atv2 users, please post your advancesettings.xml
I'm still pretty new to icefilms and just trying to get it tuned properly
Im not all that impressed with the video quality of watching tv shows through icefilms on my apple tv 2
Im hoping there are some xml settings that Im missing
Please post your advancedsettings.xml and any other tuning you have done that improved playback

my setup:
apple tv 2: 4.3 (2557)
xbmc: nightly, 11/22/2011 release
icefilms: 1.0.17
connection: wired, 40-50 mbs

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>

<network>
<cachemembuffersize>5242880</cachemembuffersize>
</network>

<samba>
<doscodepage></doscodepage>
<clienttimeout>10</clienttimeout>
<statfiles>false</statfiles>
</samba>

<gui><algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions></gui>
<gui><nofliptimeout>100</nofliptimeout></gui>

</advancedsettings>
Do you mean icefilms as in the addon? I have no problems with the SD contents whatsoever. For HD, most contents are divx, which goes through software decoding and hence are choppy. This is not meant to improve any time soon, unless someone finds a way to hardware decode the divx or until the new ffmpeg is integrated into xbmc.

I've set cachemembuffersize to 0 - it allows the whole file to be downloaded (Buffered).
I've set algorithmdirtyregions to 3 - no more flickering.
newatv2user Wrote:Do you mean icefilms as in the addon? I have no problems with the SD contents whatsoever. For HD, most contents are divx, which goes through software decoding and hence are choppy. This is not meant to improve any time soon, unless someone finds a way to hardware decode the divx or until the new ffmpeg is integrated into xbmc.

I've set cachemembuffersize to 0 - it allows the whole file to be downloaded (Buffered).
I've set algorithmdirtyregions to 3 - no more flickering.

yea, the plugin
Im perfectly content with sd content.. so if I can get that playing cleanly, Ill be happy.

Ill try changing those settings and see if it helps..

just to clarify.. when you say it allows the whole file to be downloaded.. I assume that means if you pause it and your connection is fast enough, it can buffer the full file ahead.. basically the same as setting an infinite cache?
so... are these the only settings you have set:

Apple-TV:/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata root# cat advancedsettings.xml
<advancedsettings>

<network>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
</network>

<gui><algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions></gui>
<gui><nofliptimeout>100</nofliptimeout></gui>

</advancedsettings>
ok... so I changed the settings.. and I really dont think my problem is with buffering.. more an issue with playback..

when i have it paused, i can see the lighter grey bar has moved over half way across, which i assume indicates it has downloaded half the show already.. and what Im playing is cached

but every few seconds, the sounds skips a bit.. its not enough to stop me from watching, but definitely enough to be annoying...

and occasionally, the sound stops all together and I have to pause and unpause to get it back..

this may be a stupid question.. but is the audio and video caching separately? its almost as if the video has cached well ahead, but the audio is still trying to catch up
Would installing this advancedsettings.xml have an adverse affect on icefilms if the plugin is updated in the future?

Would this fill up the aTV storage, or does it purge it after you have stopped watching the film? I'm just wondering if this solution would be possible without the need to fix it due to space being filled etc.
dieselboy27 Wrote:Would installing this advancedsettings.xml have an adverse affect on icefilms if the plugin is updated in the future?

Would this fill up the aTV storage, or does it purge it after you have stopped watching the film? I'm just wondering if this solution would be possible without the need to fix it due to space being filled etc.

i wouldnt think so.. but if it did, it would be easy enough to ssh in and delete or at least rename the file

when testing, i renamed mine to advancedsettings.bak
and had alot more issues with buffering
naming the file back to .xml, the buffering issues are gone.. but Im still having issues with sound skipping Sad

its tmp storage.. pretty sure it gets cleared out each time you close xbmc (or when the show ends, not sure which)..
i definitely dont have to do any manual cleanup.
I have not noticed the audio issue you are describing, only if you try720p content. That will not work on aTV.

But on the same note, there are issues with icefilms at times so it's possible to see strange things occur.
what xbmc build are you using?
Im using a nightly build, havent updated since 11/22 though
I have seen some mention of specific releases being more stable than others
I am on the latest nightly. I update each day.
i left my last show on pause a little longer, even after it appeared to have finished buffering the entire show.. it really gives me the impression that the audio caches slower than the video...

Ive been looking through all the potential advancedsettings.xml settings to see if there are any options that might improve the audio... tons of interesting audio settings in there.. hopefully someone smarter than me, that knows what they do, comes along and makes recommendations on which ones may help.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml
i just went into the audio settings while watching a show in icefilms.. and noticed audio output was set to optical/coax... Im switching that to hdmi to see if it makes a difference.
Can you tell me which file you are trying to play?

I use optical coax because that is the cable I use.
no specific file.. every single tv show ive done has had the same issue..
but seems that if i leave it paused a little longer, the sound finally catches up

Im on a 40-50mb connection with a premium mega upload account.. so I dont think bandwidth is an issue...
Ive got an optical coax laying around somewhere.. maybe Ill dig that out and see if it makes a difference
Why not update to a newer nightly?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
atv2 users, please post your advancesettings.xml0