Linux Changing network settings in XBMCbuntu

Hi all,

This is not 100% on topic, but I am pretty sure with XBMCbuntu use rising, this will be useful to others.

After the XBMCbuntu install, I have got a new USB wireless card and want to use it in my setup.
It is recognized and the proper module loads, but I cannot figure out a way to configure IP settings, add wireless shared key, select SSID, etc

There is no Ubuntu GUI tools any more, and I am very lost in the methods of how Ubuntu handles networking setup(my experience is with RedHat).

I know how to enable and configure the card through iwconfig and ifconfig, but don't know how to make it survive across reboots.

Any help would be appreciated.
You need to make those changes in Network Manager, which is available on the ubuntu desktop. From the xbmc main window select exit instead of poweroff. This will close the xbmc window and get you to the ubuntu desktop. From there you can get to Network manager. If you edit the network configuration files in /etc, NM will just overwrite them on the next boot.

(2012-04-09, 00:51)godfreydanials Wrote: You need to make those changes in Network Manager, which is available on the ubuntu desktop. From the xbmc main window select exit instead of poweroff. This will close the xbmc window and get you to the ubuntu desktop. From there you can get to Network manager. If you edit the network configuration files in /etc, NM will just overwrite them on the next boot.

The only thing I have to add is to select the XBMCbuntu option on the drop down list, on the user login screen.
I was getting dropped into the XBMC again and again until I switched it.

Thanks,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Changing network settings in XBMCbuntu0