My El Cheapo XBMC Build - What you think?
I'm buying this from NCIX:

Inwin BP655 mITX Slim Case Black 1X5.25 1X3.5(1T) 1X3.5(0.8T) Front USB Audio W/ 200W PSU

ATOM D2700 2.13GHZ 1MB BOX 915835

Kingston KVR1066D3S8S7/2G 2GB 1066MHZ DDR3 204PIN SODIMM Sr X8 Unbuff CL7 1.5V Gold

What you folks think? Would this be a good starter box?

It might be because i'm tired but I don't see any storage in the above... which may be a problem.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
yeah. forgot about that. I was just going to use some USB sticks I have sitting around until I can grab a nice little SSD.
as far as cables go are you set on those? I found a website that has good cables as well as prices if needed I can provide the link. Free shipping if your in the states...
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
(2012-05-17, 14:57)Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote: as far as cables go are you set on those? I found a website that has good cables as well as prices if needed I can provide the link. Free shipping if your in the states...

cables for what? like hdmi? I live near a dollar store. Their HDMI cables work just as good as any other I've used Smile
Gonna pull the trigger on this soon. I changed the ram to 1x4gb. Should be a bit better.

I found a nice little 16gb mini-PCIe SSD on ebay for $30 shipped, I assume that would be decent enough for a starter box? Most of my media is shared from computers on my network anyway.
Also got me a Rii N7 mini kb there for $30.
This is shaping up nicely.

Is there anything I should be concerned about before pulling the trigger?
Graphics acceleration. What graphics does it have?

I'm not sure intel atom has enough grunt for CPU decode of HD files

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
yeah hdmi cables
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
(2012-05-18, 14:27)pseudo7 Wrote: Graphics acceleration. What graphics does it have?

I'm not sure intel atom has enough grunt for CPU decode of HD files

Intel Desktop Board D2700DC is integrated with the new Intel Atom processor D2700 and the Intel NM10 Express Chipset to offer an entry-level home theater system. The board features a 10/100/1000 integrated Intel LAN, 1080 high-definition video playback with HDMI port and Intel High Definition Audio (Intel HD Audio) via optical SPDIF output.

Graphics Controller Manufacturer: Intel
Graphics Controller Model: GMA 3650
Onboard Video: Yes

Processor & Chipset
Integrated Processor
Integrated Processor Cache: 1 MB
Integrated Processor Core: Dual-core (2 Core)
Integrated Processor Manufacturer: Intel
Integrated Processor Model: D2700
Integrated Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
Integrated Processor Type: Atom

That should do eh?
Which OS are you planning to use? I was considering getting that board myself, but learned that there's no Linux driver for the GMA3650 video chipset. There's also no driver for Windows XP... only Windows 7 is currently supported.
(2012-05-18, 19:06)artrafael Wrote: Which OS are you planning to use? I was considering getting that board myself, but learned that there's no Linux driver for the GMA3650 video chipset. There's also no driver for Windows XP... only Windows 7 is currently supported.

Hmm. Good to know.
What did you end up using instead?
I guess I could use windows 7 but that'd be quite the resource hog.
Any suggestions?
I'm just staying with my D510MO board for now. I was planning to upgrade to the D2700DC primarily so I can hookup XBMC to my TV via HDMI instead of VGA. However, since my external speakers are analog, I won't be getting the full benefit of HDMI anyway, so there's no rush for an upgrade (it's harder to sneak in a new set of speakers without the wife noticing that it is to swap in a new motherboard Wink ). I may still get the D2700DC if/when Linux support becomes available.

By the way, if you (or anyone else reading this thread) are at all considering XP, Intel is promising to have an XP driver out by next month.
Check this out.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6813157308
D2700 but with different video chip.
Built-in Intel PowerVR SGX545, DirectX 9.0, Pixel Shader 3.0

It says no 64 bit, but that should be fine correct?

Ah shit. just noticed theres no HDMI on that one.

HOWEVER...
this one does.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6813157307
and same video chip as above.
(2012-05-18, 20:13)igot6strings Wrote: Check this out.
Hmm, I don't think that PowerVR chipset is very Linux friendly.
(2012-05-18, 21:56)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-05-18, 20:13)igot6strings Wrote: Check this out.
Hmm, I don't think that PowerVR chipset is very Linux friendly.

Might not be linux friendly but XP should work no trouble eh?
I'm not set on specific board, if you have any suggestions that are low cost but do the job please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My El Cheapo XBMC Build - What you think?0