Streaming over Home Network Woes
Hello all I have wanted to build an HTPC for a long time and have finally done so. I stumbled upon XBMC and have been having fun with both it and Make MKV (my collection is slowly being ported from iso.) The problem I am having is that I am using my gaming PC with 3TB (2 x 1.5 TB HD's in RAID 0) of storage for my media server across a wired CAT5e Network to stream media to my HTPC box with a puny 60GB SSD, the problem is I am getting sparatic playback, at times it will work fine. Then there are the times (seamingly at random intervals) when it will stop to buffer every 2-10 minutes which as you can imagine is very irritating. I am not convinced this is a network issue as it does the same thing with DVD files and Blu Ray. Also I have spent hours trying to solve this myself and searching before posting so if this has been dealt with I appologize.

HTPC
Biostar A55MH
AMD A4-3300
8GB DDR3 1866
LG Blu Ray Drive

Server
EVGA z68 FTW
Core i5 2500K
2 60 GB SSD's in RAID (Boot)
2 1.5 TB HDD's in RAID (Media)
Asus HD 6970

Network
Cat5e cabling
Run through Gigabit Switch
PC's directly connected to one another
Have you done a network bandwidth test to rule out the network? It could be a flaky network port or poor cabling. You should test that first to really make sure that is working properly.The only time I see buffering issues is when my Atom D525 server is really bogged down with CPU intensive processes and that is very rare. And I know I do have a cabling issue limiting my HTPC to just 10 MBytes/s, I just haven't taken the time to figure out which one it is.
I haven't really done a test,however in task manager it shows network utilization capping at 100 mbps when it is set up as a 1000 mbps network (That seams high for just streaming a movie?) I also tried linking to two PC's directly through CAT6 cable I had laying around, and had the same problem.
I had streaming issues with my motherboards network card. Ended up installing and switching to a Intel card and I now get the best speeds from my server. Just something to look at.
That is one thing I have been considering as the motherboard is a cheaper unit, and I have been unable to find any info on the LAN chipset in it (seems to be specific to that mobo)
all my movies are in iso format (or most of them) and they stream flawlessly on a wired 100 mbps network. try a different network card maybe? they are cheap enuf
Just transfer a large file from your PC to your HTPC and watch the transfer speed. If it reaches more than 11MB/s then there is nothing wrong with the connection. 100Mbps is more than twice the bandwith you need to stream an uncompressed bluray movie. In the worst scenes a bluray could reach 45Mbps.

I am on a 100Mbps network as well (got one component that isn't gigabit) but it is more than good enough for streaming. I can stream full HD + transfer files + surf the internet etc. all on the same network at the same time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming over Home Network Woes0