[LIVE] Cheapest hardware for XBMC Live
Hello All,

I would like some suggestions for the most cost effective hardware to run XBMC on.

I have been using XBMC since 2004 ( then called XBMP ) on an original xbox and I love it it just works and is very easy for my wife to use.

I have just found out that xvid / avi are being phased out for tv show releases and because the old xbox is not powerful enough to play them I need a replacement.

I use linux day to day so keen to use XBMC Live or now I see it is called XBMCbuntu.

I did consider a boxee box but I like having the library options and thumb nails etc cached on the local hard drive and really want to stick with XBMC.

my main requirements are

HDMI out for video / audio to my Yamaha RX-V1065
1080p capable not interested in 3D

thanks in advance.
I would say go for the ATV2 as for $100 you could get a nice small device to run XBMC on. It has hdmi output for video/audio as well as optical out for audio as well if required.

However since 1080p is a requirement, I would recommend maybe waiting for the ATV3? Rumor is that it may be announced in the next week or two and should support 1080p. Hopefully the jailbreak/XBMC community jumps on it.

Another option is trying to get in on a raspberrypi.com device. It has been show to run xbmc. However it sold out very fast when it was first released. But for $35 you can't really go wrong. Smile

Everything I looked at took me into the $200+ range. ATV2 has been my best option and I was happy with the 720p playback.
I should point out that XBMC has become much less "install and use" than it was in the xbox days. If you don't like fiddling with your setup (and reading these forums Big Grin ), then Boxee Box really might be a better option.
Since you are very price sensitive, I'd suggest doing a lot of research before purchase - most people don't get their home theater to a satisfactory level until about their 3rd try. I'm on about my 5th...
teaguecl Wrote:I should point out that XBMC has become much less "install and use" than it was in the xbox days. If you don't like fiddling with your setup (and reading these forums Big Grin ), then Boxee Box really might be a better option.

I don't know about that, Live, first try, followed a guide, all worked. Generally agreed though, some fiddling should be expected, but payoff is good Smile
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Orclas Wrote:I don't know about that, Live, first try, followed a guide, all worked. Generally agreed though, some fiddling should be expected, but payoff is good Smile

The question is how long you've had your first HTPC.. I've gone through Popcorn Hour, then built an HTPC, thought it was too big so I bought a Boxee Box and now I'm waiting for the parts to my new HTPC.

Mind you I probably had each for a year or so before switching.
nooryani84 Wrote:The question is how long you've had your first HTPC.. I've gone through Popcorn Hour, then built an HTPC, thought it was too big so I bought a Boxee Box and now I'm waiting for the parts to my new HTPC.

Mind you I probably had each for a year or so before switching.

I've had the same problem. I could never find something that was perfect (for the whole family) so I put together my HTPC. I've gone through different setups including a Sony Network Media Player (1st gen), busted laptop, PS3 + PS3 Media Server, before my current HTPC which I've rebuilt twice.

Current iteration:
Silverstone ML03B Case
MSI H67MA-E45
Intel Celeron G530
MSI GT 210 512MB
640GB Western Digital Green (Internal)
2TB USB 3.0 Seagate GoFlex Desk (External)
4GB RAM
32GB SSD (Windows 8)
80GB 2.5" HDD (Windows 7)
Hauppauge WinTV2250
Logitech Harmony 300i
Corsair CX430

Bytec 5.25" Adapter (for slim ODD + 2.5" drives)
Sunbeam Fan Speed Controller
(3) 80mm Zalman Fans
sirhcjw Wrote:Hello All,

I would like some suggestions for the most cost effective hardware to run XBMC on.

I have been using XBMC since 2004 ( then called XBMP ) on an original xbox and I love it it just works and is very easy for my wife to use.

I have just found out that xvid / avi are being phased out for tv show releases and because the old xbox is not powerful enough to play them I need a replacement.

I use linux day to day so keen to use XBMC Live or now I see it is called XBMCbuntu.

I did consider a boxee box but I like having the library options and thumb nails etc cached on the local hard drive and really want to stick with XBMC.

my main requirements are

HDMI out for video / audio to my Yamaha RX-V1065
1080p capable not interested in 3D

thanks in advance.

How about this one of the Foxxconn barebone systems on Newegg ? There is a 15% promo code for some of them making them oretty cheap at the moment.

(1) This is sold out now but it was on sale for $95 yesterday
Foxconn SFF R20-A1 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A45 (Hudson D1) AMD Radeon HD6310 1 x HDMI Barebone
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856119058

(2) The Sandy Bridge version is still available though for $99 minus %15 with promo code + shipping (free if you have shoprunner):
Foxconn SFF RM1-H2 Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium (LGA1155) Intel Socket H2(LGA1155) Intel H61 1 x HDMI Barebone
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856119062

+ USB flash drive for XBMC
+ RAM ($15)
+ basic 1155 CPU (celeron or pentium) $50
= xbmc box for about $150.
You could bring this down to a little more than $100 if you already have RAM etc. and Microcenter (if you are lucky enough to have one nearby) sells the Intel Celeron for $35 and Pentium for $50.

(3) Full list of foxconn barebone systems:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCate...ne-Systems
dunksandblazers Wrote:I've had the same problem. I could never find something that was perfect (for the whole family) so I put together my HTPC. I've gone through different setups including a Sony Network Media Player (1st gen), busted laptop, PS3 + PS3 Media Server, before my current HTPC which I've rebuilt twice.

Current iteration:
Silverstone ML03B Case
MSI H67MA-E45
Intel Celeron G530
MSI GT 210 512MB
640GB Western Digital Green (Internal)
2TB USB 3.0 Seagate GoFlex Desk (External)
4GB RAM
32GB SSD (Windows 8)
80GB 2.5" HDD (Windows 7)
Hauppauge WinTV2250
Logitech Harmony 300i
Corsair CX430

Bytec 5.25" Adapter (for slim ODD + 2.5" drives)
Sunbeam Fan Speed Controller
(3) 80mm Zalman Fans

Very nice set-up Smile I can tell you take pride in your build. Have you tried OpenElec?

I'm aiming for a build that completely transforms my HTPC into a seamless media center. I'm really looking forward to getting all the parts delivered and testing out the USB-CEC adapter. You seen how it works? Check the video i posted a few posts up.
you could try this with OpenElec http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856173027

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Zbox-Nano-Sff-Fusi...B005PAJU7E
I just got through setting up mine, a Level 6 grade machine. If you own a copy of Windows 7 and a 2.5" hard drive, you can have a full fledged HTPC with tons of other uses to boot.

Foxconn NT-A3500 Barebones Nettop $180

Corsair 4Gb DDR3 memory $21

then simply put my 250Gb 2.5" hard drive in it and loaded Windows 7 x64 Ult and it does everything. They say it won't do 3D and limited gaming, of which I do neither outside of Cut the Rope, Angry Birds, etc....which it does easily.

The nice thing is this guy is as small or smaller than most wireless routers today. It comes with a VESA bracket and screws that allows you to mount it squarely to the back of the TV so it is completely out of sight and silent. To me the $50 premium price over the other Foxconn E-350 systems that are like small pc's was worth it. I don't need a optical disc drive as all my media is on a NAS on the network.

I initially put Openelec on it but it has some issues that you don't get when you load Windows first and just run XBMC on top of Windows, so I reinstalled that way
Foxconn NT-A3500 E-350 Fusion Nettop - Win7x64 Ult - XBMC Eden
Thanks for the ideas so far I like the idea of the Foxconn SFF RM1-H2 but I am in Australia and it seems these are not available here yet and I am fairly sure new Egg does not ship to AU.
I would not ever run windows on this machine either xbmc live or linux & xbmc.
Another option is to dredge up an old PC and get a decent graphics card for it.

e.g., PCI nvidia 8400 for US$50 :
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-Profil...=pd_cp_e_1

this is what i did, although not with that particular card. My dredged pc happened to have optical audio out, which simplified things.

If you go linux + xbmc i suggest looking for the "xbmcbuntu" instructions. I first tried starting with a desktop install and stripping out what i didn't need. This did not work out too well, i could never fully purge pulseaudio.

I'm not an ubuntu guy but i've been doing unix and linux admin for 20 years fwiw.
What do people think of these XS35GT V2 http://au.shuttle.com/products/productsD...uctId=1488 with a 4GB stick and a second hand 2.5in SATA drive or SSD it could be a solution for under AU$300.

Has anyone tried XBMCbuntu or XBMC Live on one of these?

I found a couple of articles online but they were for version 10 and six month old or more.
First, Live = version 10. Version 11 is in beta and is transformed into XBMCbuntu. Whether you want to go for a beta version is up to you, myself I prefer waiting for releases since I'm not the OS tinkering kinda guy.

I have Live running perfectly on a XS35GTv1 which plays anything up to and including 15-20Gb 1080 BD rips without breaking a sweat (streamed ofc). As for playback only, I'd definitely also look into OpenELEC as well, it's XBMC integrated with a tailor made Linux OS (as opposite to Live which is "on top" of a stripped down non GUI Ubuntu). A lot of people wanting a simple set top style solution are very happy about it. It runs off a USB stick if you want, so you don't even need an SSD.

As for XS35GT, I must say I'm quite content. It's inaudible with an SSD/USB OS (it's impossilbe to tell it's on even at an ear distance past a few inches, holding your ear to it you may hear some faint electronics buzz) and small enough to hide away. I prefer things that are not even seen, so my own special solution was to do a simple special mount solution on the back of the TV furniture, which makes it entirely disappear. Only thing I see of it is the USB IR receiver behind one of the glass doors of the furniture, and that's pretty much only when the red diod blinks for "signal received".

In case you happen to go for XS35GT and Live, here's an excellent guide on how to do it (with some minor hands-on settings needed). Read my comment (last of them), which summarizes which parts are still needed and which are not.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
for the archives if nothing else, i found a much newer chipset nvidia card for only $10 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814500228

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Cheapest hardware for XBMC Live0