Help w/ build? (Power Supply question)
Question 
Hey I'm building a new HTPC, with specs below but I need help with the power supply. I've included a couple links with different ones, but can someone confirm that one of the below work?

Motherboard: ZOTAC FUSION350-A-E AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core)
Ram: Kingston 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3 1066 204-PIN
Case: Mini-Box M350
Power Supply (This is where I need help):
picoPSU-120
picoPSU-90
picoPSU-80

I guess basically I'm just not sure the wattage and stuff. What's better to buy? Price isn't a huge issue here but just want to make sure to get the right thing.

Thanks guys
picopsu 80W is enough. You could go as low as 60W for the E-350.

About your RAM, the E-350 is single channel RAM. So, you won't have any benefit of having 2 stick of RAM. And imho, 8GB is overkill with a E-350.
Quote:Hardly ever goes past 40W - with Seagate 1TB 7200 rpm drive and junky old 380 PSU (the non 80+ type).

This was from one of the Newegg comments. You don't mention what storage you're planning on (HDD/SSD?) but if the above is correct then any of the DC power supplies you've linked will be fine.

THAT SAID - the higher the rated power output the less stressed the components will be. For the few bucks difference I'd go with the 120W unit and build in some comfort factor.....
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thanks Balinus for the tip on the RAM, so that basically means I'm maxed out at 4gb? What's the point of having 2 RAM slots if you can't use them? Is there an equivalent motherboard where I could take advantage of this?

Also, thanks DDDamian for the tip about the power supply- I'll be using a WD Caviar Black 250gB (2.5") so not sure if that give more details, but I might go with 120W just cause I'd be less stressed of things overheating.
Well, about the RAM I'm just saying that you won't benefit from dual-channel RAM. You can still use 8GB of RAM. All E-350 motherboard will be the same in that respect.

For PSU, even with an optical drive, 3.5" HDD, you'll have ample room with the 80W PSU. However, for future expandability, more W could be a solution (i.e. multiple HDDs, etc...).

As an example, I have a 120W picoPSU on my A6-3500 (65W TDP vs 18W TDP for the E-350), with a 2.5" HDD, 4GB of RAM and from my test, I never go more than 80W (full CPU and GPU load).
Based on the 96% efficiency claimed by the mfg you're looking at <5W heat disipation at full load. Based on the 40W figure stated in the comment it's <2W - not much at all. So I wouldn't worry about the heat generated by the PSU.

A soldering iron is usually 15/30W...

I believe (but maybe research) that the ATI GPU onboard will handle TrueHD/DTS-MA when it's ready as well Smile

Good Luck with the build!
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Don't forget to factor in the cost of a mains power brick.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
It does indeed look like it will support TrueHD/DTS-MA as specified on the AMD specs.

EDIT: Actually one more question concerning the power supply- Would it just make sense to get a kit like the following with the brick included? It says typical 60w with 85w as the max- too risky to get the one below?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817129006
brendch06 Wrote:It does indeed look like it will support TrueHD/DTS-MA as specified on the AMD specs.
I have AsRock E350M1, and it can bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD with ease.

The easiest way to configure XBMC to bitstream is with external player. You can try my external codes from here- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
brendch06 Wrote:It does indeed look like it will support TrueHD/DTS-MA as specified on the AMD specs.

EDIT: Actually one more question concerning the power supply- Would it just make sense to get a kit like the following with the brick included? It says typical 60w with 85w as the max- too risky to get the one below?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817129006

Generally ATI 6xxx series does well with HD-audio.

As to the PSU - yep, saves you a few bucks, but I'd want more headroom than what that link offers. If you live in the Arctic Circle no prob, if you're in Phoenix I'd be concerned Big Grin Don't forget an over-stressed PSU can do a lot of damage if it fails.
What I need is something inbetween... the kit from mini-box is upwards of $70 and isn't even in stock. How's this? It's the PICOPSU-90 kit from mini-box with brick included.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=29462&vpn=...e=Mini-Box
Power brick in that is still only 60W - kinda silly when the DC/DC converter is rated 90W??
The next one up gives you a 150W DC/DC with a 102W brick - see forum link http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=show...msg2005321
It always seems the adapter is less than the actual power supply. Don't know why this is- From the mini-box web site the kits are as follows:

picoPSU-150-XT + 150W Adapter Power Kit
picoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kit
picoPSU-120 + 102W Adapter Power Kit
picoPSU-120 + 60W Adapter Power Kit
PicoPSU-80 + 60W Adapter Power Kit

It seems there's never sold a power supply and adapter that match? Except for the 150, but that seems like overkill for a small form factor/low output build like mine...
Yeah - it's really silly to not match the components. From the requirements you've stated I think the 102W/150W or 102W/120W is probably the sweet-spot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help w/ build? (Power Supply question)0