XBMC crash vs Samba
Hi,

I'm running beta2 on an ATV2.

I was running an old IOS version with an old nightlybuild without problem.

I decided to upgrade my ATV2 to 4.4.3 and beta 2. Since then I have a problem.

My XBMC was crashing at random interval (that is was I thought at first). After several days, I noticed the crash happen only when my XBMC is idle for a while (like 5 minutes).

I'm using smb shares and my NAS is running Openfiler. My ATV2 and NAS are on separate subnets.

I can reproduce the problem everytime :

Start Xbmc
wait until samba is idle by looking in xbmc.log :
"Samba is idle. Closing the remaining connections"
Browse a folder, start a movie, anything that calls Samba
Crash to ATV menu.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the xbmc.log after "Samba is idle. Closing the remaining connections" so I never see a reason.

Is this a known problem ? Is there a way to not idle samba ??

One of my friend has an ATV2 too but he doesn't have the problem. The differences are that he's using a win7 shares, running IOS 4.4.4 and he's on the same subnet.

Thank you
Do your hdds spindown on your nas maybe? Beside that you should post the full log (with debug logging turned on) and the crashreporter file (first link in my signature)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz, I'll take a look at all this later today and post everything

thanks !
so here it goes :

xbmc.log : http://pastebin.com/EWAniqSi

syslog : http://pastebin.com/2YaQZzAa

crashreporter : http://pastebin.com/tPtnAZ9M

for the hdd spindown I don't think it's the problem before I can reproduce the problem as much as I want with couple of minutes interval.

I don't think my HDD spindown every 2-3 minutes
I also have the same problem. I have upgraded xbmc from nitoTV.

First time i start atv and goes into xbmc, it crash back to atv main screen. After that I can choose xbmc again and it works normally.

Checked and I run XBMC 11.0-Beta2 Git:20120120-f76c547 Compiled : Jan 20 2012. Weird, did the upgrade on 3 ATV for a week ago. They all crash.
hovnarr Wrote:I also have the same problem. I have upgraded xbmc from nitoTV.

First time i start atv and goes into xbmc, it crash back to atv main screen. After that I can choose xbmc again and it works normally.

Checked and I run the build from october 24. Weird, did the upgrade on 3 ATV for a week ago. They all crash.

humm I don't think this is the same problem. Mine does't always crash on first start. It can crash anytime when it's idle for several minutes (when samba goes idle)
8 libsmbclient.dylib 0x01c52dbe 0x1c2d000 + 155070
9 libsmbclient.dylib.0 0x047d2956 0x47d0000 + 10582

We have covered this before, xbmc and atv-flash's media player are incompatible. ^^ that's the signature. libsmbclient.dylib.0 is ours, libsmbclient.dylib is theirs and the symbols table is gets mangled.
Wow !

just uninstalled media player and still no crash !

Thanks davilla ! you're the man.

now my ATV2 rocks again !
Dentifrice Wrote:Wow !

just uninstalled media player and still no crash !

Thanks davilla ! you're the man.

now my ATV2 rocks again !

Eh what media player? *confused*
Atv flash
Ok, thanks. I dont have it.
Atv flash media player was causing XBMC to crash for me. So glad I found this thread!
I was having this exact same problem across three different ATV2 that I owend. This fixed my problem ! thanks guys !

for some people that are a tad bit lost on how to remove media player, see below

install nitoTV if you haven't already done so.

go to manage in nitoTV and find media player, Once you select it you should have 3 options, Install, remove, more.
click on more and select APT autoremove. (selecting APT Autoremove should remove the dependencies that are causing the crash such as "libsmbclient.dylib"

After this is done see if your problem went away. (this should be the fix)

if the problem still exist and you used firecore to mod go back to nitoTV and click on manage again.
See if you can find something in the list to this effect
com.firecore.libsmbclient.dylib............ something to that effect or find a package that starts with libsmbclient.dylib.
if you can find it select to have it removed.

This should fix the problem.

I hope this helps, good luck
Thumbs Up 
Hi,

it seems that last aTV Flash (black) release fixed this :

From aTV Flash (black) 2.0.1 release notes : "Resolved conflicts with XBMC related to SMB"

Everything works fine for me sinc the update.

Anyone to confirm?

Thanks.
Do i have to hook the apple-TV up to the computer to run the firecore update ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crash vs Samba1