Win Sound Problems (still...)
Previous post here

OK - so I have splashed out and bought a Onkyo 509 AVR.

I have connected my HP Microserver running WHS equipped with a Radeon HD6450 to said receiver via HDMI. I have taken the HDMI out of the amp and into my Sammy LED TV.

Problem: In windows, with the latest AMD drivers installed, the only audio mode available to me is stereo. Surround is not available. This was previously the case and I was advised it was because my HD6450 was connected directly to the Sammy panel which was only "offering" stereo the the card. Now my AVR is offering full DD/DTS etc I would have excpected to have Surround available to me in the Control Panel/Sound option in Windows.

More importantly than the Windows issue, if I choose DTS and DD capable receiver in XBMC, I get the infamous "failed to initialize audio device" error and no sound.

Can anyone help? I'm running out of ideas and getting very frustrated.......
Make sure your audio driver is the AMD/ATI HDMI High Definition Device driver, dated 12/6/2011. If so, it should show all the passthrough formats in the audio properties window.

Hmmm another issue - not sure WHS supports WASAPI and passthrough.....I know Vista and 7 do.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
also try to download the realtek hdmi amd driver. change audio setting in windows and xbmc to hdmi and 5.1 (or whatever ur sound setup is)

fixed it for me
(2012-03-25, 21:49)nordberg Wrote: Previous post here

OK - so I have splashed out and bought a Onkyo 509 AVR.

I have connected my HP Microserver running WHS equipped with a Radeon HD6450 to said receiver via HDMI. I have taken the HDMI out of the amp and into my Sammy LED TV.
To see all audio options in W7 control panel, you need to connect your system this way- HD6450-->Onkyo 509-->Samsung LED via HDMI cables. You need to select AMD HDMI audio output in W7 control panel too.....

(2012-03-25, 21:49)nordberg Wrote: Problem: In windows, with the latest AMD drivers installed, the only audio mode available to me is stereo.
Did you installed the latest AMD 12.2 driver from here- AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver?

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
@bluray - he already said it's connected that way - said that in the first post.

I think the issue is he's running WHS, which I doubt will passthrough encoded audio. It's a server O/S, it doesn't have many of the media features of Win 7/8/Vista.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/i...57447.html
(2012-03-25, 21:49)nordberg Wrote: I have connected my HP Microserver running WHS equipped with a Radeon HD6450 to said receiver via HDMI. I have taken the HDMI out of the amp and into my Sammy LED TV.
Can anyone help? I'm running out of ideas and getting very frustrated.......
You can try this combination- AMD 12.2 driver from here AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver? + High Definition Audio Codecs....good luck!

Thanks everyone.

In answer to some of the questions... Yes, I have connected HD6450 > AVR > TV. Yes, I have the latest AMD drivers for sound and gfx.

However....I totally removed all reference to the AMD Catalyst drivers and software. Booted into MS SVGA mode, re-ran setup of the AMD software. Rebooted.....AND.......the same Sad Only 2 speakers available in WHS and the same issue with XBMC.

Checked the driver version of the AMD High Definition Device driver and it was newer than the one you suggest DDDamian. Uninstalled it and let Windows sort it self out. Bizarrely, when it installed the driver it did indeed use one dated 12/6/2011. I checked in Control Panel and, sure enough, I now have surround available. Went into XBMC, enabled DTS and DD5.1 receiver and........IT WORKS! Halle-bloody-leujah!!

Thanks to all the helpers! Big Grin
@nordberg - awesome glad to hear it. It sounds like it was using the WHS driver by MS, just a generic driver but newer than the suggested AMD/ATI one. It still shows as AMD High Definition as that is the device name. Now you've got the real AMD driver as the date indicates.

The very good news is that AMD seems to be supporting WHS properly now - as anyone with Linux and an AMD card can tell you, AMD does not spend much time on their non-mainstream drivers. To get full support on a non-mainstream Windows version is a nice change for them.
(2012-03-26, 10:23)nordberg Wrote: Thanks to all the helpers! Big Grin
That is Big Grin what we always want to see at the end.....
Big Grin Big Grin

Thanks again. Very happy.

Putting the HDMI through the AVR has cleared up the video problems I was having too!

Just need to sort my scraping issues, and I will be on my way to a perfect XBMC Big Grin Big Grin
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the same video card, and the same audio problem. I've tried the latest ATI Catalyst (12.2), generic Realtek Drivers, and the default windows drivers... None of which give me an audio option other than stereo. My configuration is Asus HD6450 > HDMI Cable > Insignia Receiver > HDMI Cable > TV...

Where did you get the 12/6/11 driver from?

EDIT: Also, I'm on Windows8.
(2012-11-09, 17:11)nperkins Wrote: Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the same video card, and the same audio problem. I've tried the latest ATI Catalyst (12.2), generic Realtek Drivers, and the default windows drivers... None of which give me an audio option other than stereo. My configuration is Asus HD6450 > HDMI Cable > Insignia Receiver > HDMI Cable > TV...

Where did you get the 12/6/11 driver from?

EDIT: Also, I'm on Windows8.
Are you trying to configure for bitstreaming? The latest ATI Catalyst is 12.10. You can follow the instructions in SETUP section in this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........
(2012-11-09, 18:02)bluray Wrote: Are you trying to configure for bitstreaming? The latest ATI Catalyst is 12.10. You can follow the instructions in SETUP section in this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........

Yes I'm trying to do Bitstreaming, but I'm not even getting as far as XBMC... My control panel doesn't show the options for anything other than stereo, the same as this thread.

From what I gather in my research, I think this may be a solution...

Download Catalyst 12.1
Download CCleaner
Uninstall ALL AMD/ATI drivers.
Delete AMD/ATI Directories
Run CCleaner

Boot into Safe Mode...
Install/run Driver Sweeper

Install Catalyst 12.1..

Does that sound about right?
What are your supported audio formats in windows control panel sound for the HDMI audio device? What is the model of your Insignia receiver?

You could also try Extron EDID Manager to see what output it gives you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound Problems (still...)0