RFP for an off-the-shelf HTPC (Many have asked, but mine has a twist)
I have been going through these forums for months, trying to source the stuff for a custom build from local stores, but sadly where I am, nothing seems to be available.

I have a friend visiting the US and I was hoping to be able to buy the hardware off the net, and ship it to his hotel. I have gone through eskro's list and I am a simple Group 2-er:
I watch my SD movies and tv shows. I might have a couple of 720p mkv movies.
I will expect the hardware to work with the changing trends, at least for 2 years and I guess I could find myself having a couple of 1080p movies too. It should also have enough juice to handle win7, the torrent client, and IIS.

Since I am very picky, even a single flicker or delay will ruin my day and my feelings towards the hardware, so if you think of a device which over-performs, i would probably be happier.

These are the must haves:
1) Small, really small, at most as big as a linksys router. I can't expect the friend to carry something huge/heavy for me.
2) It should have a remote (or at least an IR receiver for a harmony remote).
3) I should be able to turn it ON with the remote (we have way too many power cuts a-day here, and if you are wondering, YES, i am in middle of the jungle!)
4) It should look good, and preferably fully black as it will be exposed to eyes
5) Wireless n300 as least, if n450 it would be perfect
6) Gigabit LAN
7) Did i say powerful? I have XBMC running off an old eeepc where when i navigate, i hear the sound, then the cursor moves and after a second or two the fanart changes. I hate that!
8) I presume HDMI is the standard, but lemmi mention that i will not use anything else
9) Silent, which i guess many are
10) It should be complete with HDD and RAM and no OS. (i will probably not find the components here anyways)

Additional info:
1) If it has a Blu-ray player, it would be great, but otherwise I can always hook my laptop to the tv
2) I will never ever use it for 3D
3) The lesser glowing lights, the better

*** I forgot to mention that while I am open-ended on the budget, i wouldn't want to waste money either.

I hope it is not too much to ask.
definitely too much lol

best off-the-shelf HTPC is the ZOTAC ZBOX ID82.

Are you asking for an off-the-shelf build or a proposal for someone to build you a custom HTPC?
@eskro, 10x, i did read a couple of entries about it and the fact the i3 would stand out among the lot, but i couldn't find a seller on the net. Do you know anyone selling it?

@dougie, Asking someone to build it would be way too much to ask Smile I am looking only for devices ppl have used, heard or read about, that can be bought online.
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=MB...65afebc811
@eskro, 10x a ton.

Is ID82 my only option? Is there anything else I could be looking at?

Also, not to be pain in the back, but is HD3000 enough?

BTW, if anyone is interested, use the coupon "HOMERUN", for $15 off, on eskro's link from the above post.
Just placed the order, with tax of $35+ and shipping of $20, and -$15 of coupon, it came to $470 change.
(2012-04-20, 22:47)AMoo-Miki Wrote: @dougie, Asking someone to build it would be way too much to ask Smile I am looking only for devices ppl have used, heard or read about, that can be bought online.

Ok, when I saw "RFP" I was thinking you were requesting a custom builder make you something according to your requirement so I was going to propose one Smile.
(2012-04-20, 23:37)AMoo-Miki Wrote: Just placed the order, with tax of $35+ and shipping of $20, and -$15 of coupon, it came to $470 change.

Congratz AMoo-Miki!!
IM sure you'll enjoy it very much!
its truly the best already build HTPC one can get!

PLease keep us up2date on how powerful it is
and heck, make us a tiny video for us all to admire!

Smile
Well sadly i got an email from SuperBiiz saying it was out of stock until end of May.

@Dougie: I am open to suggestions [now]
@eskro: My joy was tarnished by their email. Do you know any other site that manufactures them?
Bummer AMoo-Miki it's hard to find!

http://www.provantage.com/zotac-zbox-id8...OTC0C7.htm
I got on to a client's server to use Google's shopping search. All the sites are out of stock!
http://www.provantage.com/zotac-zbox-id8...OTC0C8.htm
Bad news for me is that Provantage doesn't have it either. It is on Special Order which means they will place the order to the manufacturer after i place an order with them. They will get it end of May too Sad(
wow, time to get your hands on an A6-PACK bro!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RFP for an off-the-shelf HTPC (Many have asked, but mine has a twist)0