Technical challange with the Macbook and recovering the TV Signal
Hi guys, I have a bit of a technical challenge. I am running XBMC on my Macbook in clamshell mode connected via HDMI to my large TV. I have enabled sleep after 15 minutes of idle time on the Macbook to keep the laptop cool. If I don't do this, my Macbook shuts down after a few hours by itself - so sleep is a definite must. But what happens is that after the Macbook goes to sleep, the signal to the TV is lost, and if I try and use the Macbook remote, the TV signal is not returned but I can hear the navigation sounds coming from my AMP. The only way to bring the picture back is to move the mouse via Remote Connection and then the signal is back and the picture can be see on the TV.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Thank you for your help.
When the Mac goes to sleep it turns off the video port, as a result the TV no longer sees a signal and the TV will then go to sleep. When later the Mac is woken the Mac will not be getting a response from the TV and the Mac will switch to using just the built-in screen or if in clamshell mode it might be in headless display mode.

A possible solution that definitely cures similar problems such as having a TV switched to a different input (away from the Mac) or using an AV Receiver and again switching to a different input, or leaving the Mac on but the TV turned off is to use a device such as the Gefen HDMI Detective+

see http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

This will spoof the signal from the TV and ensure the Mac always thinks it is connected and live.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Technical challange with the Macbook and recovering the TV Signal0