Thumbnails displayed in homescreen for *.pls
hello,

my build is 22.04.05 with pm iii .. from cvs!

also posted a bug report on sourceforge (request id: 1190259)

i have for example a radio21.pls file and have made a new icon for this radiostation. the icon is in .jpg format. then i rename my radio21.jpg icon to radio21.tbn and place it in the same folder where my radio21.pls file is.

then when i start to play the .pls file it plays but the thumbnail does not display in homescreen at all! the .tbn file displays correctly in listview, icon-view, big icon-view, etc ..
but when i play the .pls file in homescreen, where normally a audio cover is displayed, the .tbn file is not displayed! just the standard music icon from xbmc is displayed!

i have tried everything.
made also a separate folder eg. f:\webradio\radio21 and put the .pls file and .tbn file in there.
then i renamed the .tbn file to folder.jpg or radio21.jpg.
i cannot use default.tbn, because i have more than one .pls files in a specified directory! and i want to assign each radiostation (.pls) a separate .tbn thumbnail icon.

everytime the thumbnail is displayed correctly when in listview or browsing "mymusic".
but when playing the .pls stream, the thumbnail is not displayed at all in the homescreen, where normally the audio covers are displayed! there is just the standard xbmc icon displayed!

thanks in advance.

scape
My XBOX built into a Sony Hifi CD-Player Case
XBOX Hifi Media Center Picture Gallery

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

as far as i know, this has always been the case.  a tbn for a stream file will be displayed in the file listing, but not in the music cover spot while playing.

you may have noticed that the information for the currently playing song is displayed, and not just your pls filename. since the data is based on the streamed song, you dont get a thumbnail.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
hi kraqh3d,

thanks for the fast reply.

so this means, that for a stream file xbmc cannot display a tbn file for the coverimage?

i have for example also a non internet radio station which streams just their radio program over the internet. but the radio station is not a normal internet station (streaming mp3 or anything else), instead is a normal radio station.

so, the title of the currently played song is not displayed because the radio station does not send it. there is only the name of the radio station displayed.

so that i understand it correct. the name of the currently playing song must be the same as the tbn file for correct display?

but how does it work then, when playing and complete album (mp3) and the cover beeing displayed (tbn).
there also the songs are changing every time, but the cover remains still the same. how is it done?

is there a workaround to display my tbn file for radio streams (pls files)?

thanks,
scape

if its a shoutcast stream you should get the song title and such.  for other types of streams, you may not get any information.  

you cannot get a thumb for streaming audio. there is no workaround.  it's just not supported.

regarding playing an mp3 album... the tag reader reads the information from the file, and then looks for a cached "album" thumb.  this is technically different than the thumb thats seen when in files view.

** edit **
i took a quick at the code, and this should be doable. i'm still working a few thumbnail related aspects, so i'll just add this to my list of things for this weekend.

hey kraqh3d,

thank you so much for implementing this feature! :thumbsup:

and thank you also for your great encouragement for the development of xbmc. you guys just rock. Cool

scape

i did a little research last night, and it's not going to be as easy as i first thought. the infomanager sees the file as the stream itself (ie, shout://stream.something.com:9000/). the strm/pls filename will need to be passed along so that it can be used to get the thumbnail.
do we have the info of the pls file in the application class? just thinking outloud Smile

that's what i have to check tonight. so far, i've only looked at the infomanager. i'm expecting that it's available somewhere in application.cpp before the stream starts. then all i need to add is a way to pass it off to the infomanager.
thanks kraqh3d for implementing it to cvs! Smile

greetings,
scape

hey kraqh3d,

today i updated xbmc to the new build and i wanted to try the feature for displaying images for .pls files.

i noticed no changes! it doesn't work.

i have the same radio21.pls file and a .jpg picture for the radio station called radio21.jpg (in the same folder!Wink. i also tried to rename it to .tbn .. nothing works.

in the mymusic view when i go to the folder it displays correctly the corresponding thumbnail (.tbn) for the radio station.

but when playing the .pls file just the default audio logo appears where the music cover should be. also in any view and also in the homescreen.

could you again please have a look at it? thanks in advance.

scape

i just tested with a compile from yesterday's cvs, and it's working fine for me with both a .tbn file, and a folder.jpg file. i'll sync up cvs shortly and retest to see if it broke in the last 24 hours (which i doubt.)

"filename.jpg" is not supported, but "filename.tbn" should work.

** edit **

resynced, recompiled, still working... here's a screenshot of a shoutcast .pls file inheriting the image from it's folder's folder.jpg file, on top of milkdrop.

it was my fault.

i had a bad build. i just downloaded the new cvs and compiled it new.
after that everything works great and also the displaying of the .tbn file. :thumbsup:

thanks for your help.

scape

xbmc compile from yesterday's cvs
it doesn't work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbnails displayed in homescreen for *.pls0