AMD vs Intel (and Windows vs Linux)
Question 
Hi,

I used xbmc on my original xbox and new I'm ready to build a new, more powerful media center.

Presently I am stuck on the choice between AMD and Intel. I would like to run Linux (either OpenELEC or Ubuntu) on this box. I am familiar with Linux and don't mind the learning curve. Frankly I like the idea of open source, and I don't mind the tinkering. Based on several threads in the forum, AMD and Linux don't work well together because of driver issues. Is that still the case today?

If that is the case I shouldn't choose the A6 or A8 build in eskro's guide, right? That would lead me to either the Celeron or i3. I have an overall budget of $500, so I would lean towards the Celeron. Again according to eskro's guide, I wouldn't be able to do 3D 1080p without an a seperate GPU with the Celeron.

I've read about the 23.976 problem with SandyBridge. I've also read that there are lots of issues with 23.976, not just Intel (link1, link2). Are there any other concerns with Intel?

I guess I could try an AMD system with Linux and if it doesn't work well, install Windows. I don't like the fact the OS would be 20% of my budget, but if that's what it takes, I'm willing to do it.

BTW, I realize that without Windows I give up Netflix (not a priority right now) and the ability to Bitstream DOLBY TRUE-HD & DTS-HD MASTER (would be nice, but not needed right now).

Thanks for the help!
Im sure this has been discussed loads and you will get loyal windows and loyal linux users arguing which is better.... Heres my view, I have used Windows for years at work but over the past 3 years have used Ubuntu as my main desktop at home, htpc and as home server. In my opinion I am still fairly new to Ubuntu, dont get me wrong I love it.

I just built a A6-3500 build and planned to use Ubuntu. I have added a GT430 so I can bitstream as I overlooked the AMD drivers not supporting bitstreaming. Ubuntu is a huge learning curve, not so much setting up XBMC (its pretty simple apart from getting the sound to work). If your prepared to spend a lot of time on it then fine.

If I were you I would go AMD and windows the reason being that it will save you hours of time learning and will probably work out cheaper. If you go the linux route as you mentioned your either gonna need a discrete GPU for bitstreaming on AMD or if you use an Intel CPU then there is the 23.976 problem and it will probably cost more.

Once Intel release a onboard GPU with no 23.976 problem I would say go linux if your prepared to learn.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
We've had the Windows vs. Linux flame storm in the XBMC forums several times - but lately it's died down. For the most part, we don't care what OS you choose, as long as you run XBMC as your media center Smile
My personal take:
- use OpenElec if you want a appliance feel. It takes a lot of up front configuration, but once you're done, it's a very friendly setup for the family to use. Great for low end, low power, low noise hardware like the ION. You cannot do much streaming with this setup, since DRM on Linux is such a quagmire.
- Use Windows if you want to stream content, play games, or browse the web on your TV. Need a little bit more powerful machine than OpenElec. Also use Windows if you don't want to learn Linux.
- XBMCbuntu: I wouldn't recommend it ( even though it's what I'm using). It's kind of a platypus - mediocre at being a desktop system, while also making the XBMC app less stable. I try to use it as a appliance, but occasionally it kicks me out to a desktop requiring me to drag a mouse/keyboard into the living room. Audio is weird - XBMC app seems to hold a lock on video/audio resources so running external apps like emulators is a problem. Nightly builds are difficult to do for this platform, so they get skipped or broken often, so if that's important to you then avoid.

Most importantly, XBMC is for tinkerers. In order to do the minimum amount of tinkering, pick hardware that works! Sounds like you've been doing your research here on the forums, which is great.
These are exactly the kinds of opinions I was looking for, thanks!

teaguecl, you mentioned Windows working better for "streaming content". Are you referring watching content over the internet like Netflix and Hulu? It doesn't have anything to do with content on my local network right? I'm planning on using a NAS to store the my media.
For bitstreaming HD audio, Netflix, Google, etc, you'll be very happy with Windows...... and it work with all CPU and GPU.....!

Window are cheap here- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Full - Branded, and it work fine for me!

I doubt that Celerone can bitstream HD audio and 1080P 3D without discrete GPU....you might have better luck with this "Intel Core i3-2105".......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-06-07, 04:36)bluray Wrote: I doubt that Celerone can bitstream HD audio and 1080P 3D without discrete GPU....you might have better luck with this "Intel Core i3-2105".......

LGA1155 Celeron/Pentium can bitstream HD audio but they do not support 3D. For 3D you need to go i3/i5/i7.

My opinion on AMD vs. Intel / Windows vs. Linux is whichever gets the job done for the best value. What the job is will vary according to the needs of the user. Best value will also vary -- for some it's saving time, for some it's saving money or a balance or some other thing. I'll never make a blanket statement that in all cases one is better than the other. Which is better depends on what needs to be done.

(2012-06-07, 05:42)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-06-07, 04:36)bluray Wrote: I doubt that Celerone can bitstream HD audio and 1080P 3D without discrete GPU....you might have better luck with this "Intel Core i3-2105".......

LGA1155 Celeron can bitstream HD audio
Which Celeron/Pentium can bitstream DTS-HD/TrueHD without a discrete GPU?

I know the G620 can bitstream HD audio...
(2012-06-07, 07:43)azula Wrote: I know the G620 can bitstream HD audio...
Since Intel G620 included Intel HD2000 iGPU, it should be able to bitstream HD audio.....but I'm not sure which Celeron can bitstream HD audio!

(2012-06-07, 04:13)nukeman Wrote: These are exactly the kinds of opinions I was looking for, thanks!

teaguecl, you mentioned Windows working better for "streaming content". Are you referring watching content over the internet like Netflix and Hulu? It doesn't have anything to do with content on my local network right? I'm planning on using a NAS to store the my media.

You are correct, I meant Windows is better for Netflix/Hulu/etc. due to DRM. For streaming from your NAS, any variant of XBMC will perform the same.
All the Celerons/Pentiums can bitstream HD audio. It's supported by the integrated Intel HD GPU. All the previous generation Clarkdale processors could too (except the weird G6950 I believe).

- Arrandale/Clarkdale (Core i3/i5/i7): HDMI 1.3 with HD audio bitstreaming
- Sandy Bridge (Core i3/i5/i7): HDMI 1.4a 3D with HD audio bitstreaming
- Sandy Bridge (Pentium/Celeron): HDMI 1.3 with HD audio bitstreaming
- Ivy Bridge (Core i3/i5/i7): HDMI 1.4a 3D with HD audio bitstreaming
(2012-06-07, 18:08)Dougie Fresh Wrote: All the Celerons/Pentiums can bitstream HD audio. It's supported by the integrated Intel HD GPU. All the previous generation Clarkdale processors could too (except the weird G6950 I believe).

- Arrandale/Clarkdale (Core i3/i5/i7): HDMI 1.3 with HD audio bitstreaming
- Sandy Bridge (Core i3/i5/i7): HDMI 1.4a 3D with HD audio bitstreaming
- Sandy Bridge (Pentium/Celeron): HDMI 1.3 with HD audio bitstreaming
- Ivy Bridge (Core i3/i5/i7): HDMI 1.4a 3D with HD audio bitstreaming

Thanks, are there any problems with the Celeron/Pentiums? Because it is easily the cheapest option (even cheaper than A6).
(2012-06-07, 18:08)Dougie Fresh Wrote: All the Celerons can bitstream HD audio...
I doubt that all Celerons can bitstreaming DTS-MA/TrueHD, and definitely not all these Celerons- Intel® Celeron® Desktop Processor (Desktop).....unless, somebody can proved me wrong. I had a lot of troubles getting a powerful i5-2400 with HD2000 to bitstream properly. CptCook had a lot of headache with his i3 HD2000 last year, and he finally got it to bitstream this year......

(2012-06-07, 20:02)bluray Wrote:
(2012-06-07, 18:08)Dougie Fresh Wrote: All the Celerons can bitstream HD audio...
I doubt that all Celerons can bitstreaming DTS-MA/TrueHD, and definitely not all these Celerons- Intel® Celeron® Desktop Processor (Desktop).....unless, somebody can proved me wrong. I had a lot of troubles getting a powerful i5-2400 with HD2000 to bitstream properly. CptCook had a lot of headache with his i3 HD2000 last year, and he finally got it to bitstream this year......

Are we talking Linux? Windows? XBMC native player? MPC-HC? Just in general?

Visit here: http://assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=160#sandybridge
and look at Option 3.

This company builds HTPCs and they definitely know what they are talking about.

If that's not enough let me know and I'll take a picture of my AVR that's connected to my G530 at home Smile.

(2012-06-08, 00:27)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Are we talking Linux? Windows? XBMC native player? MPC-HC? Just in general?

Visit here: http://assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=160#sandybridge
and look at Option 3.

This company builds HTPCs and they definitely know what they are talking about.

If that's not enough let me know and I'll take a picture of my AVR that's connected to my G530 at home Smile.

This is XBMC forum, I'm always referring to bitstreaming DTS-HD/TrueHD using XBMC+Windows 7 without dropout........I know Assassin from avsforum, and he is all about Intel.....I used to spend a lot of times there!

He didn't mention anything about Celeron G440, G460, G530T and G540T in the link......

Manufactures will always claim that they can do a lot of things......Boxee and Xtreamer claimed that their media players can bitstream DTS-HD/TrueHD...I returned Boxee Box and Xtreamer Sidewinder due to DTS-HD/TrueHD dropout issues. They never fix it then......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD vs Intel (and Windows vs Linux)0