Advancedsettings.xml Path substitution question......
I have setup a central library database on my mediaserver with MySQL. I am having some problems with the advancedsettings.xml file though. I am trying to use Path substitution to redirect several configuration files, as to a share on my media server, including Thumbnails folder, sources.xml, favourites.xml, etc. However, after adding sources on one of my XBMC machines and scanning to library, I I check on the media share server and none of the config files were created, and nothing is in the thumbnails folder. Can somebody please take a look at my advancedsettings.xml and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any help is appreciated. I also just checked MySQL and it appears that XBMC did not create the MySQL databases after I created the XBMC user and gave it full permissions. This advancedsettings.xml is in the root of my userdata folder.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.1.5</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_video</name>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.1.5</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_music</name>
    </musicdatabase>

<pathsubstitution>
       <substitute>
         <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
         <to>smb://192.168.1.5/media-raid/XBMC_DATA/Thumbnails/</to>
       </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

<pathsubstitution>
       <substitute>
         <from>special://masterprofile/Playlists/</from>
         <to>smb://192.168.1.5/media-raid/XBMC_DATA/Playlists/</to>
       </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

<pathsubstitution>
       <substitute>
         <from>special://masterprofile/RssFeeds.xml</from>
         <to>smb://192.168.1.5/media-raid/XBMC_DATA/RSSFeeds.xml/</to>
       </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

<pathsubstitution>
       <substitute>
         <from>special://masterprofile/sources.xml</from>
         <to>smb://192.168.1.5/media-raid/XBMC_DATA/sources.xml/</to>
       </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

<pathsubstitution>
       <substitute>
         <from>special://masterprofile/favourites.xml</from>
         <to>smb://192.168.1.5/media-raid/XBMC_DATA/favourites.xml/</to>
       </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

<pathsubstitution>
       <substitute>
         <from>special://masterprofile/mediasources.xml</from>
         <to>smb://192.168.1.5/media-raid/XBMC_DATA/mediasources.xml/</to>
       </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

Thanks for any help sorting this out.

-hogfan
Have you checked that the advancedsettings.xml is being read? Look in the xbmc.log (you don't need debug logging on for this) and if XBMC is reading the advancedsettings.xml the log will show the file contents.

JR
After looking over the log it looks likes the advancedsettings.xml is being loaded, but XBMC is unable to connect to the MYSQL database. I following the guide on the Wiki for setting up MYSQL.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries

I used:

Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
rather than

Code:
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc';
to only grant the xbmc user access to the xbmc database only.

This Wiki article does not mention creating the video and music databases in MYSQL. Do I need to do this? I understood the article as creating the xbmc user in MYSQL and giving it permissions on the xbmc database would allow XBMC to automatically create the databases. Any suggestions appreciated. As for the Path Substitutions, I'm not sure why those are not working for my sources.xml, etc. files. I know it's not a permissiond issue on the network share because I have successfully exported my library previously to my movies folder which is on the same share.

Here is my pastebin logfile:

http://pastebin.com/NnTATDdR

- hogfan
You don't want multiple <pathsubstitution>. All your substitutions should be nested under a single <pathsubstitution> </pathsubstitution> otherwise you could have problems.

It should look like this:

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
       <substitute>
       </substitute>
       <substitute>
       </substitute>
       <substitute>
       </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
Try removing the <name> tag from <videodatabase> and <musicdatabase> and let XBMC choose the name.

JR
i am running xbmc on 1 mac mini and 1 atv2 using a centralized mysql server on my synology nas.

in my advancedsettings.xml i do NOT have any specified <name> tag for the database so i guess that xbmc is handeling that bit nowdays

running the latest EDEN beta on both devices

Looking at my mysql databas i can see that i now have multiple database's that is xbmc related.

i seem to have:

xbmc_music
xbmc_music18
xbmc_video
xbmc_video57
xbmc_video58
Mymusic18
Myvideos57
Myvideos58

Some of these i probably have made my self as an backup at some stage, but is it correct to asume that the xbmc_music** and xbmc_video** with the highest number is the current ones, and if so is it safe to delete the others?

and is there any way to find out what database xbmc is using, i cant seem to find any information about it in the log file.
gabbott Wrote:You don't want multiple <pathsubstitution>. All your substitutions should be nested under a single <pathsubstitution> </pathsubstitution> otherwise you could have problems.

It should look like this:

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
       <substitute>
       </substitute>
       <substitute>
       </substitute>
       <substitute>
       </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

Now that I think about that makes perfect sense. I have corrected this and all of those files appear to be redirecting properly now.

-hogfan
mcfrojd Wrote:i am running xbmc on 1 mac mini and 1 atv2 using a centralized mysql server on my synology nas.

in my advancedsettings.xml i do NOT have any specified <name> tag for the database so i guess that xbmc is handeling that bit nowdays

running the latest EDEN beta on both devices

Looking at my mysql databas i can see that i now have multiple database's that is xbmc related.

i seem to have:

xbmc_music
xbmc_music18
xbmc_video
xbmc_video57
xbmc_video58
Mymusic18
Myvideos57
Myvideos58

Some of these i probably have made my self as an backup at some stage, but is it correct to asume that the xbmc_music** and xbmc_video** with the highest number is the current ones, and if so is it safe to delete the others?

and is there any way to find out what database xbmc is using, i cant seem to find any information about it in the log file.

You are correct. The databases with the highest # are you current XBMC databases.

-hogfan
hogfan Wrote:You are correct. The databases with the highest # are you current XBMC databases.

-hogfan

Problem was that i removed the database's called myvideos** and mymusic** (backing up first) and then all was gone, my databases is'nt called xbmc_video anymore but myvideo**.
Offcource the backup dident work to restore and all data was lost :-(
Rescraping everything and fixing all to my likeings took a whole day, to bad all the "watched" state of movies and episodes is gone.

wish there was a funktion to "tag" or archive movies and episodes so the watched state would appear when rescraping all the material.
You can still restore your backup as the original databases then drop the new databases and upgrade. It will upgrade the information in the old databases to the new databases.

Also, a simple library export in XBMC will save you from situations like this. While not a perfect solution, it WILL save things such as your watched status. Also, XBMC DOES provide a tag ( <watched> and <playcount> ), you just have to go to some effort to use them. XBMC will use them automatically when you export/import the library, however it does not modify original NFO's. If you are forced to scrape from scratch, you will need to add these tags to your original NFO files. You can learn about these tags in the wiki here and here.

All the same, I too wish XBMC were a bit more flexible and provided us with more options to preserve our database without a assuming that we are always importing from an exported library or that we do not care about things such as the date added.
I've recently tried to implement MySQL and path substitution.

Things seem to be working pretty good, but I had a question.

Should I be able to change the thumbnail?

I have MySQL on an old laptop which is also my media server. I can update the library and see changes via my ATV2, but I cannot change the thumbnails. In fact, I cannot even see previews of thumbnails.

Am I doing something wrong?
HobieWanKenobi Wrote:I've recently tried to implement MySQL and path substitution.

Things seem to be working pretty good, but I had a question.

Should I be able to change the thumbnail?

I have MySQL on an old laptop which is also my media server. I can update the library and see changes via my ATV2, but I cannot change the thumbnails. In fact, I cannot even see previews of thumbnails.

Am I doing something wrong?

do you have write access to the file share used for thumbnails?
Ned Scott Wrote:do you have write access to the file share used for thumbnails?

I'm not sure. I'll have to check when I get home. I do remember checking the box for "other people can modify my files." Is that enough, or do I have to go in and grant full access?

I'm running WinXP on the system in question. I do suspect that something is wrong with my privileges, though, because I could see favourites.xml via path substitution, but cannot modify it via my ATV.
It was, in fact, my fault. I didn't have both checkboxes checked. I only had them both on the thumbnails folder.

Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advancedsettings.xml Path substitution question......1