Excellent.
One more question when I go to install drivers, etc for my mobo, should I just use the included disk or manually DL all drivers, etc. from the ASRock website and install one by one?
I installed them from there website.... since they are the most up to date.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with drivers and GPU and fan control0