[PPC] Load XBMC with no finder or less GUI Bloat?
I was wondering if it was possible to load XBMC without the finder/desktip in OSX . I ask because I would like to slim down some PPC OSX installations. I suppose this would be much the same way that Apple TV 1 rund XBMC with no finder or as in a minimal Ubuntu or XBMCLive installation loads XBMC with no GUI.

I really want to find a way to get rid of the bloat in OSX and leave more resources for XBMC
Do you still want to run OS X? Debian runs just fine on PPC.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
No, not for mortals anyway.
davilla Wrote:No, not for mortals anyway.

Try Open Terminal:
defaults write com.apple.loginwindow Finder /Applications/XBMC.app

Make sure you have SSH enabled so you undo what you did.
Code:
darkscout Wrote:Do you still want to run OS X? Debian runs just fine on PPC.

yes but xbmc does not run on ppc linux, surprise!
Try the defaults write. There have been numerous commands over the years to 'replace' finder.

If that doesn't work. find your "finder.app" and move xbmc there instead.
-
It doesn't?

Because Debian Multimedia has it compiled:

http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/unsta...mc-bin.php
Code:
MarkosJal Wrote:yes but xbmc does not run on ppc linux, surprise!

yes it does Smile
Davila

Tell me where then. I have been looking for weeks . It will not build onto PPC the last time I tried 10.1 from source and believe it was lGLEW that I needed. I also tried a nightly, with separate issues.

Would be nice when saying that "it does" if you could be more specific than Vague.

Yiou seem to imply "yes it does" like it is easy and it is not in The PPA, nor ate there any compile docs anywhere. I would anticipate a substantial performance increase just as I get with ATV Linux Noi to mention breaking the bounds of the Mac OS version that does not sync display rate to video and crashed frequently.

Mark
darkscout

How does one undo it?

Looked around on google found nothing directry relevant
defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow Finder
What OS are you running?

I'd highly suggest trying Debian since they tend not neglect "old" hardware like Ubuntu.
Code:
Davila,

there was a different question posted for you here . I see you did not touch it. Remember Linux PPC XBMC?

If you have any insight please share. Many folks are looking for and asking for the same here and nobody seems to have it.

Are you saying run this from the terminal prompt?
defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow Finder
Yes, run that at the terminal prompt and it'll reverse the defaults write.
-
Like *I* asked. What distro of PPC Linux are you running? Ubuntu, YellowDog, Debian?
Code:
darkscout

I have tried debian in the past. I found it was difficult to manage , I tried both lenny and what some bozo was calling linux mint PPC, that nothing worked in. Mint just works and that Mint PPC bore no resemblance.

I prefer Ubuntu 10.10 and when I want it Mint-ed I just add what I want from mint. My PCs all run Mint 10.10 and I have even built Mint 10 (based on Ubuntu 10.10) with XBMC and the Apple Bootloader. It flies compared to OSX 10.4 on the Apple TV. In fact I will be posting the latest that now includes WiFi (It is an entire Mint / XBMC / Apple Bootloader image). It is ridiculously easy to install most any 3rd party hardware in. It is intended for someone that does not want to do a lot of fidgeting with installations. Just download and dd to a memory stick. Once on a Memory stick you can dd the image to the ATV hard disk. It fits and runs on an 8 Gig thumb drive. You cabn even take the Hard disk out of the ATV to relieve the heat problem. I live in Vallarta, this is a serious issue here. No hardware is designed to survive the heat humidity and salt air here.

It is my understanding that if it works in Debian it works on Ubuntu which is debian based. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, yes it is debian, but two steps better.
Ubuntu sort of drops support for stuff when it no longer suits their needs. I have a sheevaplug which is an armel and no longer supported.

Run Debian Sid. It's almost always up to date compared to Ubuntu/Mint. None of this 'we're locking to this unless you want a huge update in the future that might break everything'.

I had no issue following the commands from the README.linux to get all the required dependancies. I think we'll probably have better luck helping you compile for Linux rather than hacking OS X to do something it wasn't designed to do Smile
Code:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PPC] Load XBMC with no finder or less GUI Bloat?0