Install from USB problem
I am trying to install XBMCbuntu from USB drive.

I am trying to make a bootable drive using Unetbootin

I downloaded the iso from here
I created a bootable drive but when I try to boot it, it just hangs on a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner.

What am I doing wrong?

PS I can't update my existing set up as I can't remember the username and password
i have the same problem. I've prepared the usb-stick with 3 different program's(ultra iso,unetbootin and lili) nothing works.
I'm going to try with a cd tomorrow because i don't have any cd in house Sad
This is ridiculous, anyone have a solution?
I beat my head against the wall and here's what I did. Unebootin doesn't work. I read the Eden Wiki,,,

Burn the ISO to a cd.

Boot the HTPC from the CD with the USB stick installed. Set your Bios to Boot from CD first, USB second.

When it asks, Install Ubuntu. If you have HD's installed, make sure you use the drop down and select your USB stick.

I checked the download updates while installing. It takes a while longer but...

On restart it'll pop the disk out and ask you to remove it and hit enter...DON'T reconfigure your BIOS, leave it as booting CD first, USB second.

I hope this helps it's what got me finally going this morning.
I used lili and it work the first time.
Case: Ahanix MCE301 Mainboard: M3N78-VM :CPU X2 4200 MHz SSD: 2x OCZ agility 30G Ram: 2G Remote: MS MCE. MSI Geforece 210 & Asrock 330 ION.
Usage of USB is - so far - pain in the ass IMHO ;-)

1. Better forget now about running XBMCbuntu from any USB drive, I have been struggling with this already many weeks and I give up - I order an SSD and I hope my problems gone.
What was wrong? - I had serious problems with installation on any USB drive, when I managed to install it - it was OK only very short, after few reboots (sometime days) everything was broken.
Regardless if it was LiLi, netbootin or installation from CD

2. "normal" current build of Ubuntu has problem with installing from USB, they - on Ubuntu forum advise to install not from USB but from CD - and it is true if you want to save your time just forget about installing from USB (I personally experienced such problems)

Today the safest way - it seems to be install from CD/DVD onto HDD.

Hopefully this problems will be corrected but now is as is.

UPDATE: I tested it with the BETA builds about 2-4 weeks ago
I am trying to install on an Acer Revo. It doesn't have a CD drive.

I will try with lili
(2012-03-27, 21:24)clubber lang Wrote: I am trying to install on an Acer Revo. It doesn't have a CD drive.

I will try with lili

I installed it on my Acer Revo 1600 this weekend using unetbootin to put the image on a 8GB flash drive. Worked without a problem. Just figured I'd throw my two cents in and say that it doesn't seem like a widespread thing.
(2012-03-27, 21:24)clubber lang Wrote: I am trying to install on an Acer Revo. It doesn't have a CD drive.

I will try with lili

use external drive (or try to struggle with USB pen ;-))

@ alexpigment - did you try to do something more with the system?
I mean install ssh or samba or update system from console? Maybe attach external USB drive?
Usually after such activities my system started crashing (but lately survived even one long week, but attaching an external USB drive was to much - and i ordered SSD;-)))
Just tried with lili, same thing. This is nuts

@alexpigment on Unetbootin, what did you select in distribution and version? And also 'space used to preserve files across reboots'?
(2012-03-27, 22:18)clubber lang Wrote: @alexpigment on Unetbootin, what did you select in distribution and version? And also 'space used to preserve files across reboots'?

I put nothing in there. I checked the "Diskimage" radiobox and then chose the ISO file that I downloaded from here: http://xbmc.org/download/ . After it was finished, I put the USB stick in my Revo, booted it up and pressed F12 to get the boot menu. I chose the USB drive and it was pretty self-explanatory from there on out. One thing that may be important is that prior to using unetbootin I did a quick format on the USB stick in Windows using the Fat32 file system.

(2012-03-27, 23:53)wiz561 Wrote: Next, I have to work on getting a USB mouse and that will be one less problem I have during installs!

I have to admit, this has been the annoying part about the Eden XBMC installs. I've had to break out the USB mouse both times during install. I'm not saying it's necessarily required, but it would have been difficult without it. Maybe it's just my TV but there were overscanning problems so not all of the buttons were full visible in the installer's GUI. I miss the XBMC live installer that looked like Windows 3.1
(2012-03-28, 04:06)wiz561 Wrote: I don't know if you got lucky, but a few of us had major issues with the installer on the release version of xbmcbuntu. We found that if you hit the tab key, it doesn't "light" up the chosen button, and mousekeys weren't able to be turned on. The devs here found that it was a problem with the ubuntu installer and not xbmc, so they won't fix it.

As I mentioned before, the installer part sucked without the keyboard. I just plugged in a USB mouse for the remainder of the installation, and didn't have any real problems. I remember the hard drive selection screen being a little wonky, but it did work after a few clicks.
Installing from USB has always sucked for Ubuntu ( and other distros as well). You would think these issues would have been ironed out several years ago when a lot of PCs (especially Netbooks & NetTops) started shipping without an optical drive.

-hogfan
@alexpigment That is exactly what I did, to the letter but it won't work. Might have to see if I can get hold of a USB DVD drive

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install from USB problem0