OS X Dropped frames in high bitrate scenes but not in VLC
Hi there,

I am currently running xbmc Eden 11on my macbook and everything plays fine for the most part; I am able to play 720p files with absolutely no dropped frames and as for 1080p movies they play smoothly except for high bitrate scenes when I get a lot of dropped frames. I have tried a lot of different options (sync playback to display, adjust refresh rate) but it did not make a difference.

So at first I thought it was hardware limitations seeing as I get very high CPU during those particular scenes and my graphic card does not allow hardware acceleration (too old macbook), but then I played those movies in VLC and I did not notice any problems during the scenes where I usually get like 150 dropped frames in 2 minutes. I posted a debug log of the short clip in question (first 30 seconds are fine as a comparison)

Anyway here is my question, is there something any of you can do or is it out of my hands?

Here is my info :

OSX Version 10.7.4
Platform MacBook Core 2 Duo 2,4 Ghz with 3GB RAM; Graphic card intel GMA x3100 so no Hardware Acceleration
Install Method DMG
SVN Revision XBMC Eden 11.0 (22nd Mars)
FULL Debug Log : http://pastebin.com/1AteWttQ

I stream my movies over local network using NFS and my macbook is wired
Here is the MediaInfo : http://pastebin.com/0h6diQsT

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this !

Edit : I have of course searched the forum about this particular problem but non of the previous threads that I found actually helped me solve the problem
09:35:54 T:2953850880 NOTICE: Open - VDADecoder Codec failed to open, currently in use by another process

reboot

09:35:34 T:2897236672 WARNING: Skin has invalid include: view_SlideMusic
09:35:34 T:2897236672 WARNING: Previous line repeats 2 times.
09:35:34 T:2897236672 WARNING: Skin has invalid include: view_SlideLandscape2
09:35:34 T:2897236672 WARNING: Skin has invalid include: view_SlideMusic

09:36:20 T:2897236672 DEBUG: Error: Requested setting (pvrplayback.signalquality) was not found. It must be case-sensitive
09:37:01 T:2960916480 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 970 times.

switch back to confluence and see if you have the same problem. your skin is borked.

Thank you for your reply, I did change my skin back to confluence and rebooted my MacBook and there was no change. Still the same amount of frame drops. So I'm guessing it is not the skin but as for the vda issue it still persists; I checked the log and there is the exact same error you pointed out
So I have two questions :

- my MacBook is an early 2008 and has an intel gma x3100, now I was under the impression that hardware acceleration was not supported with this kind of graphic card, do you think that it is ?

-if it is supported, is there any way that you know of so that I can identify the process using the vda decoder and kill ?

Thanks again for your help !
no hw acc with x3100 ... i have the same specs in my hackbook ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thank you for your input !
I just wanted to say if others have the same problem that I tremendously improved my situation. And all I did was update to the monthly version of may 3rd. In the exact same scene, instead of having 165 frame drops in a minute I get only 8. So that is a huge improvement for me because now xbmc can handle 1080p playback very smoothly on my Mac with no hardware acceleration.

Thank you very much for your replies and attention anyway !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dropped frames in high bitrate scenes but not in VLC0