Stereo to all 5.1 Speakers
On this page:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Feature...ats/Codecs

of the wiki, under both Features available for playback (both the video and audio sections) it says:

Option to output mono or stereo to all speakers (for 5.1 surround speakers).

I need to activate this feature, for both video and music playback, but can't find the feature to switch it on - does anyone know where to look?
Forgot to mention, I'm using Eden beta 2.
AUdio settings - Output to All Speakers.

Or, something like that, I only ever use it on the rare TV ep that gives audio issues, and get to it from the pop-up menu while it's playing.
Thanks - but where?

I'm not seeing it under Video settings, or Audio settings, or System settings/Audio.

I thought I also remembered seeing some function that allowed you to balanced output level for front and rear speakers etc, but can't see that anywhere now either. Think I'm losing it...
As a purist, I prefer my source to send the audio untouched to my receiver which does a much better job of processing the audio. Though you can do this in XBMC, you should be able to select "All Channel Stereo" on your receiver.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to do this? All channel stereo for video content sounds awful. (Except maybe if it's music videos and it's for background noise.) Instead, I would recommend just sending it to your receiver in it's native format and allowing it to do it's job from there. For example, let's say you have a movie or TV show that is in stereo natively. Sending that stereo signal to the receiver and choosing Dolby PLIIx Movie is going to sound 100 times better than all channel stereo.

Not trying to troll, just trying to be helpful in pointing out other options that could give you better results. Wink
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Techlife - thanks, but I don't have a receiver. I have 6 channels of analogue output straight into my sub, which feeds the satellites. The satellites are quite small, and the left/right are not so near the sofa which is where people tend to sit to watch/listen to stuff.

Personally, I find that mirroring the stereo output to the rear speakers gives a more uniform volume for wherever you are in the room (at least in my room).

As you can probably tell, I'm not such a purist as you! I am interested in why you think a setup such as this would sound that bad. Maybe it depends on the quality of speakers you have etc to be able to hear the difference.

Is it phasing or something you are concerned with (ie the actual sound from several sets of speakers reaching the ears at slightly different times)? I would have thought audio from fewer speakers reflecting off the walls would give you some of this anyway, and actually if I have my four speakers turned down (because I'm using twice as many speakers as you) I would probably get less actual reflection. Having said that, do you have all your walls sound-dampened, or something? Or is it just that your receiver (in the configuration you mention) is doing something very fancy with the stereo signal?

Aware I'm probably sounding like a philistine here (at least to your ears!) but I am generally of the opinion that the music is "heard" in the mind anyway!
This setting was removed for music after the move from the Xbox only builds, can't remember the reason, it's now only available when a video is playing. If wanted for video bring up OSD menu then go to Audio Settings.
It will be added back in with the audio updates coming after the Eden rollout.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
internicht Wrote:Techlife - thanks, but I don't have a receiver.
Didn't realize that. Sorry.
Quote:Personally, I find that mirroring the stereo output to the rear speakers gives a more uniform volume for wherever you are in the room (at least in my room).
It will. I use it frequently for music when I am cleaning or otherwise moving about.
Quote:I am interested in why you think a setup such as this would sound that bad.
For movies and TV, it comes back the basic principals of theater acoustics. Lets take a typical 5.1 setup and play a regular Dolby D movie on it. We have the speakers positioned center, front right, front left, rear right, rear left. The 5.1 indicates that there are 6 discrete channels of audio that need to be reproduced - one for each of the above speakers - to experience the movie the way it was intended. No one speaker is going to receive the same signal as the other. The effect that creates is the beauty of theater. What happens in the center of the screen comes exclusively from the center speaker. If it happens on the left, you hear it on the left, if it happens on the right you hear it on the right. Most importantly for the cool factor is when something happens behind you, or when a chopper flies over you from behind, that mix and fading from rear to front creates the illusion that a chopper really just flew over you. When you play all the same signal through all of the speakers at the same time, though the room may be filled with sound, the magic is gone.
Quote:is it just that your receiver (in the configuration you mention) is doing something very fancy with the stereo signal?
In the instance I was speaking of above with Dolby ProLogic IIx, the receiver is taking that stereo signal and attempting to create that theater effect. So if I'm watching a TV show, when someone speaks in the center of the screen, I hear it from the center channel instead of it feeling like they are yelling at me from all directions. This obviously doesn't sound as good as if the source had 6 or more discrete channels, but it does a pretty good job.

Better example: I am watching an episode of House right now that is a crappy rip in only stereo. House is talking to someone in the center of the screen and that's where I hear his voice. There is a thunderstorm going on outside and the windows are behind the person he is talking to - essentially, behind me. The sound of the rain and thunder are subtly heard from the rear speakers making it feel almost as if I am in the room. If I had it in all channel stereo, I would hear everything everywhere and there is no magic in the audio which I feel is the MOST important part of the movie experience.
Quote:Is it phasing or something you are concerned with (ie the actual sound from several sets of speakers reaching the ears at slightly different times)? I would have thought audio from fewer speakers reflecting off the walls would give you some of this anyway, and actually if I have my four speakers turned down (because I'm using twice as many speakers as you) I would probably get less actual reflection. Having said that, do you have all your walls sound-dampened, or something?
I am running a decent upper mid-end 6.1 system and my walls are not sound-proofed as this is currently in my living room. When I finally get the ambition to finish the basement a build a dedicated theater down there, that will be a different story. The phasing and timing is taken care of in the receiver (mostly) by setting the speaker distances and equalizing the volume level from each speaker from the main listening position. That is further enhanced by the Audyssey+ software built in to the receiver.
Quote:Aware I'm probably sounding like a philistine here but I am generally of the opinion that the music is "heard" in the mind anyway!
And I agree. However, I also feel that music and theater audio should be an experience. In addition to home theaters, I also deal with high-end 2-channel audio. In the proper environment, with the proper equipment, I can make a two channel recording sound like 7.1. The depth that is actually contained in a regular old CD is mind-blowing. It can completely engulf your soul in a way you never though possible. When a system is not properly configured, all of that is lost and that to me is a real tragedy.

Being that I have always had a receiver, I haven't played with it at all, but AFAIK, it is more than possible to do many of the same things that a receiver can with just your sound card alone. You should be able to decode the DD/DTS soundtracks and send each of those discrete signals to the appropriate speakers and apply processing like PLIIx to stereo sources.

I know we have gotten way off track here and I had no intention of hijacking your thread. Again, I just wanted to explore what you were trying to do and present other options, that you may find create a more pleasurable experience, using the gear you have. =)
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Great write-up TechLife - reputation +1
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thanks D
Techlife - definitely agree with you on the stuff that is already discrete surround channels. I wasn't suggesting doing away with any of that, just mirroring stereo sources to the rears speakers.

Maybe I'll try out a demo of the Dolby scheme you mention if I can - hard to evaluate the difference without a listen! Although there is a limit to how far I would go as a non-purist - especially as most of the time, my system is being used by my daughter to watch Horrible Histories anyway.

Also agree that we ought to be able to do something similar in software, but it seems to be much harder in XBMC than anything Directshow-based, as you can't really fiddle with the filters etc - unless you (or anyone else) know of anything driver-level/renderer-level?
I was reading elsewhere in a thread about setting XBMC for WASAPI output, and for a while I thought that was the problem, until DDDamian kindly posted that this feature would be restored in the full Eden release.

But now I am wondering if this setting in XBMC (the audio output where you can select WASAPI/Directsound etc) is actually broken/not doing anything.

Other apps (WMP etc) play stereo through my rear speakers with speaker fill switched on under the Realtek software. Can XBMC really be outputting to the ordinary Directsound drivers if it is not doing the same? Or is it deliberately outputting silence for the rear speakers?
internicht Wrote:I was reading elsewhere in a thread about setting XBMC for WASAPI output, and for a while I thought that was the problem, until DDDamian kindly posted that this feature would be restored in the full Eden release.

But now I am wondering if this setting in XBMC (the audio output where you can select WASAPI/Directsound etc) is actually broken/not doing anything.

Other apps (WMP etc) play stereo through my rear speakers with speaker fill switched on under the Realtek software. Can XBMC really be outputting to the ordinary Directsound drivers if it is not doing the same? Or is it deliberately outputting silence for the rear speakers?

Hi Internicht - just to clarify - that's post-Eden with the AE branch that will restore that feature.

You're selection of DirectSound or Wasapi is important: if you select Wasapi I doubt any RealTek selections will output stereo to all channels. Wasapi bypasses such things as a rule. DirectSound does allow for use of the Windows mixer, and it's likely that this is the only way the RealTek driver could enable that feature.
Any word on if the AE branch enhancements will output support proper 2.1 stereo? Currently when playing stereo sources over HDMI nothing is sent to the LFE channel. For stereo sources it would be nice if both channels were mixed into the subwoofer channel.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereo to all 5.1 Speakers0