HDMI Audio not working - menu sounds are OK
Hi all,

Here's what I have:
Ubuntu 11.10
XBMC 11.0
i686 (fairly old AMD 939 chip on an nVidia A8N32-SLI motherboard)
ATI Radeon HD 4300
HDMI > A/V Receiver > TV

Forgive me, I am very much a novice when it comes to Linux. Here goes.

I installed the OS last night and installed XBMC following the instructions here. I also downloaded and installed my video card driver and ran all the OS updates. At first I wasn't getting any sound in XBMC but then I discovered that my Output under Sound Settings was muted. Now I can hear the left/right speaker test and I have the clicking sound in the XBMC menus when I move around.

When I play a video file with Dolby Digital, XMBC crashes. When I play a video file with plain stereo or a standard 16/44.1 MP3/FLAC, XBMC "plays" the file but says "Cannot initialize audio device."

I poked around a bit on the forums here and learned a few things. My aplay -l shows the HDMI device like so:

card 3: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I tried entering "plughw:3,3" as a custom device in both the audio output and the passthrough output section but that doesn't work. If I run a "speaker-test -D plughw:3,3 -c6" command, I get sound out of the front left and right speakers only.

Every piece of sound that I have managed to get has shown up on my receiver as PCM. So, seems to me that I don't have something set up to pass digital audio and/or a problem with multichannel.

Any help would be appreciated, and please remember I'm a total Linux noob Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio not working - menu sounds are OK0