Install from USB problem
If you use linux simpy use the following command;
dd if=archlinux.iso of=/dev/sd[x]

After that you should be able to boot from the stick.
Search google for details on the use of the command.

If this doesn't work try tinkering with your BIOS settings. I got it to work on a Zotac mini-ITX ION board.

If you use Windows; good luck! Wink
I gave up finally on the USB stick route...i did have it working, moderately from a USB stick, but finally ordered an SSD (arrives tomorrow) and installed it temporarily to my 2TB just so I could play with the new settings etc.

Since this is a new build, I also was having issues with my USB wireless network adapter (cheap Encore ENUWI-2XN45) [SOLVED} and just got my sound working (MSI GT430)

I agree, EDEN sux booting from an USB. On a positive note, the installer does do a fine job of partitioning the drive.
(2012-03-28, 22:52)atbrandt Wrote: If you use linux simpy use the following command;
dd if=archlinux.iso of=/dev/sd[x]

After that you should be able to boot from the stick.
Search google for details on the use of the command.

If this doesn't work try tinkering with your BIOS settings. I got it to work on a Zotac mini-ITX ION board.

If you use Windows; good luck! Wink

I built a Dharma on a Zotac mini-ITX ion board and it booted right away with a USB stick. Setup was a breeze...

My 2nd build is an Eden build running an i3...talk about headaches. I was thinking my MB just doesn't like booting from a USB cuz my Ubuntu 11.10 stick wont boot either.
@clubber lang - did you try with ONLY one usb stick inserted?
I mean with this to "install" from, not to "install to"
If you can boot it means your PC try to booot from wrong usb slot.
I had such situation when I put additionally my external drive, no boot and blinking cursor on top-left.
I'm having the same issue over and over again..

Install FROM usb stick onto SSD -> blinking cursor
Install FROM usb stick onto another usb stick -> blinking cursor

Any idea how to resolve this?
Have you tried just booting up your system with the bootable USB stick into "Live" ("Try") mode instead of "Install" mode? Just trying to determine if your USB stick is recognized as a bootable device. Have you also checked your BIOS settings to ensure USB is first boot device?
Yes, the try mode is working perfect.
The SSD was working perfect before (10.**), and because the live (try) worked out of the box I wanted to install it... with no success.
Thanks for your response.

Both usb and ssd are bootable

Just to be clear: The installation goes OK, but when I reboot after the install.. I get the blinking cursor..
Hmm... until you added the clarification that you were able to install successfully but the problem occurred on reboot, I thought maybe there was an issue with the installer program that was preventing you from even installing the program. If it had been an installer issue, I was going to suggest that you boot into the "Try Ubuntu" option, exit XBMC and, on the log-in page, switch to an XBMCbuntu desktop session, and select the installer from the desktop icon. That was the workaround I used on a version of Lubuntu which had an installer problem. However, since you were able to complete the installation, I don't think this procedure is applicable in your case.
(2012-08-01, 08:50)artrafael Wrote: Hmm... until you added the clarification that you were able to install successfully but the problem occurred on reboot, I thought maybe there was an issue with the installer program that was preventing you from even installing the program. If it had been an installer issue, I was going to suggest that you boot into the "..

Yes indeed, but it seems to be a grub issue? I clearly selected the correct drive as boot partition... still nothing.
I already installed grub2 again and updated the config from the live version, without result.. Boot was hanging at the automounter..

Very strange that the SSD and the USB stick have the same issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install from USB problem0