general questions
hi all, i first was introduced to xbmc through some lifehacker article i read. before that i was planning on going the apple tv route for my htpc. but, it looks like xbmc is exactly where i need to be. i'm nearing completion of my house im building and have speaker wiring to every room and am getting a multi zone reciever for my music. like i said , i was going to use apple tv and the remote app for music control but xbmc seems a better route. i'm going to do a standalone xbmc live server, but i do have some questions.

first of all,
1 . i'd like to output my video feeds to all my tvs in the house should i use a hdmi hub? it seems like the only way to do

2. i want to do emulators also, are there drivers for the xbox controllers on the live version? i'm assuming yes.

3. i have an old iphone sitting around. - will it work on the live version? also, anyone recommend the best app to use?
i also have an old samsung with android on it i could use if there's an android app better suited.

4. or do you recommend a remote? or both?

5. what about outputting to my multizone reciever and to my home theature system (they will be two separate devices) should i get a pc with 2 outputs?

6. anyone using a separate freenas server as storage? can i do this?

7. was going to use Acer AspireRevo AR3700-U3002 Nettop ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...aspirerevo ) as machine per lifehacker's recommendation - anyone suggest anything better or more efficient?

thanks in advanced for your time
(2012-03-23, 00:52)chrisb421 Wrote: hi all, i first was introduced to xbmc through some lifehacker article i read. before that i was planning on going the apple tv route for my htpc. but, it looks like xbmc is exactly where i need to be. i'm nearing completion of my house im building and have speaker wiring to every room and am getting a multi zone reciever for my music. like i said , i was going to use apple tv and the remote app for music control but xbmc seems a better route. i'm going to do a standalone xbmc live server, but i do have some questions.

first of all,
1 . i'd like to output my video feeds to all my tvs in the house should i use a hdmi hub? it seems like the only way to do
probably
2. i want to do emulators also, are there drivers for the xbox controllers on the live version? i'm assuming yes.
if it is linux supported but the drivers are not on live then chances are you can install them with terminal
3. i have an old iphone sitting around. - will it work on the live version? also, anyone recommend the best app to use?
i also have an old samsung with android on it i could use if there's an android app better suited.
I love the official XBMC remote app for android. Works awesome but I can't comment on the iOS app.
4. or do you recommend a remote? or both?
Up to you, the remote works great on WiFi and you don't need to worry about RF interference or IR line of sight
5. what about outputting to my multizone reciever and to my home theature system (they will be two separate devices) should i get a pc with 2 outputs?
Shouldn't the multizone receiver be able to output to the home theater system? If not look into video cards with two HDMI outputs or 1 HDMI plus 1 DVI with sound
6. anyone using a separate freenas server as storage? can i do this?
lots of people, set it up right and it shouldn't be an issue.
7. was going to use Acer AspireRevo AR3700-U3002 Nettop ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...aspirerevo ) as machine per lifehacker's recommendation - anyone suggest anything better or more efficient?
Never used it, but check out this thread for hardware recommendations.
thanks in advanced for your time

good advice. thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
general questions0