HOW-TO play Nero AVC (H.264) in AVI
how to enable nero avc (h264) playback on xmbc

1)download mplayer v1.0pre7 source

2)download the xbmc mplayer source (see howto recompile mplayer for xbox)
3)delete the libavcodec and libavformat directories
4)copy libavcodec and libavformat directories from the mplayer 1.0pre7 source
5)recompile mplayer

keep in mind the xbox isn't very powerful and as such has a hard time playing full resolution h264. but at lower resolution i have had no problem.
thanks for the information... i have never compiled the xbmc myself, but this is worth learning how to do it.

h264 is awesome.

does standard dvd 720x480 resolution look ok on the xbox?

thanks...

:bowdown:
it was the first time for me too. just compiling mplayer was pretty easy and doesn't require .net or the xbox sdk.

i've been trying out different options and right now i'm leaning towards the standard profile with cabac and deblocking turned off. with those two turned off i'm able to play 720x480 16x9 at 1000 kps with 6 channel sound without dropping any frames. it looks pretty good and about the same if not better than xvid at 1500kps, at least on my 53 inch rear projection tv. turning on cabac caused a few frames to drop. and turning on deblocking caused over half the frames to be dropped on some scenes.

i haven't tested very many movies yet so i don't know if simply turning off those two options will work for everything. but here's to hoping Smile
sweet...

more good information.

i been turning off those features anyway because they increase the encoding time.

i've been converting the entire star trek dvd series to h264 at 1000 kps with 6 channel as well.  each episode shrinks from 1.8gb (mpeg2) down to less that 400mb.  i can hardly tell the difference in the two running on a computer side by side.  as a matter of fact i had the two running side by side and ask a friend to tell me which one was the original and which one has been re-encoded.  he picked the h264 version as the original...  :d

i can't wait to get home and try this out.

thanks again.
any downsides on this? bugs?
hi danoon!!.

did you try only with standard profile? or did you try with advance profiles or others?

and what abaut b frames? how b frames you config in your test videos?

now i'm compiling mplayer with your steps.!!

thanks for your advance!!

bye
well...i have a lot of errors compiling mplayer...

danoon, can you send it to any site for download your compiled mplayer.dll?

if you can send me it on my email: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

thanks!!
(igm3 @ june 25 2005,03:16 Wrote:well...i have a lot of errors compiling mplayer...
i had the same problem until i installed mingw-4.1.0 and gcc-core-3.4.4.

btw, where can i find short h264 video samples to test the new dll? i've tried google but without success Sad
<span style='color:red'>i'm sorry, but the next 24 hours (until 5 pm sunday) these files won't be available. lycos closed the server, because of abuse. feel free to host the files anywhere else.</span>

avc compatible mplayer.dll:
mplayer.dll

samples that play fine:
envy sample (standard avc (1400 kbit), full dvd resolution (720x560), he-aac (192 kbit), no cabac and no deblocking, 30 seconds, 5,9 mb)

final destination 2 sample (standard avc (1600 kbit), full dvd width (720x384) , he-aac (128 kbit), no cabac and no deblocking, 24 seconds, 5,1 mb)

final destination 2 sample 2 (standard avc (1600 kbit), full dvd width (720x384), he-aac (128 kbit), no cabac and no deblocking, 15 seconds, 3,2 mb)

with these settings it appears to be safe, to encode without frame drops. lower resolutions and/or video with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, make it (sometimes) possible to use cabac and/or deblocking as well.

sample that drops frames:
final destination 2 sample 3 (standard avc (1600 kbit), full dvd width (720x384), he-aac (128 kbit), cabac and deblocking activated, 15 seconds, 3,2 mb)

maybe somebody is able to make this sample work without dropping frames. if so, please share your xbmc settings.  Smile
(a600 @ june 25 2005,03:46 Wrote:
(igm3 @ june 25 2005,03:16 Wrote:well...i have a lot of errors compiling mplayer...
i had the same problem until i installed mingw-4.1.0 and gcc-core-3.4.4.

btw, where can i find short h264 video samples to test the new dll? i've tried google but without success Sad
hi a600.

i donwloaded some videos from emule, and others are doing for me because as danoon says, there are some options when you go to compress the video that can't handdle the xbox.

i get your same config for compile mplayer, and don't know why theese errors....
thanks ramobil!!!.

i can't donwload mplayer from your sitem, but i can download the videos!!
ok...with flash get, i can download mplayer.dll

going to test!!

thanks!!
(igm3 @ june 25 2005,10:09 Wrote:thanks ramobil!!!.

i can't donwload mplayer from your sitem, but i can download the videos!!
i'm posting the file again. check again in about 15 minutes. Smile
now works the download, but need we the codecs.conf? or another file for this version of mplayer?

thanks
(igm3 @ june 25 2005,10:27 Wrote:now works the download, but need we the codecs.conf? or another file for this version of mplayer?

thanks
i only replaced the mplayer.dll. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO play Nero AVC (H.264) in AVI0