Need help running python script from XBMC.
Lightbulb 
I have obtained a python script that can help me see the status of my home temperature.

Problem is that I have no clue how to run it or install it from XBMC.

Author of the script is untracable for me so if anyone is willing to help me I would appreciate it.

D.
XBMC has a RunScript function (see http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=List_of_Built_In_Functions) that you can map to a keypress. That would allow you to run the script by pressing a key, or with a little more effort you could turn it into an add-on.

Presumably you want the script to interact with XBMC in some way e.g. display a popup window with the temperatures. If so you need to use the Python imports that XBMC provides. These are documented at http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/.

JR
Thank tou for your quick reply jhsrennie.

For me this whole folder with a script is just too perplexing.
Apparently it opens a window. Among files i see several py scripts same as some image files (icons and some buttons i suppose).

I will upload it all as ZIPped file if you can help me and take a look?

D.
Btw, someone was running this on his XBMC i just have no chance of contacting this person.
I'm happy to have a look at the script, though it will be difficult for me to test it without whatever kit you're using to measure the temperature.

JR
Wink 
jhsrennie,

thank you very much.

I could easily (re)configure this script to connect with server and automation processor running actuators for the temperature (actually it also controls blinds, canopy, lights, vent system, reads light amount, temperature and humidity, all per room, etc..)
... but I cannot get it to run with XBMC. I'm not even sure what to expect and how it is supposed to diplay within XBMC.

Here is the download link:
DOWNLOAD
I think it's a plugin for XBMC v9.x and earlier. I did a quick hack to convert it into an addon suitable for Eden, but it keeps throwing errors because of things that have changed since v9.x.

I don't think it would be too hard to get it working in Eden, but I'm reluctant to put a lot of time into it given that I don't have the hardware to test it. If you can find an enthusiastic hacker (nephews are often good at this :-) who's willing to do the work at your house I'm willing to offer advice on porting it to Eden.

Later: OK, I couldn't resist playing with the script and I've got it working on Eden beta 1 and v10.1. If you want a play with it I'll pop it on my server for you to grab a copy. I have to dash out now, but I can pop it on my server tomorrow morning (GMT).

JR
Wink 
Thanks alot jhsrennie,

you remind me of myself when I try to show someone how to make basic steps (in the end I do it all myself) ;-)

If thats no hassle to you pop it onto the server and point me to it.

Its time for me to move to Eden Beta 1.

D.
Once I configure it, I can post screens if you want or give you remote access to it if you want to see how it works.
jhsrennie Wrote:Later: OK, I couldn't resist playing with the script and I've got it working on Eden beta 1 and v10.1. If you want a play with it I'll pop it on my server for you to grab a copy. I have to dash out now, but I can pop it on my server tomorrow morning (GMT).

JR

The difference between a good samaritan and a blue-blood hot-stud developer Cool Freakin' awesome of you to throw time at that jhsrennie +1
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Open http://swarchive.ratsauce.co.uk/xbmc/ and grab IntegraIQ.zip. Use the "install from zip file" (System settings, Add-ons, Install from zip file) option to install it. Once installed you'll find it under the Programs heading.

On my machine it starts and opens a "Loading directory" dialog, and this eventually times out presumably because it can't find the hardware. It might be an idea to go into the Add-on settings before you open it. I had a quick look at the settings but found myself baffled :-)

JR
With default configuration im getting a popup saying
Error: script failed: plugin.program.integraiq

Its same for Eden beta 1 and last verion of Dharma both running under WinVista.

While I can open basic configuration through XBMC itself I cannot reach "Loading directory" dialog you mentioned in your previous post. ?

Can you see what kind of connection or server app is the script looking for?

I have several server apps that can be called locally and remotely.
Im using one of them for my tablet/phone remote.
There are three possibilities or two types of "servers" that pose as interconnection between automation hardware.

One is python script called cybro_scgi_server.py
This script opens a connection to automation hardware and accepts commands and returns feedback as XML strings. Does this addon expect to get this type of input?

Second one is SCADA application for windows. Its an .exe file and Im not sure it can accept variable inputs from other apps or give out outputs.

Third option would be that addon acts as server directly to hardware.

When you reach "Loading directory" dialog (which I cannot reach myself) can you see what this addon is looking for? Is it looking for another python script? Can it parse XML on its own?
If it cannot parse XML on its own that would mean it connects directly to the hardware. In my opinion it is very likely that is the case since addon configuration requires you to enter ID of the automation processor manually.

I can also understand that this might be too much of a hassle for you.

Ty

D.
If you enable debug logging then try and use the add-on the log will show what the Python error is. The way I tested the add-on was to run XBMC in a window (press \), run the add-on and as soon as I got an error press Windows-R and type:

notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

and you'll find the error at the end of the log. If you pop the log on pastebin.com I'll take a look, but there's probably little I can do.

JR
thanks alot. Will do it today.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help running python script from XBMC.1