Running XBMC on Stripped Down Windows
hi i was wondering is there a way to run xbmc on a stripped down version of windows 7

i was thinking of installing windows 7 starter which is the most basic package for windows 7 then just removing all the crap you don't need and then using instantsheller to set xbmc to boot as shell

i have used instantsheller to do this before and works great however i am wondering if i remove not needed items would it speed up boot and shutdown of the htpc

similar to how openelec has done it with the linux distro but as i am using onboard radeon graphics the linux versions including xbmc live do not work well with the graphics i would have to purchase a nvidia graphics card to use

has anyone attempted this or have any suggestions or tips
I've used Tiny7 in the past without any problems running XBMC.
Sranshaft Wrote:I've used Tiny7 in the past without any problems running XBMC.
+1 worked like a charm.
If you don't have experience you could easily mess up win and make them unbootable.

you can speed up boot, but don't expect nothing major - it is just the way it is. "Server 2008 standard core" installation does not even have explorer installed so it has no explorer shell, but it is still preparing my desktop on every startup.

I switched from tiny 7 just cause i bought new mbo and 8 GB of ram - tiny 7 are x86 otherwise i would still use them Smile.
I'd be surprised if you manage to make much difference to the boot time or memory usage of Windows 7. If you want a stripped down OS you should look at OpenElec or XBMC Live.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I'd be surprised if you manage to make much difference to the boot time or memory usage of Windows 7. If you want a stripped down OS you should look at OpenElec or XBMC Live.

JR

i actually have been looking at openelec but i have a RC6 MCE remote control and there is no support to do keymapping so i cannot program the keys in the windows install of xbmc there is a mce remote addon this does not exist in the openelec one and have heard it may not be supported in the future either as majority of openelec users use harmony and other remotes

because of this i cannot program the buttons like i can in windows

not sure if this addon exists in the xbmc live if someone uses that if they could tell me that would be good you will find it in addons and either program add-ons or services it should be called MCERemote or something like that
In OpenElec RC6 remotes work with LIRC and you can configure them by editing the appropriate key mapping file, though I must admit I forget which this is. Someone in the Linux/Live forum will know.

JR
protocol77 Wrote:i actually have been looking at openelec but i have a RC6 MCE remote control and there is no support to do keymapping so i cannot program the keys in the windows install of xbmc there is a mce remote addon this does not exist in the openelec one and have heard it may not be supported in the future either as majority of openelec users use harmony and other remotes

because of this i cannot program the buttons like i can in windows

not sure if this addon exists in the xbmc live if someone uses that if they could tell me that would be good you will find it in addons and either program add-ons or services it should be called MCERemote or something like that

RC6 remotes via MCEUSB and most other receivers will work out of the box in OpenELEC, also you are able to change Lircmap.xml like you want. There is nothing special in OpenELEC except using eventlircd instead LIRC for more generic input device support.
greetings, Stephan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running XBMC on Stripped Down Windows0