ATV2 - Eden Slowness / Choppy & Buffering Playback (VOBs)
Sad 
It seems there's a lot of commentary on here at the moment about ATV2 issues, but as none of them (appear!) to have been resolved and my issues seems to be compounded with general slowness, I thought I'd post a new one.

My library is on a WD NAS, wired to my ATV2. My movies are all VOBs and TV shows are a mix of lower quality AVIs & the like, both on SMB shares.

Since upgrading to Eden, my ATV is notably slower to navigate and my VOB movies are unwatchable, stuttering and buffering constantly, when previously they were perfect. The only change is the Eden install.

I've tried the other fixes on the forum (Coax / no sync settings), but there's no difference, the system is still slow and the movies are unplayable. Even my low quality TV shows jitter every once in a while :mad:

For reference, I have another ATV2 upstairs connected via PowerLine adapters, on the previus XBMC build and it's perfect.

I can only conclude there's an issue with Eden that can no longer cope with the full-fat VOBs.... and as I have 1.5TB of them, converting them isn't an option!!!

Questions... is there a fix in the pipeline that's due any time soon? If not, how can I downgrade back to the previous version that's on my ATV2 upstairs, while once is sorted?

Thanks! Mark
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...og_for_iOS

Haven't had any such issues with my ATV2 and Eden beta 1. If you are having issues then we must get the debug log from you so we can see what is going on in your copy.
Hi Ned, thanks for your reply. I've done as you requested, loading XBMC and firing up a VOB that previously played OK. Here's the requested log, I hope it's useful.....

http://pastebin.com/g6bQxt9R

While running in debug mode, I noticed the XBMC-CPU was in the 80% range without doing anything and then upto 99.29% while playing the movie, I guess that's not good!

I look forwards to your reply.

Thanks again. Mark
I have a similar issue, but only do streaming through a plugin. I'll pull a log though I didn't see anything obvious when i looked through it the other day.

It was rock solid before 4.4.4 and eden (upgraded both). Now video routinely stumbles and gets behind the audio. works for a few and stumbles again, cpu usage is high.
Having similar issues here with the new upgrade to 4.4.4 and Eden beta 1. I'm playing MKV's which played flawlessly in previous versions and now have the choppiness to them.

It would be nice to have the nightly builds back until Eden is more stable.
I'm not an expert, so this is probably not what's wrong Wink But you are playing a file with 5.1 audio and xbmc downmixes it to 2.0. Have you got a file in 2.0?
sjskent Wrote:Having similar issues here with the new upgrade to 4.4.4 and Eden beta 1. I'm playing MKV's which played flawlessly in previous versions and now have the choppiness to them.

It would be nice to have the nightly builds back until Eden is more stable.

Beta is pretty much the same as the nightlies, just nightlies that are at a point for mass (semi-mass?) consumption. The code comes from the same place.
Where to Download THe Last stable 10.9 xbmc dharma Version for atv2?
ask apt-get for the specific version you want.
Ok thanks i'll try it!
In my case the video is 360p or 480p, subtitled and only uses 2.0 audio.

CPU usage goes from 40% or so up to 99.2+% when the stuttering begins. After a few seconds it will drop back to 40% and be fine.

Here is the interesting thing, it appears to happen at the exact same places each time while watching the videos. Exactly what that means I cannot say, but a subtitled low resolution anime from crunchyroll should not cause a slowdown and definitely did not on previous versions of xbmc.

I've watched the xbmc logs and syslog at the same time as the cpu goes nuts but NOTHING shows up in there that matches with the time. Is there a way to increase logging? Since it is the appletv.app (that isnt quite spelled right I think) process that is going to 100%, are there alternate logs to capture?
davilla Wrote:ask apt-get for the specific version you want.

Could you give me more info on using this command so that I can downgrade to 10.9 please? It seems that there's a lot of issues with Eden, so I'd rather go back to an older version that at least lets me continue to use my ATV, while the bugs are worked out.
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to 4.4.4 and Eden and experiencing the same problem.. EXACTLY the same, only with an MKV file. CPU usage will float around 45-50% then suddenly peak, and stutter for a while, then recover. Network usage from my NAS also drops (obvious I guess).

File had subtitles too.
Hi all,

I also had exact problem when I upgraded to iOS 4.4.4 but when I rolled back to 4.3 and installed Eden, everything works just fine, or I can even say much smoother than the pre-Eden builds.

I think there might be something wrong with 4.4.4 that causes this problem. You should try to downgrade to 4.3 and enjoy Eden rather than roll back to pre-Eden builds.
I have the experience that ios5 is slower on my ipad as ios4 ... so it might be that ios it self is needing more cpu and ressources with version 5 now - this could of course also affect atv2 Sad
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 - Eden Slowness / Choppy & Buffering Playback (VOBs)0